Antihistamine

Guest momma

Guest guest17301

Zyrtec is certrizine Kate:wubclub: Dont be fooled by brand names and paying out shedloads more for the same drug. Always find out what the actual drug is called....eg paracetamol (drug) Panadol/Panamax (brand name)

I always ask for the 'chemists own' or generic brand. Heaps cheaper.

Piriton is chlorpheniramine....dont think I have seen it over the counter here...could be wrong though.:yes:

Hi, the pharmaceutical name for pirition in Chlorpheniramine. The other drugs mentioned here are anti histimines but not the same drug.

You can buy chorpheniramine in australia, well i did in sydney earlier this year,not sure of the trade name would have to ask a pharmacist.But they do sell it.

Last time I was back home I asked for Piriton at a chemist and they said they didn't sell it anymore as it wasn't as effective as other things. They gave me FexoTabs (active ingredient Fexofenadine Hydrochloride). I'd had an allergic reaction to my friend's cats and the tablets definitely fixed the problem. But the packet also says it's for relief of hayfever symptoms so it could be worth a look.

Guest The Pom Queen

Aller-Chlor (United States) Allercalm (United Kingdom) Allergy Relief (United Kingdom)

Allerief (United Kingdom) Calimal (United Kingdom) Chlo-Amine (United States)

Chlor-Pro (United States) Chlor-Trimeton (United States) Chlor-Tripolon (Canada)

ChlorTan (United States) Ed-Chlor-Tan (United States) Efidac 24 Chlorpheniramine (United States)

Hayleve (United Kingdom) Histafen (New Zealand) Novo-Pheniram (Canada)

PediaCare Allergy Formula (United States) Pediatan (United States) Pediox-S (United States)

Piriton (United Kingdom) Polaramine (Australia) Pollenase Antihistamine (United Kingdom)

QDALL AR (United States) TanaHist PD (United States) Teldrin (United States)

Guest The Pom Queen
Zyrtec is certrizine Kate:wubclub: Dont be fooled by brand names and paying out shedloads more for the same drug. Always find out what the actual drug is called....eg paracetamol (drug) Panadol/Panamax (brand name)

I always ask for the 'chemists own' or generic brand. Heaps cheaper.

Piriton is chlorpheniramine....dont think I have seen it over the counter here...could be wrong though.:yes:

Sorry Fi I was meaning alternative antihistamines

Guest guest17301
What I meant was....

piriton (chlorphenamine) is a commonly used short acting sedating antihistamine in the uk.

The most commonly used short acting sedating antihistamine in oz is probably phenergan (promethazine).

:wink:

Yeah yeah...course you did:tongue::wubclub:

Not long after we arrived in Aus, our youngest had a heat rash, so I wanted to buy some anti-histamine meds. I went to the pharmacy and was told "No, this is Australia dear. You can't buy things like that over the counter here". So my mum in law has been bringing bottles of piriton over with her whenever she has visited.

Can I really buy drowsy antihistamines here? I am ever so slightly allergic to our cat, and to be able to take something at bedtime sometimes to stop my nose from itching would be heaven!

Guest guest17301

Phenergen is drowsy, very effective, I use it for mozzie bites...go low at first (10mg) especially if you have a glass of wine with it or you'll be comatose, lol

Not long after we arrived in Aus, our youngest had a heat rash, so I wanted to buy some anti-histamine meds. I went to the pharmacy and was told "No, this is Australia dear. You can't buy things like that over the counter here". So my mum in law has been bringing bottles of piriton over with her whenever she has visited.

Can I really buy drowsy antihistamines here? I am ever so slightly allergic to our cat, and to be able to take something at bedtime sometimes to stop my nose from itching would be heaven!

In a word, yes. I wonder if it was cos your youngest was less than 2 at the time. Just like in the uk the pharmacist wouldn't be able to sell you phenergan if he was told it was for an under 2 year old

Yes it is as I've prescribed it for dogs. Other ones are Telfast and Zyrtec

I'm trying to get some for our dog, as he has "some kind" of allergy, what would you recommend to use?

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm trying to get some for our dog, as he has "some kind" of allergy, what would you recommend to use?

There are a number of them that you can use and I will put the dose on here when I'm back on my pc, HOWEVER, I don't like anyone using human medicine on their pets without their own vets knowledge, so please check with your own vet first.:wubclub:

There are a number of them that you can use and I will put the dose on here when I'm back on my pc, HOWEVER, I don't like anyone using human medicine on their pets without their own vets knowledge, so please check with your own vet first.:wubclub:

He has to go back to the vet later in the week so will check it with her

Guest The Pom Queen

Here are your approx doses, for Piriton you need to be looking at Iramine or the similar one Polarmine. Please note I take no responsibility at all for these doses and you need to consult your own vet to check that your dog would be ok on them.

Just to add although this is the dose rate below I would probably try them on one tablet per day first and see how you go.

Iramine - 4mg tablet - dose 0.4mg/kg for dogs, cats half a tablet - can be given twice a day.

Phenergan - 10mg tablet - dose 1mg/kg for dogs

Polarmine - 2mg tablet - dose 0.4mg/kg

Benadryl - 2-4mg/kg for dogs

Teldane - 60mg tablet - dose 2-4mg/kg

Claratyne - 10mg tablet - dose 0.5mg/kg

Zyrtec - Can be given but I would go for the others first.

We have just started to hit our first hayfever season in Perth and are wondering if there is a cheap kind of anti-histamines. My OH has to take them at least once a day throughout the year, sometimes twice a day, so we were shocked to find that drugs with her usual active ingredient, Cetirizine, are $15 for 10. That works out as almost $100 a month! Back in the UK they are as cheap as £2 a month from the supermarkets.

Are we missing a cheap local alternative or should we consider getting them posted from the UK? Is that even legal?!

Help!

Guest The Pom Queen
We have just started to hit our first hayfever season in Perth and are wondering if there is a cheap kind of anti-histamines. My OH has to take them at least once a day throughout the year, sometimes twice a day, so we were shocked to find that drugs with her usual active ingredient, Cetirizine, are $15 for 10. That works out as almost $100 a month! Back in the UK they are as cheap as £2 a month from the supermarkets.

Are we missing a cheap local alternative or should we consider getting them posted from the UK? Is that even legal?!

Help!

I have known people take the ones that have been prescribed to their pets as they say it's $30 for 100, it isn't something I've looked in to nor would I recommend.

Help!

Hi

You can get 70 zyrtec (cetirizine) for 39.99 at chemistwarehouse.com.au

Instore price is probably similar