Parramatta area, advice please

kellyjamie

Hi everyone,

We are hoping to secure a job offer in Parramatta and wondered if anyone could tell us where would be a good place to look to settle if we get the job?

We have 2 kids aged at the moment 3 and 12. Schools very important. We like the village type feel, somewhere that would have its own local shopping not a big sprawling housing estate. And probably close to good transport links as we would like to be able to travel into Sydney at weekends with the kids. rental wise we would spend up to about $450 per week?

Many thanks

Kelly and Jamie

Hi Kelly and Jamie

Well, you don't want to live in Parra, that's for sure!!!

Try taking a look at places like Baulkham Hiils, Castle Hill and Glenhaven. Glenhaven is a really villagey place - fab suburb to live in and a great little primary school. However, your budget may not stretch to Glenhaven prices.

You may need to go a little further west with that budget - maybe Glenwood? It's a new suburb, and it's cheaper than the other one's I have mentioned, so it may be more suitable. It's not really villagey though.

Good luck

Love

Rudi

x

Hi everyone,

We are hoping to secure a job offer in Parramatta and wondered if anyone could tell us where would be a good place to look to settle if we get the job?

We have 2 kids aged at the moment 3 and 12. Schools very important. We like the village type feel, somewhere that would have its own local shopping not a big sprawling housing estate. And probably close to good transport links as we would like to be able to travel into Sydney at weekends with the kids. rental wise we would spend up to about $450 per week?

Many thanks

Kelly and Jamie

Hello, I am living in Canada Bay which isnt too bad a drive to Parramatta. My 12 year old son goes to Concord High, which I am very impressed with. It is very close to the city, 15 mins on the ferry. I was shocked at the cost of rental though so be prepared. I pay $485 a week for a 2 bed apartment, partly because it is near the water and in a sort after area. Good Luck, it is SO worth it!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, I am living in Canada Bay which isnt too bad a drive to Parramatta. My 12 year old son goes to Concord High, which I am very impressed with. It is very close to the city, 15 mins on the ferry. I was shocked at the cost of rental though so be prepared. I pay $485 a week for a 2 bed apartment, partly because it is near the water and in a sort after area. Good Luck, it is SO worth it!!

Yes, Parramatta has turned into a not too pleasant place yet this has been a recent change. Use to be great.

Places to live in commuting distance from Parra that I like, Drummoine, Rhodes, Newington, Some areas of Ride and Ridelmare, North Rocks, Carlingford.

I rather like Parramatta itself as it's a proper city within a city. There's plenty to do there, shopping, restaurants, a theatre, riverside walks. It's a transport hub too for trains and buses. Whether you can get a property on your budget is another thing of course.

Do you actualy live in Parramatta yourself?

Do you actualy live in Parramatta yourself?

What, go any further west than Leichhardt! You must be joking!

Seriously, I know it has drawbacks - awful traffic, wind tunnel streets but it also has all the things I like - lots of places to eat, theatres, shopping, a bit of history. Parramatta is the geographical centre of Sydney too so if you live there you are reasonably handy for every corner of the city.

• 3 weeks later...
What, go any further west than Leichhardt! You must be joking!

Seriously, I know it has drawbacks - awful traffic, wind tunnel streets but it also has all the things I like - lots of places to eat, theatres, shopping, a bit of history. Parramatta is the geographical centre of Sydney too so if you live there you are reasonably handy for every corner of the city.

Perhaps I was too brief with my question.

People go for a stroll in a suburb or to a restaurant and a park and decide...this is the place I like the most. Wonderful! Tehn based on that little stroll in the park they recomend to others...

There is more to choose a suburb then paying a quick visit on a day off.

And I wouldn't recomend a place to a thrid party unless I live there or lived in the past not too remote or have a friend who lives there and who's judgement I can trust.

So to my question, if you live there yourself and you like it I accept your opinion. If you do not live there, then your opinion may be good for you but I woudlnt' go and tell others go and live there.

Parramatta is a stinking hole. It use to be a good choice until some middle eastern groups took hold of it. Forget it. Don't even consider it, unless you work in the local court or the local police station then it may be a good choice since the court and the gaol is the busiest place in the area.

Parramatta is a stinking hole. It use to be a good choice until some middle eastern groups took hold of it. Forget it. Don't even consider it, unless you work in the local court or the local police station then it may be a good choice since the court and the gaol is the busiest place in the area.

Parramatta is not a place I would choose to live but I would hardly call it a "stinking hole." It does have, as Maryrose stated, good shopping, good restaurants, theatre and history. It's a good place to work in or visit. Apart from the suburbs along Victoria Road the OP could look at the Hills District. Good place to live, good schools and amenities and close to Parramatta for work.

Lived in Australia 43+ years.

Not a place I would choose. My son got mugged in the food court at the Westfield shopping centre there by a group of young men who threatened and roughed him up a bit and stole his Oakley sunnies. The security just shrugged - groups of young men of ME appearance were just too tough for them to handle (or maybe they were on the same side, who knows?!)

I certainly wouldnt describe it as anything approaching village!

Not a place I would choose. My son got mugged in the food court at the Westfield shopping centre there by a group of young men who threatened and roughed him up a bit and stole his Oakley sunnies. The security just shrugged - groups of young men of ME appearance were just too tough for them to handle (or maybe they were on the same side, who knows?!)

I certainly wouldnt describe it as anything approaching village!

A stinking hole it is.

been there once to renew my visa....what the f**K!!!........para is one of the few places ive been in oz where i felt uncomfortable in daylight. i wouldnt reccomend living close to the centre, cant speak for the outer suburbs, but para made wollongong look like paradise...and thats saying something!!!

Guest Nikkers

I've worked in Parramatta for the last 5 years. Prior to that, I worked there in the late 90's and it was a very different place then. Whilst it has great shopping and great restaurants, it's certainly not what it used to be. It's fine to work there, but I don't think I'd want to live there. Unfortunately, Parramatta station is not a good place to be, despite the facelift it had (there are a lot of aggressive teenagers - yes, mostly of ME backgrounds - that hang around there from around 2pm - 4pm. These kids have single-handedly ruined the place over the last few years). So getting back on track, it's ok to work there and areas that I know well and recommend living are: Eastwood, Epping, Beecroft, Carlingford, Castle Hill, Dural, Winston Hills (anywhere in the Hills District). Transport to Parramatta's fairly good, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Archived