Where to live???

Guest washo

Guest washo

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this site, so please go easy on me & i apolagise now if these are questions already answered before!

The wife & I are in the process of geting our visa 136.

We were always set on living in Adelaide, now as things are getting slightly nearer, we are not so sure.

All the research we have done so far pointed to Adelaide, by no means perfect but after weighing up everything, looked the best place for us.

There were lots of things we took into consideration, which we thought were best for us & our dog!

We understand all parts are different, so no place is going to tick every box, otherwise we would all live there!!

So can you help with the following questions please :

Best weather

Not too humid

Not too many thunderstorms! (dog is a wimp)

Hours of sunshine/seasons/not getting too dark too early

Too many flies

Snakes/spiders/piosenous toads (dog again)

Traffic jams (grew up on the M25, well not litrelay)

Nice beaches

Good house prices

Employment

Crime

Some might regard some of the questions as silly but when your moving from the other side of the world, you want to get as right as poss!

Many thanks

Pete

PS sorry about spelling & sorry as i think ive posted this twice!!

Guest Abi&Dan

Reckon Adelaide may tick the most of your boxes there - though there are a fair few people who visit here who actually live there and will be able to confirm specifically.

I would also suggest Melbourne would also tick boxes, though weather is not quite so hot as Adelaide (think I've read A has the hottest summers in Oz?!)

Only place I know is out for you is Brissy - gets dark early, loads more poisonous stuff, very humid, very scary thunderstorms.

Hope it helps a little - it's tought to choose! :idea:

Guest jonseywife

Hi Pete

I reckon Melbourne sounds like it might suit you........ Were heading for bayside suburbs on the Mornington Peninsular, mainly for the reasons on your wish list!!!!

Try these couple of links, it might help with your research (or confuse you even more - sorry!!!)

http://www.anewlifeinmelbourne.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington_Peninsula

http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/regions/morningtonpeninsula/

Good luck!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Guest Rachel&Stu

Hiya Pete,

Sympathise with you, kinda think most people on here not 100% sure which is the best State for them!

Personally, it was decided for us, as Melbourne is where the course is that my OH will be studying, but we've never been there:biglaugh:

We have been to Perth, though, which we both absolutely love. Perth's climate is: hot/dry or warm/dry lol! Winter temps 15-18degC, Summer temps 30-40degC, occasionally up to 45degC.

Poisonous snakes and spiders are countrywide in Australia, just different species in different States.

House prices: South Australia and Tasmania, I understand, have the cheapest housing. NSW (Sydney) most expensive.

Beaches: Perth again, from my own experience. Has miles and miles of coastline, fabulous beaches, blue blue blue Indian Ocean.

Crime: not sure how this varies State to State.

Flies/humidity: Think Queensland and Northern Territory worst for this.

Traffic: all the State capital cities have lots of traffic, I understand. Drive out of Perth and it's lovely - miles and miles of open road.

Good luck in your quest!

Rachel:jiggy:

Guest Vicar of Dibley

Hi Guys!

We are heading for Adelaide which we loved. There are a few nutters on PIO already living there (Lazy Cow being one), she will I'm sure give you all the info if you want it.

Its a tricky choice innit! Nice...but tricky.......

Good luck and welcome to the forum,!

Guest Fat Boy Fat

So can you help with the following questions please :

Best weather

Not too humid

Not too many thunderstorms! (dog is a wimp)

Hours of sunshine/seasons/not getting too dark too early

Too many flies

Snakes/spiders/piosenous toads (dog again)

Traffic jams (grew up on the M25, well not litrelay)

Nice beaches

Good house prices

Employment

Crime

QUOTE]

This is how I see Adelaide so not everyone will agree

Best weather - I think the weather is great, but I like hot summers.

Not too humid - never

Not too many thunderstorms! (dog is a wimp) - There are thunderstorms my dogs don't mind they are Aussies

Hours of sunshine/seasons/not getting too dark too early - you will never see the long summer nights you get in the UK but you do get a feel of seasons and xmas by the pool and new year on the beach is great.

Too many flies - Tropical strength aerogard insect repellent.

Snakes/spiders/piosenous toads (dog again) - I have seen snakes and we have had spiders in the house Huntsmen the size of your hand. also I have been bitten by a red back.

Traffic jams (grew up on the M25, well not litrelay) - nothing like the M25

Nice beaches - I think so and always space around you.

Good house prices - Prices are going up

Employment - Depends on what you do. Some people have not found it easy to find.

Crime - Depends on what crimes you want to commit.

I love living in Adelaide but I never went anywhere else so who knows if it is the best place all I can say it suits me. And before you ask if I miss anything from England the answer is no, everything is here just in different bottles.

• 3 months later...
Guest Markie1

Hi Fat Boy Fat

Just been reading ypur comments, we are looking to move to Adelaide, well saying that like the idea of it and need to start the form process.

I come from London, so first places athat appealed to me were Fulham, Mitcham and like the sound of Happy Valley. How do we find out about the suburbs, haven't got a clue.

We have a 10 year old son, so schools are important, I fit double glazing and am an all rounder builder, my wife is a school secretary.

We too, have a whimp of a dor and a hard face subborn cat.

How long have you been in Australia and what made you move, do you have any regrets. Personally I believe quality of life is better, got nothing to back it up, we are in our early 40's and want a life and the best for our son.

Any comments much appreciated.

Mark

Archived