healthcare

batman

Guest Abi&Dan

Computer totally just crashed on me!!So to type again:

You pay out of salary like NI conts but think it's about 4% stead of 11%; you pay for stuff and Medicare reimburses costs (but not always all of them - depends); dental isn't covered - and is apparently expensive in Oz; if you don't go private the medicare levy rises after age 30.

I hate people dissing the NHS - despite it's problems it's still a brilliant health service and I think we'll miss it in Oz :cry: (but not enough to come back :wink: )

Guest Abi&Dan

By the way - slightly off topic but concerning costs - does Oz have a state pension and if so how do you pay for it (obv in UK it's through NI)?

Cheers

Hi Sally

I have no idea how it works (sorry), but I do know my mom and stepdad have been there for 10 yrs now and have never had medical ins.

Some things they pay for and some they dont!

When my stepdad had a heart attack he was cared for very well, and they never paid anything. He also had to have an angiagram (sp?) I think thats what its called, when they put the dye around the heart.

He was flown from Alice Springs (where they lived at the time) to Adelaide, had the test done, had a stent (?) put in and flown back, all for free.

But my mom has had to pay a few grand to have her knee cleaned out with key hole surgery and was told she'll need a new knee when shes older.

Sorry cant really help.

Sam xx

Guest Dave53

Batman ,

I work in the health service so I have a bit more insight into the situation . Australia has its own version of the NHS known as Medicare . It is financed by a Tax levy imposed on all tax payers of about 1.5% of your taxable income .This contribution rate increases over a certain income level , of which I'm not sure .Medicare may not cover 100% of your medical bills . For example GP's may charge you a sum over the Medicare fee , and you will have to pay the difference . Dental care is expensive , so get your teeth fixed up before arrival here . A+E services are provided free at hospitals as are most other inpatient facilities . As an example my daughter has recently suffered a broken leg , the A+E component and hospital inpatient services were free but she had to pay for Orthopaedic consulations which so far have cost about $200, and only $65 was able to be claimed back from Medicare .About 35% of all Australians take out some form of health insurance cover, and of course its an individual choice . Finally , Australia ranks below Britain and Germany in the latest Health care surveys ..

Hope this helps .

Hi,

I only made one trip to the Dr and it cost $57 I think I got about $35 back. Children at our doctors are bulk billed so won't have to pay for the kids. My childrens school offers free dental treatment for the kids but Alex needs a brace and I have to pay for that.. It was $50 for the consultation fee and I'm told her braces will cost me about $3,000 - $4000 (gulp). We have private cover for ambulance, dental and optical, but there's a 12 month wait period to claim.

A&E are free but out of hours GP's arent' which means like UK A&E dept;s get glogged with non emergency patients.

Over the counter stuff like antihitamines seems expensive to me $18 the other day for a pk

You need to be in the country 10 working days before you can go and register for medicare.

Ali

Archived