Sydney suburbs near beach & decent commute times - your advice please

CelinaOz

Hello everyone! My husband has a job offer in Sydney (we were looking at moving to Brisbane but this has come up!). We have a three and six year old, so looking for good schools, a walk away if possible. Commute time to CBD - up to 45 mins. Rent - up to $1,500pw.

We've looked at Manly and Allambie Heights at the moment. Liking the look of the fast 15 mins ferry! Thinking he could cycle to the Manly ferry if we're not too far from there. Any thoughts & suggestions would be amazing. Thank you. X

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allambie Heights is classified as Northern Beaches but to be honest it isn't that close to a beach and it is also one of the less desirable suburbs as far as Northern Beach suburbs go that is, I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with it per se. But as you have a good budget I would look elsewhere.

We lived in Collaroy, three bed three bath house for $1,300 per week, walking distance to beach and great cafe vibe. But only 45 minutes into the city outside rush hour. Manly is a good choice I think, although I don't remember a ferry ever taking less than thirty minutes and ther can be quite painful queues to get on and off, I don't think I would want to do it every day, bus makes more sense! Freshwater might suit you, Seaforth maybe even Mosman.

For good schools, think about the north shore (Kirribilli to Hornsby) or the Eastern Suburbs. "Good" meaning world-class $15-30K per child per year! There are probably decent schools all over the city to be honest, but those two areas probably have the best reputations schools-wise. Walking distance might be an issue though... it's a city of 5 million people after all and the schools are spread out. Not to pee on your chips but commuting by car is an absolute nightmare here... unbelievably clogged roads and some expensive tolls. 45 minutes is an unattainable dream for a *lot* of people. I would advise you to do everything possible to set up close to a train station, ferry wharf or decent bus route if a shortish commute is a must-have.

BTW, you were right - there is a fast ferry - about 18 minutes to the city.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Sounds like living in walkable or cyclable distance of a ferry stop is the best idea to help the commute be as fast as poss for my husband.

Umm well I am not quite sure how you deduced that from the responses you had... :err:

Where abouts is he going to be working in the city ?

have you checked cost of fast ferry ticket ?

Have you also checked on accomodation and what you will get.

Most times the discription is far from what You actually get.

Anything close to ferry routes etc you will pay top dollar for.

good luck

Where abouts is he going to be working in the city ?

have you checked cost of fast ferry ticket ?

Have you also checked on accomodation and what you will get.

Most times the discription is far from what You actually get.

Anything close to ferry routes etc you will pay top dollar for.

good luck

Hi there! Location TBC, yes checked the cost of the fast ferry ticket thanks. Yes, checked accommodation prices. Thanks for the heads up. Think we'll need to rent a holiday let for the first month whilst we actually look at places, so we can see them in the flesh. Thinking of an area within short cycling distance of the ferry stops to get some more space as we don't fancy a cramped flat!

you could live anywhere from Manly up to Mona Vale, Newport areas. Look at Curl Curl, Freshwater, Collaroy, Narrabeen, Warriewood, Mona Vale any of those... If you get time to hang out, you'll get a feel for it yourself.

It takes a bit longer to get to where you need to go the higher up yopu are, and depending on where you work. The bus kicks out at Wynyard due to the light rail construction going down George St - so combined time could be over an hour... but if it's a nice place it's probably worth the bother... We moved inland from the Northern beaches on the North Shore train line at Killara. It makes 'sense' on many levels, as the train is fast and reliable... but it's not like living on the beaches at all. It probably suits many, but for us it's quite boring (although the schools, are also great here). People here just work in the city and live in big houses with many trees.

So we are moving to Newport in 2 weeks, and my commute might be up to 90 mins each way, instead of 45 / 60 mins it is now. But we think it's worth it. My wife has a job at Mona Vale and the kids will move schools, so they'll all be there.

The Eastern Suburbs are also nice, but I think the northern beaches maybe more laid back and family ish. Or you could live down Cronulla way and get the train, but it quite busy near the sea.

you could live anywhere from Manly up to Mona Vale, Newport areas. Look at Curl Curl, Freshwater, