Amazon

Kathie

Hi, I am just recovering from the shock of finding out there is no Amazon in Oz...

Apparently amazon uk will deliver to Australia, has anyone any experience of this - what are the costs and delivery times like? And is there a cheaper alternative such as amazon.com? I'm an online shopahoilc, and this is not good news!

Thanks, Kathy x

Hi, I am just recovering from the shock of finding out there is no Amazon in Oz...

Apparently amazon uk will deliver to Australia, has anyone any experience of this - what are the costs and delivery times like? And is there a cheaper alternative such as amazon.com? I'm an online shopahoilc, and this is not good news!

Thanks, Kathy x

Hi Kathy,

Hubby orders from Amazon uk all the time....they also take off VAT at the checkout which more or less covers the postage and in some catagories the postage is free if you spend over a certain amount (which hubby usually does!). The delivery times are quite good...usually about 10 days. Hes got most of the Aussies in his office ordering from them!!! lol

Melanie x

If looking for things like books rather than sticking to one amazon like amazon.co.uk use http://www.booko.com.au.

It searches LOTS of book sites like amazon in uk, canada, usa, the different book depository sites etc and displays all prices including delivery.

BTW until at least October 21st 2012 amazon.co.uk delivers free books, music and dvd's to Australia for orders of at least 25 pounds. And of course you save the 20% VAT so cheaper than buying from the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200627060

Guest guest59177

Word for the wary - I too have tried these 'rate comparison' websites for books. Here are the gotchas:

1. When you figure in the shipment costs the price might not be that great.

2. The lesser priced books will almost always be international editions.

3. At least once I ordered a newer edition and got an older one. The site had misrepresented the info.

A better idea might be to buy one of the used books from Amazon itself...

Thanks, Kathy x

I've ordered quite a few books from the UK site. But, Amazon will only post over books,dvd's and videos' to Australia.

I've just had an order delivered and it only took about 10 days.

Good luck x

Love amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk both really good though i use the Uk all the time for Films , books etc free super saver delivery most of the time as well ...

The american one i use for my Kindle .. Brilliant !:wink: also really good on delivery i ordered last week a shed load for xmas presents and they emailed to say on their way so should get them soon .

Also the book depository are good and free delivery on books as well , they also get here really quickly ... its worth the wait anyway . Books are a shocking price here your average paperback can be 21 $ which is bad it soon adds up, if your reading up to date books ..

• 9 months later...
If looking for things like books rather than sticking to one amazon like amazon.co.uk use www.booko.com.au.

It searches LOTS of book sites like amazon in uk, canada, usa, the different book depository sites etc and displays all prices including delivery.

BTW until at least October 21st 2012 amazon.co.uk delivers free books, music and dvd's to Australia for orders of at least 25 pounds. And of course you save the 20% VAT so cheaper than buying from the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200627060

Looking to buy some books and am spending over £25 but free delivery seems to have ended in January - does anyone know if there is a code for free delivery?

Thanks, Kathy x

For most books, I find the US site cheaper than the UK one (some UK published books, which may be of little interest to US readers are either unavailable through the US site or are more expensive). A lot of the books I order seem to get shipped out from Hong Kong, so the advertised shipping times of 11-16 days end up being a week or so (although seems to be a lottery).

Amazon.com (and, I believe, Amazon.co.uk) won't ship stuff other than books/CDs/DVDs. To get around these sorts of restrictions you could try one of the many mail forwarding services (I use http://www.vpost.com - a service offered by Singapore Post and http://www.borderlinx.com). These offer physical addresses in the US (and the UK and elsewhere) to which your goods are dispatched and which are then forwarded to you (for an additional fee, of course). Depending on the weight and physical dimensions of the items you're after, it can still be cheaper to get your stuff this way.

Edited by Zman
typo

I found a massive bookshop this morning and everything was five bucks. Can't see Amazon being much cheper than that, although they mght not have exactly what you require.