Amazon Kindle - UK to Australia

I was thinking about buying the girlfriend a Kindle for Christmas. We are moving to Australia in a few months (got 457 visa in 15 working days!) and as far as I am aware there is no Amazon Australia. So I was going to buy one here & take it over.

There are 2 Kindles, the normal WiFi one and the WiFi + 3G version. I’m pretty sure the 3G version wouldn’t work in Australia (unless you can replace the simcard?), but is the WiFi still ok? Will it just roam?

I’ve no experience of Kindles or Australia (yet!) so was wondering if anyone here had any experience of taking a Kindle over there?

Eeeek! So much to think about before we go!

Thanks for any help :)

I was thinking about buying the girlfriend a Kindle for Christmas. We are moving to Australia in a few months (got 457 visa in 15 working days!) and as far as I am aware there is no Amazon Australia. So I was going to buy one here & take it over.

There are 2 Kindles, the normal WiFi one and the WiFi + 3G version. I’m pretty sure the 3G version wouldn’t work in Australia (unless you can replace the simcard?), but is the WiFi still ok? Will it just roam?

I’ve no experience of Kindles or Australia (yet!) so was wondering if anyone here had any experience of taking a Kindle over there?

Eeeek! So much to think about before we go!

Thanks for any help :)

There is no sim card. The 3G is built in. It does work in oz as I got my sister one. The only thing tho is the account has to have a UK address attached to it otherwise it doesn't let u download. The credit/debit card doesn't have to be UK based. Hope this helps!

Hoping for a move to oz in the coming year or two.......hoping not three!

:biggrin:So, I also fired this question at Amazon, and this is their response:

Hello Sean ,

On looking into your enquiry, I understand that you wish to use Kindle in Australia and want to purchase Kindle books from Amazon.co.uk.

Please be informed that, Kindle content is available on Amazon.co.uk to UK residents only. In other words, the Amazon.co.uk Kindle Store is only available to customers physically located in the United Kingdom with a valid UK invoice address and payment method.

Since you are having residential address as UK, if you are travelling outside of the UK, you can continue shopping in the Amazon.co.uk Kindle Store.

For further information about travelling with your Kindle, please visit our Help pages:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200504420

If you move out of the country and are no longer a UK resident, you will need to update your address at www.amazon.co.uk/manageyourkindle and switch your account to Amazon.com in order to shop in the Kindle Store.

Rest assured that you will be able to use both the Kindle 3G and Kindle Wi-Fi only models in Australia without any difficulties.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your interest in Kindle.

Since, I can still have a UK address and payment method everything should be ok. Whispernet and 3G & WiFi will all be ok too. Result!

Bought one for my wife in Australia recently. Just got the Wi-fi model and it works great, she loves it. The e-ink display is clear as a book and the battery lasts for weeks. It is so light that it can be held in one hand easily and the pages turned easily.

There are several sites with free e-book downloads too. The books from amazon are pretty cheap though and it takes seconds for them to download.

It must be easy to use as my wife is hopeless with computers but seems to have got the hang of the kindle pretty quickly.

She has bought a cover and a reading light for it too.

I bought one for the missus before we came away but we will always keep a UK account and address anyway.

With regards 3g or WiFi - I couldn't think we'd ever be that desperate to get a book that it couldn't wait to be downloaded from the home/hotel so never bothered with 3g.

Guest NeilEB

I have a Kindle - they do work in Oz, but you have to use the Amazon.com site. The issue is that the choice isn't nearly as big as it is for UK or American customers, due to copyright issues.

I'm intending to keep a UK bank account and buy books with that :-)

Guest guest36187

I buy from amazon.com too. Bill everything to my MasterCard. I even preordered two books for $9.99 each. Cheaper than buying them on old fashioned paper!

• 11 months later...
My kindle was bought in the UK atmasand i magine it is the basic version. Is it true what the other poster said that you can ONLY use amazon UK with UK kindles.

How does it work with borrowing books?

I bought a Kindle when I got here, and you can mess around with the account setting to decide where you want to purchase books from, UK, USA etc. They are not tied to anywhere.

I brought my UK kindle over to Oz and it worked fine (Wifi and 3G), then the screen stopped working (a few weeks after warranty ran out!!) and I've gone out and bought a new one (WiFi only) to replace it, but linked it to the old account :)

BTW - Spoke with Amazon UK and they offered me a reduced cost replacement kindle (WiFi and 3G) for GBP50, but it would have to go to a UK address. Once I figured out the onward postage costs and the extra hassle (i.e. what if I needed anything under warranty?) I ended up deciding to just go for an Aussie Kindle WiFi only in the end.

I haven't actually bought any new books since I changed Kindles, but I think it's still attached to the UK site anyway