Would you or wouldn't you? And if you did would you just not admit to it ???

kimsdu

Okay here is the deal, I just heard on the grapevine that acquaintances of ours who are migrating in July to OZ are getting as much as they can before they leave as they have no intention of ever returning to the UK.

What i mean by this is as follows.

1. They just bought couches, furniture, tvs etc basically a whole house of goods from a large store with nothing to pay until 2013 .Obviously they have no intention of paying for any of it and are shipping it to Oz when they leave in July..

2.They just took out a Credit Card which they will max out only paying the minimum until they leave in July when they will stop paying it completely

3.They have other cards and loans that they will not pay back too.

Now my source is very reliable and they told him that they wanted to go with a good start up, money for a house deposit etc. Blamed the British banks and economy, Spouting off that nobody chases you unless its for more than £30,000 and that loads of people do it but just do not admit to it.

Thought??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay here is the deal, I just heard on the grapevine that acquaintances of ours who are migrating in July to OZ are getting as much as they can before they leave as they have no intention of ever returning to the UK.

1. They just bought couches, furniture, tvs etc basically a whole house of goods from a large store with nothing to pay until 2013 .Obviously they have no intention of paying for any of it and are shipping it to Oz when they leave in July..

2.They just took out a Credit Card which they will max out only paying the minimum until they leave in July when they will stop paying it completely

Now my source is very reliable and they told him that they wanted to go with a good start up, money for a house deposit etc. Blamed the British banks and economy, Spouting off that nobody chases you unless its for more than £30,000 and that loads of people do it but just do not admit to it.

Thought??

Are you serious? Thoughts? Deportation & or Prison.

Laurel & Hardy springs to mind. I suppose they intend on wearing balaclavas and gloves whilst pulling all this off? Perhaps changing there names and passports too?

The banks are a clever bunch.......and are linked/underwritten. They do chase and find.

Also quite a possibility that the wife will miss her mum, the kids hate snakes and dad cant get into IT ........so of they go back to UK.

Edited by Jackinabox

Guest guest66832

I wouldn't personally because I am an honest person. Also the past has a nasty way of creeping up on you so it's best to keep it as clean and above board as possible. I would say that the plan you have described above is just downright asking for trouble.

I wouldn't personally because I am an honest person. Also the past has a nasty way of creeping up on you so it's best to keep it as clean and above board as possible. I would say that the plan you have described above is just downright asking for trouble.

I agree , However apparently it is not uncommon. We are talking about £4000 on the CCs and £3000 on all the furniture i dont know what else they are doing.

Guest Longtime Lurker

I would find it impossible to do something like this - honesty and integrity is important to me. Ultimately someone picks up the tab as finance companies charge higher interest to cover their losses and therefore it is left to those of us who pay what we owe.

Sadly they will probably get a way with it as long as they dont ever come back or leave any assets here in the UK. Only HMRC debts can be enforced overseas, I am sure there are a lot of poeple who do it.

A bit of a prison sentance in that you know you cant come back without a lot of pain and suffering.

Sadly they will probably get a way with it as long as they dont ever come back or leave any assets here in the UK. Only HMRC debts can be enforced overseas, I am sure there are a lot of poeple who do it.

A bit of a prison sentance in that you know you cant come back without a lot of pain and suffering.

ALOT of people do it was just reading a similar thread on Money saving expert .. They all saying the debt gets wiped after 6 years anyway Statute barred meaning the company you owe can no longer get a CCJ on you.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of doing anything like that. Makes me die though when you are signing to say you are of a good character to get a visa for Oz. Let's just hope they don't want to return to the UK if things don't work out in Oz.

All I can say is KARMA.

Guest Andy

Thought??

There was a similar thread on here a while ago and the op did the same thing regarding blaming the banks and the economy, the thing is most of us have been hit where it hurts due to these two things which is just an excuse for being a thieving scumbag, if we all went around blaming everyone else because we didnt have any money and stealing then the world would be a terrible place, these people are thieving loser's in my opinion who dont deserve visa's.

ALOT of people do it was just reading a similar thread on Money saving expert .. They all saying the debt gets wiped after 6 years anyway Statute barred meaning the company you owe can no longer get a CCJ on you.

