• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
      Unpacking & settling in
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep

Where is the best place to live on the East Coast?

Hi All,

Where is the best place to live on the East Coast? We are looking at a big stretch from the Illawarra up as far as Coffs Harbour... For a long time we were very keen on CH and were pretty much decided that that was where were headed until a former work colleague of my Dad's who emigrated over to Oz in the 70s absolutely blasted the place! Now, this is only one man's view but it has made us wobble a bit. We need a bit of advice. Where else should we consider?

We are classic 'sea changers'. We're looking for a location by the sea (OH is a keen sailor) with a good, but not too hot, climate where property prices are still fairly reasonable. We have three young children (12, 10 & 7) and are keen to have access to good schools. As for work, OH has been working in the City for the last 15 years and is keen to avoid the city working lifestyle so would not ideally want to work in either Sydney or Brisbane but thinks his IT skills should be transferable to a smaller town environment. I run my own interior design business and hope to continue this in Oz too and it would be helpful to be reasonably close to a big city for sourcing etc. Coffs appears to be a growing town which ticks many of these boxes (except being close to a big city, of course). However, this guy said it was a town with no real centre and no soul and he couldn't understand why anyone would want to live there!! It looks great from our internet searches and we've read many positive reports. We'd love to hear from anyone who can counter his negative views.

However, we really feel we should research some other possibilities. Wollongong? Newcastle? Where else should we look and why?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions....!

Title
      Liked
      25 times
      Rep
      Hi There

Port Macquarie, Forster, Port Stephens, Central Coast (around Gosford), the Illawarra, they're all nice.

I haven't been in Coffs for years, but my daughter spent 10 weeks there this year as part of her internship, and she enjoyed the place.

I hate to put a dampener on things, but I think your OH will find very limited IT job opportunities outside of Sydney. The central coast and the Illawarra both have good train services to Sydney, and many people do commute from those areas.

All the best

Title
      Unpacking & settling in
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Thanks for your reply. We will certainly have a look at the towns you suggest.

Merry Christmas!:emoticon-signxmas:

Title
      Liked
      142 times
      Rep
      Hi, we are thinking exactly the same thing (although no-one has put us off yet..!)

We are flying to Sydney on the 30th, staying there for a couple of weeks and then going up to Coff's to check it out, job, property, school's etc.. I am getting a visa as an electrician although i have been running my own design and build company in the UK (Surrey also) doing all sorts of internal refurbishments, kitchens, bathrooms, bespoke carpentry as well as electrics... I ideally want to start my own company when i get there but am not sure how that works over there so i may just resort to doing electrical work for a while..

Of all the places we have thought of looking at Coff's is winning... I have checked out Sydney, although it is lovely it would be a financial struggle, especialy with the lesser amount of equity than we were expecting..!

PM me if you like and i will give you an accurate appraisal of Coff's in a few weeks once there...

When are you thinking of going to Oz..?

All the best & good luck with your descision... it's not easy is it..!

James...
      OSTR Passed Aug 08 - 175 App Aug 08 - Med's & Police Checks Nov 08 - Moved to Coffs Harbour (NSW) Jan 09 was on Tourist Visa - then on Student Visa -then... 175 Issued Nov 2010. - Working for Photovoltaics Company...Lovin it..!

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      62 times
      Rep
      Undecided, I would be looking what jobs are available on the east coast before looking for somewhere to settle, as tenquider says, the Central coast & the Illawarra are quite good areas and have affordable housing, the weather is quite good too, both places are about 90 mins from Sydney, so many travel there for work & have the luxury of living close to the beaches.
      Sailing is a popular pastime here, both on the ocean and lakes, Coffs Harbour used to be a holiday venue years ago, and although I came through there a few years ago, I'm not sure what kind of work is on offer there, I know it can get very humid there & the climate is good for growing banana's.

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      Well, we have lived in both Wollongong and now Coffs. Both great places for kids. It all depends what you are looking for and do you want to be close to a big city.

We decided we didn't and after 4 years of commuting from the Gong to Sydney for work, gave it away and moved north. We have just moved into a brand new 4 bed typical aussie house on block of land we bought earlier this year, a five minute walk from the beach.
      We have the beach, a pub, local shop, great community spirit, and only 25 mins to work.

Don't listen to what others may say of areas, you really do need to take a drive and check it out.

We now fish, swim, and spend every waking hour outdoors in a wonderful sub-tropical lifestyle.

happy to offer more info if you want

pedrowe

Title
      Unpacking & settling in
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Thanks guys for your responses. As far as work's concerned, we're thinking that we will set up our own business - we've got a couple of ideas and will see how they match the area we choose when we get there so we're not actively seeking jobs and can therefore be very flexible re area.

We really appreciate you all taking the time to reply and are busily researching all suggestions. (Pedrowe, Coffs still takes the top spot for us - you may yet see us up there!)

:biggrinxmas:

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      No worries guys - it's 28 and blue skies here - so off for a long walk on beach and then a swim. maybe see you soon up this way.

Title
      Liked
      300 times
      Rep
      Coffs Harbour is a good place if you are into sailing. Coffs Harbour Yacht Club - www.coffsyachtie.com.au is worth checking out. And I would much rather have my OH sailing the Pittwater to Coffs harbour race each year, and NOT the much more dangerous and scary Sydney to Hobart race. There's not a lot for the kids to do at night though. In that respect, it is a bit like Newcastle, Port MacQuarie or Wollongong. But if you are into all things water, it would, imho, be a good place to live.

Byron Bay, further north, near to the Queensland border, is beautiful.

On the south coast, still NSW, but south of Wollongong, Eden and Merimbula are beautiful places to live. Keep in mind though, as with Coffs Harbour, you are a long way from the cities, if you need to go to them. Eden is a good 7 hours from Melbourne and at least two hours from Canberra.

One good thing about Coffs Harbour - you're not going to freeze, even in the winter.

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Hi there,

We live just north of byron bay on the tweed coast in a classic aussie beach suburb!! beautiful beaches temp and a great lifestyle we have two boys age 3 and 1 and life is pretty good. We started off in the gong 6 years ago and travelled all the way up the coast to noosa on the way back down we found this littl espot...we are on the border of south east Qld and the gold coast so opportunites in both states plus its country beach style living and brisbane is just 1 1/2 hours away perfect for those airport trips (we get alot visitors!!) Gold coast airport is only 20 mins away too...lots to do but I recommend you come have a look at all the places you like first and make your own mind up the whole east coast is lovely but all in different ways

Good luck

lou xx
      HOME FROM HOME - Relocation & Short Term Accommodation Services
      website in progress!

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast