HOW did Tony Abott get elected??!  

27 members have voted

1. 1. HOW did Tony Abott get elected??!

• Because the ALP LOST
    • Because he is a great guy!
    • The boats had to be stopped
    • Australians, apathetic by default, are forced to vote
    • I'm buggered if I know!!?
    • It doesn't matter, he be booted out in 2016 (or sooner)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't yet met a real person who doesn't think he is a bit of an arse, to put it politely.

So, the question is......HOW is he PM?

Easy

1.His good looks.

2.His eloquent speeches.

3.How great he looks in swim wear.

Oh wait, I am thinking of George Clooney. Silly me, that happens a lot when I get distracted.

Ok, let's try again

1.His uncanny likeness to Gollum

2.His ability to put his foot in his mouth - continually.

3.No comment.

Easy

1.His good looks.

2.His eloquent speeches.

3.How great he looks in swim wear.

Oh wait, I am thinking of George Clooney. Silly me, that happens a lot when I get distracted.

Ok, let's try again

1.His uncanny likeness to Gollum

2.His ability to put his foot in his mouth - continually.

3.No comment.

So you're as bemused as me then?

I haven't yet met a real person who doesn't think he is a bit of an arse, to put it politely.

So, the question is......HOW is he PM?

Come on Harpo, we all know that the only people you associate with are the sort of lefties who considered Bob Hawke and Paul Keating to be dangerous right wing radicals.

It probably would not have mattered who the Liberals chose as leader because the ALP had screwed up so badly under Ruddillard.

But one of the main problems with the left was that they could NEVER accept that people actually liked Tony Abbott.

You forgot one option

Because he made many promises

hardly any of which he kept

He promised to 'stop the boats' and he did.

He promised to end the carbon tax, and he did.

I'll forgive him the ones he reneged on. It's like a footie manager saying he will deliver the EPL and the Champions League but failing to win the League Cup.

Current 2 party preferred polling is approx 51 to 49 in favour of ALP.

So very close considering the tough budget.

I expect by election time Coalition will be in front and get re-elected.

So don't get too carried away Harpo.

I don't believe in lightning striking twice in the same place parley.

I also don't believe the average man on the street will ever forgive Abott/Hockey for the budget

I wonder how Bill Shorten's vote will be impacted after the rape allegation.

It will be interesting to see how women react if they do.

Actually BOTH parties praised him for his openness about that, and he showed that rather than lying and obfuscating (like his opponent would have done - and did - about the allegations of his violence against women) he was prepared to front up and be open about the situation. I think he came out of it very well.

Edited by Diane
Don't want to get the forum introuble

Campbell Newman is doing such a bad job in Queensland that I can see this whole state turning to Labour in the next elections.

Slashing government investment doesn't work when the wider economy is struggling.

Isn't it true.

You're stuck with your British PM for 5 years before you can turf him out.

Here you only have to wait 3.

Is there another country that has more frequent elections ?

That is why Harpo is so upset. He is only guaranteed another two years with Tony, but if it was England, he could expect at least another four!

No Diane we haven't.

Not an accusation - as I said, just a rumour I've heard from a couple of different sources now.. just wondered if anyone else had! Honestly, you are so ready to leap down anyone's throat that dares even mention anything about your dear leader you are starting to look hilarious!

@parleycross and MARY, is there ANYTHING you guys disagree with about the Abott govt

I've never seen such unswerving loyalty to a political party from members of the public.

I am as cynical as anybody about politicians, and doubtless, we will experience at least a couple of full blown scandals before the next election.

But at the same time, I recognize that my life does not change all that much, whichever party is in power. Yes, I vote Tory, but I liked both Tony Blair and Bob Hawke.

The plain fact is that Kevin Rudd was voted into office with a large majority, yet within a couple of years he, and Juliar (and Wayne), had stuffed things up.

Forget about the right or wrong of the asylum seeker issue, and tell me why dismantling John Howard's policy was a sensible move? And then add on all the other cock-ups, including the way in which Rudd was 'knifed in the back', a serving, election-winning PM, remember, and follow that up with bringing him back, when they realized that Juliar was even worse.

Again, forget about whether you vote Labor or Liberal, and try to look at it objectively. Can't you overcome your innate hatred of Tony Abbott to see that it was a major stuff up, whichever party was involved?

You wanted Tony Abbott to fail. You wanted Malcolm Turnbull (a 'good' Liberal) to win the leadership. You still want him to come back. You could never accept all the way through the two awful Labor terms of office, that he was a viable alternative. Juliar only won office anyway, and kept herself in power, through conniving with those awful independent MP's. And then she went further to put that even more awful Liberal traitor into the Speaker's role.

You will never stop wanting, yearning, for Tony Abbott to make a major stuff up. He may well do it too. He is, after all, just a politician.But so far, his stuff ups have been minor ones. OK, so he reneged on the Racial Discrimination Act, but that is hardly on the scale of 'No Government I lead will ever introduce a carbon tax.' OK, so Joe Hockey made a slip up. He is neither the first, nor the last.

And remember that I live in NSW, having lived through one of the most corrupt State (ALP) Government's of our history. Whenever we go to the polls, we always think about that.

I know it is hard for you to be objective. I am the same way about Tottenham Hotspur. But sometimes you just have to face the facts!