Where is the best place to live on the East Coast?

Guest Undecided!

Guest Undecided!

Hi All,

Where is the best place to live on the East Coast? We are looking at a big stretch from the Illawarra up as far as Coffs Harbour... For a long time we were very keen on CH and were pretty much decided that that was where were headed until a former work colleague of my Dad's who emigrated over to Oz in the 70s absolutely blasted the place! Now, this is only one man's view but it has made us wobble a bit. We need a bit of advice. Where else should we consider?

We are classic 'sea changers'. We're looking for a location by the sea (OH is a keen sailor) with a good, but not too hot, climate where property prices are still fairly reasonable. We have three young children (12, 10 & 7) and are keen to have access to good schools. As for work, OH has been working in the City for the last 15 years and is keen to avoid the city working lifestyle so would not ideally want to work in either Sydney or Brisbane but thinks his IT skills should be transferable to a smaller town environment. I run my own interior design business and hope to continue this in Oz too and it would be helpful to be reasonably close to a big city for sourcing etc. Coffs appears to be a growing town which ticks many of these boxes (except being close to a big city, of course). However, this guy said it was a town with no real centre and no soul and he couldn't understand why anyone would want to live there!! It looks great from our internet searches and we've read many positive reports. We'd love to hear from anyone who can counter his negative views.

However, we really feel we should research some other possibilities. Wollongong? Newcastle? Where else should we look and why?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions....!

Guest tenquidder

Hi There

Port Macquarie, Forster, Port Stephens, Central Coast (around Gosford), the Illawarra, they're all nice.

I haven't been in Coffs for years, but my daughter spent 10 weeks there this year as part of her internship, and she enjoyed the place.

I hate to put a dampener on things, but I think your OH will find very limited IT job opportunities outside of Sydney. The central coast and the Illawarra both have good train services to Sydney, and many people do commute from those areas.

All the best

Guest James.S

Hi, we are thinking exactly the same thing (although no-one has put us off yet..!)

We are flying to Sydney on the 30th, staying there for a couple of weeks and then going up to Coff's to check it out, job, property, school's etc.. I am getting a visa as an electrician although i have been running my own design and build company in the UK (Surrey also) doing all sorts of internal refurbishments, kitchens, bathrooms, bespoke carpentry as well as electrics... I ideally want to start my own company when i get there but am not sure how that works over there so i may just resort to doing electrical work for a while..

Of all the places we have thought of looking at Coff's is winning... I have checked out Sydney, although it is lovely it would be a financial struggle, especialy with the lesser amount of equity than we were expecting..!

PM me if you like and i will give you an accurate appraisal of Coff's in a few weeks once there...

When are you thinking of going to Oz..?

All the best & good luck with your descision... it's not easy is it..!

James...

Undecided, I would be looking what jobs are available on the east coast before looking for somewhere to settle, as tenquider says, the Central coast & the Illawarra are quite good areas and have affordable housing, the weather is quite good too, both places are about 90 mins from Sydney, so many travel there for work & have the luxury of living close to the beaches.

Sailing is a popular pastime here, both on the ocean and lakes, Coffs Harbour used to be a holiday venue years ago, and although I came through there a few years ago, I'm not sure what kind of work is on offer there, I know it can get very humid there & the climate is good for growing banana's.

Guest pedrowe

Well, we have lived in both Wollongong and now Coffs. Both great places for kids. It all depends what you are looking for and do you want to be close to a big city.

We decided we didn't and after 4 years of commuting from the Gong to Sydney for work, gave it away and moved north. We have just moved into a brand new 4 bed typical aussie house on block of land we bought earlier this year, a five minute walk from the beach.

We have the beach, a pub, local shop, great community spirit, and only 25 mins to work.

Don't listen to what others may say of areas, you really do need to take a drive and check it out.

We now fish, swim, and spend every waking hour outdoors in a wonderful sub-tropical lifestyle.

happy to offer more info if you want

pedrowe

Guest Undecided!

Thanks guys for your responses. As far as work's concerned, we're thinking that we will set up our own business - we've got a couple of ideas and will see how they match the area we choose when we get there so we're not actively seeking jobs and can therefore be very flexible re area.

We really appreciate you all taking the time to reply and are busily researching all suggestions. (Pedrowe, Coffs still takes the top spot for us - you may yet see us up there!)

:biggrinxmas:

Guest treesea

Coffs Harbour is a good place if you are into sailing. Coffs Harbour Yacht Club - www.coffsyachtie.com.au is worth checking out. And I would much rather have my OH sailing the Pittwater to Coffs harbour race each year, and NOT the much more dangerous and scary Sydney to Hobart race. There's not a lot for the kids to do at night though. In that respect, it is a bit like Newcastle, Port MacQuarie or Wollongong. But if you are into all things water, it would, imho, be a good place to live.

