Pregnant!!! On A 457 Visa

Guest JCE+1

Guest JCE+1

Hi

We've just found out I'm pregnant!!! (due end of Jan 08) so really early days. We are still in SHOCK! :shocked:

Our application for a 457 temp employer sponsored visa has been submitted and we are about to have x-rays for me and my husband and x-ray and medical for 13 yr old son and medical for 2 yr old daughter.

My head is spinning as we had planned not to have anymore children - we have 4 already.

I have loads of questions rushing round in my head.

Can anyone tell me can we still go ahead with the application and go to oz before the baby arrives? We were planning to go end of September this year.

As we will be on a temp visa initially, will I be covered by Medicare if I have the baby in Oz?

Hope someone will be able to answer my questions.

Thanks

JCE+1

Guest kdal

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!!!!!!!!

Sorry though can't answer your question, but wouldn't have thought you could have the X-Ray now! But not a medical person so can't answer that either!

Whereabouts in Oz are you of too?

Guest JCE+1
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!!!!!!!!

Sorry though can't answer your question, but wouldn't have thought you could have the X-Ray now! But not a medical person so can't answer that either!

Whereabouts in Oz are you of too?

Hi

We've looked into x-ray, it seems that it is very low risk.

We were looking at Melbourne. Not sure whether being pregnant is going to scupper our plans. Only just found out so we've in a bit of a panic at the moment. We need to find out if employer will defer the sponsorship if necessary. Thing is we're not getting any younger - I'm 41 and OH is 42. We have kids aged 17, 16, 13 and 2 already - it's much harder work when you're older - as I said we're still in shock!

Thanks for your reply.

Where are you heading and how far down the line are you?

JCE+1

Guest kdal

Hi, We are heading Brisbane or Adelaide (looking like Brisbane though). We are in the process of getting everything together for our TRA and it's such hard work! We are applying for a 136 Visa.

What a lovely opportunity you are giving your children, are they excited about the move?

Is it your Hubbie that's being sponsored to go? If so I wouldn't have thought they would turn him down because your are expecting, and especially seeing as you have to pay for your own medical attention in Australia anyway.

My Aunt, Nan and cousin live in Melbourne. In fact my Dad's there next week visiting them all as my Nan has just gone into a home and her house is being sold so that we can fund the care she needs now (bless). Anyway she has settled into her nursing home really well and has lots of friends and her room looks over the sea!

Sorry to be rambling on

Take care

p.s. you got all those lovely children to look after you when you get old (lol)

Hi and congratualtions on your new arrival on the way!!!!

Sorry to be a bringer of bad news but i would be VERY and i mean VERY surprised if they let you have an xray... especially as you are in the first trimester..... i might be wrong and i appologise if i am .... but i don't think i am!!!.....

min x:wubclub:

I thought you couldn't have the x-ray, I am sure you have to wait. Personally, I think they would only do an x-ray if you were pregnant if they really had to. I'm sure that for the PR visa there was something about having to wait if you were pregnant until the baby was born to proceed.

Ali

Guest Abi&Dan

congrats to you all!!

with regards to the visa think you might have issues if it's you being sponsored rather than hubby (maybe you could switch to his occ if that's the case?)

as far as medicare goes you should be ok - UK and Oz have repricopal agreement re healthcare - also don't think you have to wait longer than 10 days to get medicare registered when you emigrate - and as far as I know that includes temp too (blummin hope so as that's what OH will be on and we wont be able to afford private!!)

Interesting to note - apparently only around 35% of Aussies pay for private care so Medicare must be pretty good all round.

Guest leanneandmark

I'm pretty sure pregnant women and children under 10, don't have to have an xray.

And congratulations, Enjoy it!!

Leanne

Hi

We've just found out I'm pregnant!!! (due end of Jan 08) so really early days. We are still in SHOCK! :shocked:

Our application for a 457 temp employer sponsored visa has been submitted and we are about to have x-rays for me and my husband and x-ray and medical for 13 yr old son and medical for 2 yr old daughter.

My head is spinning as we had planned not to have anymore children - we have 4 already.

I have loads of questions rushing round in my head.

Can anyone tell me can we still go ahead with the application and go to oz before the baby arrives? We were planning to go end of September this year.

As we will be on a temp visa initially, will I be covered by Medicare if I have the baby in Oz?

Hope someone will be able to answer my questions.

Thanks

JCE+1

Hi JCE+1

Generally speaking, no X-ray means no visa for you but as the UK is considered to be only a medium Risk TB Country, there may be a way to get the 457 or emergency visa (303)

The Australian Government does not recommend taking a chest X-ray while pregnant - if you do, then they will process your 457 application.

To try and get a visa without the chest X-ray, the following procedure must be followed:

1 You must not have lived in a high, or very high, risk TB Country for 3 consecutive months or more in the past 5 years - so you state this in writing to your case officer

2 you need to outline urgent and compelling reasons as to why you can not await the 457 visa until after the birth of your child. This would normally be argued from how this would affect the sponsoring employer ie the employer's need is urgent and a delay of nearly a year unaceptable to the employer.

If your case officer then agrees that you do have strong grounds, the case officer will request a medical, including a blood test for Hep B, from you in stead of the chest X-ray. The case officer will then refer your medical to the Commonwealth Medical Officer (MOC)requesting consideration of deferring the chest X-ray requirement until after you have arrived in Australia and after you have had the baby. If the medical suggests no history of chest disease, the MOC can approve subject to Health undertaking that you contact the nearest chest Clinic in Australia within 1 week of arrival so the ycan monitor your whereabouts until after the birth.

Regards

Tony Coates

MARN 0635896

• 1 year later...
Guest kirstystewart13

Hi

I do not know if it is essential for pregnant women to have an x-ray and I would be surprised if it was enforced. However I am a radiographer and you seem to be given some incorrect info on here concerning this and pregnancy. It will be a chest x-ray you are having and the risks are very low as the dose for this is so low. When women come for chest x-rays they are never routinely asked if they are pregnant. Women are only asked if they are pregnant when the x-ray is above the knee and below the diaphragm. Also if you tell the radiographer you are pregnant they will put some protective lead around your abdomen. So don't worry about it if you are made to have one. x

Archived