Hopefully they like Australia because many don't and return to the UK. I hope it comes back to bite them on the arse.

Seems you have it all figured out for them. Then tell them to go for it if its so easy.

However, I would double check on that 6 year thing. It is my understanding that just one letter to them begins the 6 year timescale again and again and again. Finding an address isnt difficult, regardless of where it is you live. Nothing stopping the bank/CC company/finance company sending letters to OZ.......as long as they do so within a 6 year period they can do it forever. Can your friends remain incognito forever? Would they want too? Do the banks/CC companies/finance companies not have global interests and offices/depts around the world?

And for £7,000.?

I couldn't and wouldn't do that. I think it's very immoral (and illegal as someone mentioned, if they do not actually plan on paying it back it IS theft). We have a credit agreement with CCCS and plan on continuing to pay even if/when we emigrate. In fact we have already contacted them and they said they have quite a few overseas clients (emigrated not just applied from out of the UK)and that it we could continue to pay and not have to pay it back in a lump sum when we leave the UK.

I really hope those people get caught. And to be honest, i recon they will. No wonder this country is going down the spout financially when people do things like that (not just the credit card companies that take the micky is it.)

Seems you have it all figured out for them. Then tell them to go for it if its so easy.

However, I would double check on that 6 year thing. It is my understanding that just one letter to them begins the 6 year timescale again and again and again. Finding an address isnt difficult, regardless of where it is you live. Nothing stopping the bank/CC company/finance company sending letters to OZ.......as long as they do so within a 6 year period they can do it forever. Can your friends remain incognito forever? Would they want too? Do the banks/CC companies/finance companies not have global interests and offices/depts around the world?

And for £7,000.?

I think you might be right on that one.

If your friends deliberately run up debt, with no intention of paying it, then this is fraud - a criminal offence.

This is different to people leaving behind debts that they have been struggling to pay, but which they had intended to pay. There may be moral arguments for and against that, but it's not illegal.

If your friends deliberately run up debt, with no intention of paying it, then this is fraud - a criminal offence.

This is different to people leaving behind debts that they have been struggling to pay, but which they had intended to pay. There may be moral arguments for and against that, but it's not illegal.

Actually it is

A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

Property can be money, and they are not planning on paying it back therefore permanently depriving the company of said money.

Edit: Or do you mean struggling to pay it and leaving it is not illegal? If so i agree.

Edited by Tappers2oz

Are you tempted to do it yourself? ;)

I can't believe they are purposely racking up debt cos they think they'll get away with it....what happens if things go wrong/they want to go back to the UK? What happens if the law changes (who knows) to close this loophole and suddenly companies can chase you abroad? Risky stuff.

Only a fool believes that they are safe listening to internet barristers discussing 'loopholes' and 'they cant get you after 6 years' or 'they cany get at ya in Oz'.

I personally wouldnt want to spend the rest of my life worrying that that letter is gonna drop through the door or, worse still, they knock at the door or grab ya at Heathrow on the way back. Its not the CCJ's that you need to be concerned about either, although they will certainly disrupt your credit, even in Oz.

Did anyone tell them you don't HAVE to be a convict to emigrate to Oz any longer? :eek:

Thought??

Ok firstly i never said they were friends just people i know to say hello to in passing only because we have some mutual friends, (Newquay is a very small town )... My friend told me about what they are doing because they are emigrating to OZ as are myself and husband. (once approved) so he confided in us.

WE are not thinking about doing this ourselves there is no way i could go through with it or my husband. I would be in fear that the collectors would harrass my Parents or siblings when we are gone.

Just wanted to see what you all thought on this and after i heard the story i have done some research and found it to be something that IS done by people. So i wonder how many people do it and dont tell anyone...

And for £7,000.?

No i do not have it all figured out for them but after hearing the story did a little internet browsing on the subject. Like i said in the OP they are not friends just acquaintances.

http://dictionary.reference.com [h=2]ac·quaint·ance[/h]  [/url]speaker.gif /əˈkweɪntns/ Show Spelled[uh-kweyn-tns] Show IPA

noun 1. a person known to one, but usually not a close friend.