Byron Bay, further north, near to the Queensland border, is beautiful.

On the south coast, still NSW, but south of Wollongong, Eden and Merimbula are beautiful places to live. Keep in mind though, as with Coffs Harbour, you are a long way from the cities, if you need to go to them. Eden is a good 7 hours from Melbourne and at least two hours from Canberra.

One good thing about Coffs Harbour - you're not going to freeze, even in the winter.

• 4 months later...
Guest loulabelle

Hi there,

We live just north of byron bay on the tweed coast in a classic aussie beach suburb!! beautiful beaches temp and a great lifestyle we have two boys age 3 and 1 and life is pretty good. We started off in the gong 6 years ago and travelled all the way up the coast to noosa on the way back down we found this littl espot...we are on the border of south east Qld and the gold coast so opportunites in both states plus its country beach style living and brisbane is just 1 1/2 hours away perfect for those airport trips (we get alot visitors!!) Gold coast airport is only 20 mins away too...lots to do but I recommend you come have a look at all the places you like first and make your own mind up the whole east coast is lovely but all in different ways

Good luck

lou xx

Hi there,

We live just north of byron bay on the tweed coast in a classic aussie beach suburb!! beautiful beaches temp and a great lifestyle we have two boys age 3 and 1 and life is pretty good. We started off in the gong 6 years ago and travelled all the way up the coast to noosa on the way back down we found this littl espot...we are on the border of south east Qld and the gold coast so opportunites in both states plus its country beach style living and brisbane is just 1 1/2 hours away perfect for those airport trips (we get alot visitors!!) Gold coast airport is only 20 mins away too...lots to do but I recommend you come have a look at all the places you like first and make your own mind up the whole east coast is lovely but all in different ways

Good luck

lou xx

I was just going to suggest this area. Was down there recently and it really is a beautiful, green (must get a fair bit of rain), peaceful area with great mountain drives. Not sure if temps would suit you, but if so check it out. New highways in northern NSW and Tugun bypass make it a lot closer to Gold Coast and Brisbane if you have to return to city life occasionally. Note sure what it is like to live there but Kingscliff and south always seems like a nice little place. Think our last trip to Bryon Bay only took 1hr 45mins from Brisbane.

Guest snow white

only 1 hour 45 mins from brissie but the again your jack is a well behaved boy ii know lol

lesley x

only 1 hour 45 mins from brissie but the again your jack is a well behaved boy ii know lol

lesley x

Glad to see you got him on a good day :) 1hr 45m must seem a lot longer with 6 in the back. I swear it used to be 2.5 hours to Bryon from Brisbane 10 or 20 years ago.

Last time we were there we stopped at the Moo Moo Cafe like usual on the way back (in Mooball) and found the owner cracking open the booze with her friends in the morning while selling off all the stock. Sad as we always liked having a scone with jam and cream while 3yo played with the animals out the back...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MOLLOYS5

Hi Lou,

read your post and am curious where you are on the coast, we are in the Northern Beaches and love it but find it a bit boring at times, Sydney is a good hike and so we dont go there much, we want a more relaxed lifesytle and were looking into Sunshine coast but not many jobs there and the Hospital(w eare both nurses) was a hike!

We have 3 kids 8,6 and 19 months, so wondering about schools,Hospitals and house prices,also is it as humid and hot as Brisbane area???

Thanks any info great!

xx Bridget

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bob Tonnor

I have been living south of Coffs for about the last five years and i think that its an amazing place, the housing is still relatively cheap, the weather in Coffs has been voted the most liveable tempreture in the whole country. There are jobs in Coffs but i suppose its like anywhere outside of the major centres, its not really a place to pick and choose between jobs. There are many websites out there that can give you pretty good over all information on the towns outside of the Capitals, try Australian Travel Information, Travelling in Australia, Backpacking in Australia, Holidays in Australia, Australian Travel Guide, Australian Explorer or Location Lowdown , i reckon this forum should give you a pretty good idea but who is really going to say 'i live here and i hate it',you can get a reasonable feel for the place from these sites but in the end you can live somewhere for years and end up hating the place.

Good luck

Guest loulabelle

Hi Bridget,

Did you send me a PM? or did I just dream that I have replied to you??!!! My life is a little hectc and my brain power isnt at its strongest in the evening!!! I'm sure you would understand wih similar age children, We live on the tweed coast in a little (well geting bigger now) suburb called pottsville...there are about 4 hospitals in commuting distance...the beaches are fab abd my children love it....i'd say is very different from northern beaches though...we are country New Wales South aferall

pm me if you need more info (i have a three year old pressing the buttons for me) grrrr

Lou xx

Archived