Why oh why!!!

Lakaal

Am due to sit Ielts tomorrow the final piece of the application needed. Have Vic Ss. Was just sitting here thinking I looking out window and children happily playing with friends after fun day in school. Have three beautiful healthy children. Live in nice house nice estate nice neighbours. Have a great husband. On maternity leave only have to go back two days a week. Have childminder. We not overly worried about money. Have just booked three week holiday in Italy. So why are we still not happy, why does it feel something is missing, we are missing out on something that may or may not be there on other side of world. It must b right thing to do if despite having everything we still feel the need to go or the regret of not going... Surely it is? Why are we risking everything in the hope of a better life? Going over to me working full time husband having to start business from scratch and hardly no savings !!!! Are we mad???

Guest Pennikins

Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps

But at least you will have fun exploring a new city, going on little adventures each day like discovering where best to shop, making new friends at your new job, discovering new picnic locations, working out where your favourite beach will be etc etc. Change is good, it's scary of course, but most good things are at first. You'll be ok, you obviously have guts or you wouldn't have even thought of doing it in the first place.

Best of Luck

If you have a good life and are moving for a better life, then you might be in for disappointment. You are swapping one first world country for another. I am very happy in Australia, so no axe to grind, but moving for this better life always seems like a bad reason to move to me. Moving for an adventure or even for a different life seems less risky and less likely to lead to disappointment.

You need to sit down and think about why you want to move to Australia. The flashing red sign for me is that you said in your post moving for "the hope of a better life".

What does this mean to you?

A lot of what you described as your nice life now is things attainable through financial security. Emigrating is very expensive (not just to Australia, to anywhere). Then add the facts of an unfavourable exchange rate, the Australian housing bubble (which won't burst any time in the short-term as the governments - both Federal & State - will do everything in their power to keep it inflated), the fact that Australia is expensive (nowhere near as expensive as some of the posts on here would have you believe but expensive none-the-less) and starting from scratch with no (or minimal) savings, contacts or support networks will be very hard.

If you had said you were coming for adventure, to try something new, or for many other reasons you could have given I'd have said jump at the chance, grab it with both hands and come on over.

Only you can make the decision but you need to have a serious think about what you want to do, why you want to do it and then research how you can achieve that.

I always think that people who say they're coming over "for a better life", or even worse "to give our children a better start" are those that really need to think long and hard about how achievable things are in the current economic climate (and in the 2nd example how true it even is). People that have been here over 7, 10, 15 years may well have done very well but the exchange rate and housing costs were very, very different then (not that those people didn't work bloody hard to achieve their aims as well).

If however you just have itchy feet and are coming over with both eyes open and your heart set on it (unfortunately that doesn't come across from your initial post) then welcome aboard and go for it.

All the very best of luck.

Edited by Rugby Lad

If u have everything u need to UK why move?? It depends what u want from life? It is not all sunshine and beaches. I came to Oz about 5 times since I was 6 (my first trip) and ever since wanted to come to Oz. partly did social degree so I could get in years ago, and as it turns out that its the worst bit about living here, my job. so much child abuse its crazy. Many years behind UK practice in so many ways.

I would advise if its your other half

that will be working full time, to look at his job and how much it varies from the UK.

We also came to'live the dream' but not sure'the dream'exists?! Australia has changed so much since I was last here for a year 12 years ago.

If u have everything u need why don't u come for a long holiday first and check it all out.

Thanks all for the replies, I guess I have some thinking to do!!! On way into town to do ielts test now... The problem is after almost seven years of discussions about moving over after living for a year and meeting ny husband in sydney many things have been put ion hold in our life even discussions about oz turn into arguments at this stage...

But thanks for advice will try to get hubby to sit down and run through it all again. He would be more go for the adventure type, however with 3 young kids under six I worry that it is selfish to cause such a change to them for this reason Alone.

I too wellers am a qualified social worker and will be the main applicant however all my experience is in medical setting so want to avoid child protection.

Anyway off I go to do Ielts and see how I get on.

There's nothing wrong with having an adventure, the spirit of adventure doesn't have to end with children. Yours are young enough to adapt very quickly. I think some people trott out the better life line because they think it is more acceptable... but really it is all about an adventure. Good luck with IELTS.

There's nothing wrong with having an adventure, the spirit of adventure doesn't have to end with children. Yours are young enough to adapt very quickly. I think some people trot out the better life line because they think it is more acceptable... but really it is all about an adventure. Good luck with IELTS.

What Rupert said. With bells on.

Hi, I have migrated to 2 different European countries in the last 4 years for 3 reasons: better life, better job, kids. And it did work! They are very good reasons to migrate and very serious ones, cannot think of better ones TBH. But this is me and I do not know about Australia yet...

With regards to the kids, at the end of the day their strength and happiness depend VERY much on you being strong and positive. What's the point of being in a big house and financially secure, and being on the verge of depression! You definetly will have to change something, in my opinion :yes: but probably you should try something less extreme first if you are not sure you can handle financial/job uncertainty.

S.

Am due to sit Ielts tomorrow the final piece of the application needed. Have Vic Ss. Was just sitting here thinking I looking out window and children happily playing with friends after fun day in school. Have three beautiful healthy children. Live in nice house nice estate nice neighbours. Have a great husband. On maternity leave only have to go back two days a week. Have childminder. We not overly worried about money. Have just booked three week holiday in Italy. So why are we still not happy, why does it feel something is missing, we are missing out on something that may or may not be there on other side of world. It must b right thing to do if despite having everything we still feel the need to go or the regret of not going... Surely it is? Why are we risking everything in the hope of a better life? Going over to me working full time husband having to start business from scratch and hardly no savings !!!! Are we mad???

Sounds to me like you have a great life and standard of living in the UK

Why would you want to risk losing that?

Think hard about what if it doesn't work out and where you'd be if you returned to the UK in a few years

But in the end you're the only ones that can decide if it'll be worth the risks involved

Good luck with the Ielts

If you can afford it get the visa have a long holiday here and see how you feel after that