Moving to Sydney at the end of August!

Guest mike_2006uk

Guest mike_2006uk

Hi,

This is my first post on here, so be gentle.

My wife and I are flying out to Sydney at the end of August.

This is our second attempt in living in Australia, we first ventured to Perth a few years ago and really didn’t like it.

This move will be different, I think last time we put too much pressure on it to work and the harder we wanted to make it work, the worse we felt.

So the pressure is off, a few years older and wiser and we thought we would give it another go, while the UK economy bums out for the next couple of years.

Changing the subject a little;

It’s funny, I have read the home sick posts, but I would like to assure you, life does go on for those you have left behind and you miss.

We came back because we missed family and friends and so on, the first few weeks are different, but the your routine kicks in and you don’t see anyone for months! “Always keep that in mind when your feeling down or thinking you miss home”.

We have worked in out, if we come back to the UK every year for 3 weeks, we would see our friends and family more than if we lived here!

Anyway;

We are looking at the Norther suburbs, Manley, Collaroy, Narabeen so on..

Whilst looking on Realestate.com.au I noticed that 95% of adverts are apartments for rent, and we should be looking to pay about 350 to 550 for a small apartment, does that sound right?

I can quiet imagine all the best properties are advertised locally in shops or papers.

If anyone is living in those areas and would like to email us, that would be good.

All the best

Michael.

Thank you for advice on Homesickness etc, we move to Sydney tomorrow and are staying in a holiday let in collaroy whilst we look around for a long term rentals. We went there on holiday in May 2007 and fell in love with it, its beautiful round there. Most accomodation advertised seems to be on realestate.com.au or domain.com but will be able to help you more once we have arrived and settled.

Good Luck with everything

Zoe and Co x

Guest James.S

Hi, we have just come from there.. we have stayed in Chatswood for the last few weeks and are now on up the coast, we are in Coffs Harbour, are going to take in Byron Bay and travel up to Brisbane, if none of those areas don't grab us we will be going back to Sydney, probably the inner west as it's cheaper..!

Manly, Curl Curl, Dee Why and further up are all lovely, but anywhere within a stones throw of the beach will cost at least $400 per week upwards, a unit somewhere between Curl Curl and Dee Why we found for $380 per month and it was four floors up and quite small... however, we were there at Xmas / New Years so a lot of properties where rented out for short term holiday lets, I figure in Aug there will be a lot more on offer than we found and hopefully for your budget or less.. The common feeing is that things are slowing down financialy here, maybe not as much as the UK, but the trend is about 6 months behind England so by the winter (UK summer) it should be in your favour...

Good luck, have fun, the nortern beaches are fantastic..!

James...

Guest alibrown

Hi

Just read your post - why not look at Central Coast? I work at North Ryde (near Chatswood) and commute in usually 4 days a week from Gosford area. The price you will pay for a flat in North Sydney will get you a decent size 3 bed house in central coast and when I talk to my collegues who all live in a 20km radius of the office, my 50 mins drive is about the same that they are doing each day. Difference being that every night I drive home I get the 'going on holiday' feeling and work is left behind along with the city. If you are after bars and restaurants and more going out options then go for nearer the city but if you are after more house for your money, quieter beaches and getting away from it then seriously consider the CC. Any questions please just ask.

Guest mike_2006uk

Hi everyone . I'm Michael's other half, Rachel.

Thanks very much for posting and all the advice.

Hope you arrive safely in Oz Zoe. Let us know how you get on.:biggrin:

As it's the second time round for us, it's very much a case of learning from our mistakes. And I think living too far away from the city was one of them. So maybe Collaroy area is too far north; we'll see.

Can anybody recommend other decent areas not too far from the city and coast with plenty of rentals ?

Cheers all

Rachel

Guest Prescotts

Hi Michael & Rachel

We have been living on the northern beaches for the past 5+ years & love it here! As far as rentals go places like Dee Why & Manly probably have the most but they are expensive, lots of people want to live there as the beaches are good $350 to $550 could get you a nice place or it could get you a Studio in a not so modern block - all depends on what you're looking for, the older blocks tend to be a bit cheaper - it's a case of personal taste. There is a shortage of rentals in this part of Sydney & lots of people after not so many units. You could look at Manly Vale which isn't the beach part of Manly so fractionally cheaper but still commuter distance to the city but it may take a while in the peak hour

You might find somewhere in Seaforth, Balgowlah, Balmoral, Neutral Bay but you're getting closer & closer to the cith & could be too expensive.

Places you see on Realestate.com now will be let by the time you get here & in my experience an agent will not lease an apartment until the prospective tenant (or their representative) has viewed it

Regards

Jenny

Archived