things ill miss v Things ill look forward to

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

Real Ale v ice cold lager on a hot day

Soccer AM v ??????

THE SUN (newspaper) v SMHeralds pommie bashing on the back page

Corrie v first edition neighbours

New british Bands v seeing them at a small venue cause the hype aint reached oz yet

Brixton Academy v venue on george street (cant remember the name).

so on that basis im going to miss soccer am,the fact that I wont have to pay sky's fee's means i aint that bovvered........yaaaahoooooo...oz here we come:jiggy:

Guest THE JONEZYS

We have bombarded SOCCER AM with emails, begging them to show the program down here we miss it soooooooooo much!! Just have to keep watching the dvd for now:cry:

LESLEY

Guest SAINTHURLOCK
We have bombarded SOCCER AM with emails, begging them to show the program down here we miss it soooooooooo much!! Just have to keep watching the dvd for now:cry:

LESLEY

todays was not a classic but there were a few good bits,Manchester News was good,cctv footage of locals going about thier business in manc,they all looked like liam gallagher or bez,had to see it really,

Guest THE JONEZYS

Well at least now that the clocks have changed both ends of the globe, we get to watch football at a descent time, especially if its a 1pm ko.

Liverpool v Arsenal is on as I type !

We pay for foxtel....same as Sky but not as good. The tv here is complete crap, unless you like ......The Bill, CSI and any other police series that have ever been made.

Lesley

Guest SAINTHURLOCK
Well at least now that the clocks have changed both ends of the globe, we get to watch football at a descent time, especially if its a 1pm ko.

Liverpool v Arsenal is on as I type !

We pay for foxtel....same as Sky but not as good. The tv here is complete crap, unless you like ......The Bill, CSI and any other police series that have ever been made.

Lesley

pants!! hoping once i get over there i will have better things to do than watch telly!! hold on aminute...whats better than watching telly:biggrin:

Guest Vicar of Dibley

Afternoon all

Sorry can't do the sport thread but here are some of the things I will miss /Look forward to.

Will miss:

Miserable, sullen faced shop assistants in every shop I go into

People walking around with faces like a slapped arse

Throwing rotten sprouts at the TV every time Tony Blair comes on

Having to cope with a hose pipe ban even though its been Hissing down in Wales since records began!

Having to be PC with everyone regardless if they are taking advantage and having a laarf at my expense

Dithering between whether I throw the spouts at Tony Blair or Gordon Brown!!!

Grey skies. endless drizzle, traffic jams, road works with no-one actually working on them!!!

Parents who don't give a s**t how rude their kids are or even where they are..!!!

Rubbish, graffitti, dirty public places,

Not being able to celebrate Christmas at school in case we offend someone!!!

What I am looking Forward to:

Clean air

Positive people

Blue skies

No class hang ups

Fresh start

Feeling of having really accomplished something

Making new friends

Being part of an up front / honest / Non PC community

Doing something positive for the children

Calling a spade a spade if not a bl**dy shovel....

Not having to be nice to the French/Germans or any one involved in Brussels....

Sorry .I'm hyperventillating now 'coz of excitement!!!!! :swoon:

hi to vicar of dibley

What a great reply hear hear,soz not in house of commons!!! LOL but totally agree with your list:

miserable folk in shops

traffic jams

rudeness fron kids(not my own) only occasionally as being stroppy 11 year old!!!

crap politicians(who i have never voted for)

the list goes on

things to look forward to DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! quieter pace of life,quality weekends especially in the winter months!!! Roll on OZ!!!

Guest Ian&Lou

What a great thread!

The view as I drive into work (it's gorgeous!) v views of the beach

Hotel Babylon v not having telly on and enjoying a glass of wine on the patio

All my friends here in the uk :cry: v making lots of new ones in Oz

A nice lamb stew on a cold day v a good steak done on the barbie

Snuggling up in front of the fire watching a really old film v laying on the beach admiring surfers!:yes:

Lou

:embarrassed: :embarrassed: Hi SAINTHURLOCK Topical Post Listening to the footy on a sat afternoon on the radio but after todays result me thinks i wont miss this at all and i should learn the rules of oz rules football instead. (very embarassed WOLVES fan!!!!!!):embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Guest Vicar of Dibley

Amen to that!

Now can we all stop feeling apologetic about telling the truth about the UK and start rejoicing about our hopes and dreams...

Now we are all going to rise and sing PSALM NUMBER....... Just kidding!

Raise the glass of Holy Water to...Our New Life In Oz....

:biggrin:

After reading this post i am a bit suprized - do you all really think that Australia is THAT PERFECT !!!!!

sainthurlock - you can get real ale here in oz & vist the website www.thesun.co.uk also we get english football in alot of the pubs and on foxtel & SBS also corrie too.

