Darwin Cost of Living

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

The cost of living in the NT continues to rise above the national average, new figures released by the Australia Bureau of Statistics show.

The price of everything from breakfast cereal, to alcohol, meat and eating in restaurants has increased since March.

Figures show Darwin’s cost of living increased 3.3 per cent in the June quarter above the national average of 3 per cent.

That was driven by increases in most areas including medical, dental and hospital services as well as food prices.

Garment prices for men actually decreased slightly, as did gas and major household appliances – but not by much.

Labor said the latest figures are further proof that inflation is making the Territory too expensive to live. “On the three key indicators of housing, transport and groceries our cost of living has increased faster than Sydney,” Labor leader Delia Lawrie said.

“In the case of transport we have leapfrogged every other Australian capital.

“All Territorian households are feeling the pinch because of the CLP’s inability to keep a lid on rising prices,” she said.

Treasurer Dave Tollner said he was pleased to see a decrease in inflation costs from March when it was measured at 3.6 per cent to the current 3.3 per cent.

“The Government has said for nearly 12 months now that when an economy is experiencing nation-leading economic growth, supply and demand pressures inevitably result, particularly in the area of housing,” Mr Tollner said, adding that the Government was addressing housing issues by releasing more land.

A survey released by Numbeo earlier this month ranked Darwin 12th on their list of the most expensive cities in the world in which to live – above Paris and New York.

ON THE WAY UP

Darwin - 3.3%

Perth - 3.3%

Melbourne - 3.2%

Brisbane - 3.2%

Adelaide - 3.1%

Sydney - 2.8%

Hobart - 2.8%

Canberra - 2.2%

(Inflation increase from June 2013 to June 2014)

Who on earth would want to live in Darwin anyway...As said before its pathetic how the cost of living soars as soon as a major construction project begins in a backwater town...I live in Tassie after spending 2 years in boring WA and wouldnt live anywhere else in Australia..

In Australia it is like the gold rush days as everything is still based upon natural resources and there isn't any other industry

I do like Darwin and Cairns, both are still proper Australia but the expense everywhere is crushing the country. I just dont see the point in living here any more due to this fact, unless you have been here about 10 years already then your lifestyle isnt going to be what it was back home for many....

Guest The Pom Queen
In Australia it is like the gold rush days as everything is still based upon natural resources and there isn't any other industry

I do like Darwin and Cairns, both are still proper Australia but the expense everywhere is crushing the country. I just dont see the point in living here any more due to this fact, unless you have been here about 10 years already then your lifestyle isnt going to be what it was back home for many....

I have to agree with this, I love Darwin and Cairns but unless you have a very well paid job to come to it's probably a place to come once you have money behind you. Mind you the cost has gone up everywhere compared to when we first arrived.