How do you cope with early sunsets?

ImageConfident

One of our main reasons for moving has to be to enjoy the outside and the sunshine. I love being able to sit and eat outdoors and absolutely love the sunshine.

However, I was a little disappointed to see that it seems to get darker earlier in Aus than in the UK (summer time - don't count British winter as I need to use a sun lamp). I had read to expect this in Brisbane, but even in Adelaide it seems that it will be dark by 8pm.

Realistically we are both going to need to work full time, so what do most people do after work in an evening? Do you still sit out but under artificial or candle light, or does everyone retreat back indoors.

How do you find it living in Brisbane and coming home from work in the dark every day?

Thanks Cath

Well it's tough. It's autumn now, it was about 26' yesterday on the sunny coast, swam and sat and round the pool during the day. Then we ate our evening meal outside, and stayed out till about 8.30. yes the light was on, but it was a lovely warm evening and the moon was so bright it almost wasn't needed.

We tend to be more day time people than evening people so don't really notice the dark evenings keeping us inside as we wouldn't be out anyway. My youngest son plays outside a lot and he just sticks the outside light on and goes and plays outside anyway. Although it still gets dark early(ish) in winter the daytime light is much brighter than in the UK so you still feel like you get plenty of light. My OH used to suffer from SAD in the UK but he is fine here.

Well it may be darker earlier but as people have said it's a stronger brighter sunlight and happens allot more often, My problem hasn't been the sunlight more getting eaten by mossies :laugh: I seem to be a delicacy they love. Looking forward to them all going away. I know you can use repellant and I do but would much prefer not being food for them. Hope you settle in and love it as much as I'm loving being in Sydney :biggrin:

Sunshine is gone in the evening even in the UK summer. It starts setting and the evening sun is much weaker so not sure there is really that much difference tbh. Its daylight more than sunshine isn't it?

FWIW I've found it fine here in Adelaide. In summer it was often too hot to want to be out and about being busy in the evenings, so tend to get up and get out in the mornings. Also we do head out in the evenings, the park, for a walk along the beach, a bike ride and still get a good sun shining down on us till later on. You'll be able to catch it fine for a couple of hours after work I am sure. Also we do things like cycle (to work) and so get daylight/sunshine that way.

I really don't see it as a problem tbh. OK so not sat outside at 9pm in fading daylight but having had strong sunshine pretty much all day, most days, its not missed.

One of our main reasons for moving has to be to enjoy the outside and the sunshine. I love being able to sit and eat outdoors and absolutely love the sunshine.

However, I was a little disappointed to see that it seems to get darker earlier in Aus than in the UK (summer time - don't count British winter as I need to use a sun lamp). I had read to expect this in Brisbane, but even in Adelaide it seems that it will be dark by 8pm.

Realistically we are both going to need to work full time, so what do most people do after work in an evening? Do you still sit out but under artificial or candle light, or does everyone retreat back indoors.

I do miss the longer nights especially as I come from Aberdeen originally, where it barely gets dark in summer at all! It depends on your job, but if you're working in a corporate job (where you get stuck in the office till 6) then have a long commute home, there isn't much time to enjoy the light.

However you get used to the fact that you can only enjoy the sunshine on weekends (unless you're an early riser). However don't overlook the attraction of balmy evenings - you can still go for a walk even if it's dark, or sit out in the garden. Just watch out for the mozzies.

Edited by Marisawright

As difficult as it may be to imagine now, there will be many times you will be heading for the shade, not the sun....and days when you will be hanging out for the sun to set! :yes:

How do you find it living in Brisbane and coming home from work in the dark every day?

Thanks Cath

I turn the lights on, hope it helps

The best time of evening is just before and just after sunset. Aussie homes are well set up for al fresco evenings. Outdoor lights..warmth...what more is needed? Winter evenings very nearly as much fun but with a firepit! Bbqs round the fire and its not icy cold either but chilly enough.

Thanks Cath

Well there is more sunshine in Australia, but there is a different daylight pattern that you need to get used to. As Australia is nearer to the equator than UK the days are more even and you do not get the really long, late summer nights here. It is something that I do miss but you get used to it. I am not bothered about the offset of it going dark slightly later in winter as I am in work anyway and always go home in the dark in the winter regardless.

Thank you everyone for your input. It is reassuring to know that life still goes on even after the sun sets.

After a couple of sunny days here in the UK this week we are all scrabbling about like mad men just to enjoy 5 minutes of it because its such a novelty. Completely hadn't appreciated that I may be grateful for some shade when we move lol.

Mozzies shouldn't be an issue for me, but my poor daughter gets eaten alive :-( though have noticed we get a lot more now in the UK than we ever used to.

Early sunsets are great it gives us fishos more time to catch fish,as you know all the big ones come out at night.its a fishos paradise.But in all honesty compared to uk summer nights being light till 10pm like I remember,here its dark at 8.00pm ish is a bit of a pig but after 7yrs you acclimatise.

Guest Ptp113
I still have nightmares about the dark Winter days in Britain when it got dark about 3.30pm. Gruesome.

And trying to do a paper round after school in that god awful pommy weather in the dark. Not sure how I did it tbh

I still have nightmares about the dark Winter days in Britain when it got dark about 3.30pm. Gruesome.

I must admit I really hate that time of year when basically it gets light about 8 and dark about 4, the older I get the more I struggle with the winters, especially working outside. When we were in Australia I loved the early morning sunshine as we are early risers and the sun setting early was not an issue