Vicar of dibley

we get grey skies here along with drizzle and heavy rain and hailstones big %&%% hailstones also we have miserable shop assistants and the customer service is awful !!! we have rubbish dumped on side of roads, graffiti and traffic jams and plenty of road works and all the other things that you have mentioned !!!

Ian&lou we get hotel babylon just waiting for it to start the new season here in oz.

I´m really sorry but most peeps seem to think that Australia is perfect well its not and after you have all been here a few months and got into your routine the rose specs will fall off and you will see the real Australia is much the same as the UK

Guest JoanneHattersley

After reading this post i am a bit suprized - do you all really think that Australia is THAT PERFECT !!!!!

sainthurlock - you can get real ale here in oz & vist the website www.thesun.co.uk also we get english football in alot of the pubs and on foxtel & SBS also corrie too.

Vicar of dibley

we get grey skies here along with drizzle and heavy rain and hailstones big %&%% hailstones also we have miserable shop assistants and the customer service is awful !!! we have rubbish dumped on side of roads, graffiti and traffic jams and plenty of road works and all the other things that you have mentioned !!!

Ian&lou we get hotel babylon just waiting for it to start the new season here in oz.

I´m really sorry but most peeps seem to think that Australia is perfect well its not and after you have all been here a few months and got into your routine the rose specs will fall off and you will see the real Australia is much the same as the UK

Hi there Gizmo -

you are right. Australia isnt perfect but the way I look at it is, that it is a LOT MORE PERFECT than the UK!

Over here we (OH and me) have found:

* people say Have a nice day - and mean it!

* weather is good 90% of the time - which is much better than the 90% crap weather in UK

* rush hour is better - laughable compared to M25!!!!

* traffic jams - Brissie traffic jams are nothing after driving through the centre of London!

* kids have respect - i have been offered seats many a time on buses and trains (I am only 35 and not pregnant either!)

* We have ordered goods and had them delivered ina third of the time that the UK would do that in!

* 90% of shop assistants I have dealt with have been great and more than helpful!

PLUS....

If you are coming to Australia who the hell wants to read the Sun newspaper anyway!??!? That wasnt news...it was all scandal!

Coronation Street.....pleeaaassseeee~! Get out and see the world!!!

Australia is not perfect, UK is not perfect but at the end of the day life is what you make it. How can you make it in UK when children are being advised now to wear the vests to protect them from stabbings at school? What kind of a life is that??? How can you make it in the UK when you are scared to go out after dark on your own??? How can you get on when you cant walk through your local town centre on a saturday night without getting jeered, heckled and threatened!!!

Life is what you make it. I would prefer to make it in Australia. From my point of view the standard of living is cheaper, I get MUCH MORE time with my OH (we are shift workers). I am earning the same as UK for doing less hours.

We love our life!

Guest Vicar of Dibley

Morning all!

Don't worry Gizmo

My post was really just reflecting what we found when we were in Oz. We know its not Paradise Found but like a lot of others, considering the current state of things here, we are willing to give it a good shot!

Thank you for your concern tho. Have a restful day.

The VoD

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

Vicar of dibley

chill yer boots Gizmo,was just a light hearted thread that was more for my own piece of mind than anything else. You see i have spent a fair bit of time down under going back 10 years so i have an idea what the place is like,its just I am about to come over on a 4 year contract and its basically happened over night thru work so understandably am a bit wobbley,just setting all the creature comforts against all the new things to look forward to,and as you can see there are a few of us who enjoyed the post.

Dont think any of us are naieve enuff to think we are coming to some sort of utopia.....that would be impossible, its full of aussies:biglaugh:

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

oh yeah, and as for being just like the UK,Id like to know exactly where you live ..as ill make sure i give it the big swerve. Sydney is nowt like anywhere in the uk ive been

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

too right,that was a one in a million day for us,usually its nothing but heartbreak being a saint,typically I missed this one but am sure i will be at a few rain sodden 1-1 draws againts Colchester or luton b4 i hit sydney.........GO THE SWANS! (apparently thats what they say at AFL games in sydney:mask:

oh yeah, and as for being just like the UK,Id like to know exactly where you live ..as ill make sure i give it the big swerve. Sydney is nowt like anywhere in the uk ive been

Sorry but i aint in the UK living the life in oz - my meaning by oz being much like the UK as in all the problems with politics,education cuts,hospital cuts, traffic jams,drugs,graffiti,etc etc !!!!! thats all,

Things I like:

TV is rubbish here - so we talk to each other instead.

People are pleasant and even teenagers will say have a good day after they've served you.

Chocolate isn't as good - so maybe I'll lose weight?

Wine is inexpensive (oh those two things probably say alot about me lol).

We spend more time together as a family

My new neighbourhood has a real community feel and people get together at a weekend if they're free to have a beer.

Some one gets assaulted and they say they've been bashed!

I'm not seen as odd for going to bed and getting up early!

Lots of things open before 9am

I'm enjoying writing long letters to people

We're feeling very happy and content!

Ali

Archived