• Sydney
    • Brisbane
    • Cairns
    • Darwin
    • Canberra
    • Newcastle

Guest AKA63029

Hi Derham.

I voted for two, and I realise it is a very difficult poll to be fair, but if Exmouth (Fishing) had been in there I would have voted for it.

Good idea for a thread.

Taste is subjective though. What suits one person won't suit another. I like the idea of a poll but can't really see how it could help people decide where might be good to live. There are so many things to factor in and each city is different.

Just thought it might help if migrants pass on where they have relocated too.

Good idea. Perhaps change the name of the poll to use that? Just a suggestion if that was the intent of the poll, not which is the best city as that's a bit misleading. 'Which city did you settle in?' works well :)

Yeah, Gold Coast is #6, ahead of newcastle and cantberra and would get my vote - its a love it or hate it place though!

I think Geelong deserves a mention at #12. Coastal city, near the Great Ocean rd, near Melbourne, big enough yet small enough IYKWIM.

I'm not sure you'll get much info worth having, without trying to be a cock about it

For starters it's obviously subjective depending on what people like. For seconds you'll probably not find a single person who has lived in all of them and can really comment from a position of experience. You'll find few enough who have even visited them

Guest nikkidel

I loved Brisbane when I lived there, and I loved Cairns when I visited it (just loved the feel of the place)...and I hated Sydney.

Guest GoldCoastMag
Yeah, Gold Coast is #6, ahead of newcastle and canberra and would get my vote - its a love it or hate it place though!

Plus 1 and even the Gold Coast has varied areas with beach suburbs, in the mountains, inland, the hinterland, suburbs with large houses and blocks, small towns, high density living, new estates, gated complexes. In other words what works for me, may drive you mad, but move a few kilometres and you may find living there suits you and your family.

Guest The Pom Queen

Come on you Smellburnians where is your vote. Lived in Melbourne and Cairns, they are like chalk and cheese but Cairns gets my vote

. Having just had a burst of humid-type weather here in Melbourne, I always like the fact that we get the cooler weather (yes it is cranky and cold sometimes....) but I do like to rug up in the winter, walk through the autumn leaves at this time of year, and then see the new leaves of spring grow. I love to visit Sydney, but wouldn't live there. Adelaide I like for all kinds of reasons, a small but pretty and family kind of place. I even like Canberra, except for all the politicians, lol, and even though it is man made etc......my friends who live there love it and don't want anyone to discover it..........Melbourne is an acquired taste for some, but if you know it intimately as I do, you could well find yourself really liking it - there is something for everyone. In fact I have lived here all my life and am still discovering things around the city I haven't been to, especially some of the fantastic bike tracks and parks and gardens.

I live in Perth but I would put it 2nd, I have to put Melbourne 1st for me I just love the place it just has a great vibe and feel about it that I just can't explain, there are so many places I could tell you that I love but I would go on and on. Perth is alot quieter and has a better climate and at times I have a love/hate relationship with those things. I have to say I have'nt seen all of the Cities. Adelaide is lovely and Sydney is a beautiful City but very very busy. Will get to Darwin,Cairns,Brisbane and the Gold Coast one day. I am really looking forward to going to Tasmania though been told it is just gorgeous by alot of people, sorry no interest in Canberra.............

Laney x

Good idea. Perhaps change the name of the poll to use that? Just a suggestion if that was the intent of the poll, not which is the best city as that's a bit misleading. 'Which city did you settle in?' works well :)

Good idea