Left the UK with bad debt?

Guest madplumber2

Guest madplumber2

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what the stats are for how many peolpe emmergrate from the UK and leave bad debt behind, or even anyone who's actualy done it, how much debt did you leave behind? Has any agencies tried to contact you once you've left the country etc?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest madplumber2
You should probably tell your story before asking others to confess their sins...

If I had one to tell, that would be interesting......how much did you leave? Maybe you should start!:tongue:

I have relocated from Italy to Uk 3 years and I hope I will relocate from UK to OZ within the next 18 months. Leaving Italy, I was forced to leave some bills to my parents to pay since we had been going through a bad time for a while before leaving. Not proud of it, fortunately they could affort helping us out with that.

There are at least 2 issues to consider if you are thinking of leaving debts behind:

- Are you going to force some relatives/friends/garantors to pay for you, doing it?

- Are you sure you won't ever move back?

In my case t is not in my interest to leave debts behind anywhere, just in case something goes really wrong and I have to move back to either countries with my kids and wife.

Simone

Guest madplumber2
I have relocated from Italy to Uk 3 years and I hope I will relocate from UK to OZ within the next 18 months. Leaving Italy, I was forced to leave some bills to my parents to pay since we had been going through a bad time for a while before leaving. Not proud of it, fortunately they could affort helping us out with that.

There are at least 2 issues to consider if you are thinking of leaving debts behind:

- Are you going to force some relatives/friends/garantors to pay for you, doing it?

- Are you sure you won't ever move back?

In my case t is not in my interest to leave debts behind anywhere, just in case something goes really wrong and I have to move back to either countries with my kids and wife.

Simone

Some very good points, must take a lot of bottle to actualy do it

Do not leave a Country owing money, they do not just give up and you will just worry as long as you owe someone money, try and contact who you owe money to and work out repayments while you are in Oz, can you imagine going back to the UK and someone arresting you.

Do not leave a Country owing money, they do not just give up and you will just worry as long as you owe someone money, try and contact who you owe money to and work out repayments while you are in Oz, can you imagine going back to the UK and someone arresting you.

Didnt know anyone would arrest you over civil debt?plus it dissapears after 6 yrs i think i read on here

Guest madplumber2
Didnt know anyone would arrest you over civil debt?plus it dissapears after 6 yrs i think i read on here

I thought you could only get arrested for debt to either the tax or national insurance.:eek:

I don't think its a good idea to leave behind debt in the UK - as it is likely to catch up on you at some point.

I don't think the banks are particularly helpful as we have a flat back in Scotland which we wanted to rent out however the bank were not willing to provide a 'consent to lease' which means we have had to keep enough money in the UK to pay the mortgage for the first two years and hope that it sells.

I don't think its a good idea to leave behind debt in the UK - as it is likely to catch up on you at some point.

Depends on the debt really... As pointed out, government debt can be chased pretty much anywhere and for ongoing period of time.

Civil debt, is generally statute barred after 6yrs of non contact. So in reality a bit longer than when you leave it. But debt for mortgages can actually be chased for 12yrs. So if you default and move away that's something to consider should you want to return at some point and think in 6yrs it will be done and dusted with.

I personally did it and I'm not proud of it but extenuating circumstances, doesn't everyone have those lol. And I wouldnt ever advise it as generally though it limits your choices down the line and what is life if without all choices and options open to you?

Guest madplumber2
Depends on the debt really... As pointed out, government debt can be chased pretty much anywhere and for ongoing period of time.

Civil debt, is generally statute barred after 6yrs of non contact. So in reality a bit longer than when you leave it. But debt for mortgages can actually be chased for 12yrs. So if you default and move away that's something to consider should you want to return at some point and think in 6yrs it will be done and dusted with.

I personally did it and I'm not proud of it but extenuating circumstances, doesn't everyone have those lol. And I wouldnt ever advise it as generally though it limits your choices down the line and what is life if without all choices and options open to you?

Thankyou for the information and for being so honest

Guest The Ropey HOFF

If you are leaving debts behind its a personal choice, i don't want to take sides and personally i think its wrong, but....................... just how wrong is it that our bent lying thieving politicians can syphon off god knows how much and get away with it, or a slap on the hand. If you are happy to leave the uk with debt then fine, but remember, if you ever want to come back it might bite you on your derrier. I don't think anything can be done if you leave debt behind, it gets written off after 7 years i think and us tax payers foot the bill, i think, were taxed to death anyway, so don't lose any sleep.

Guest madplumber2
If you are leaving debts behind its a personal choice, i don't want to take sides and personally i think its wrong, but....................... just how wrong is it that our bent lying thieving politicians can syphon off god knows how much and get away with it, or a slap on the hand. If you are happy to leave the uk with debt then fine, but remember, if you ever want to come back it might bite you on your derrier. I don't think anything can be done if you leave debt behind, it gets written off after 7 years i think and us tax payers foot the bill, i think, were taxed to death anyway, so don't lose any sleep.

:chatterbox: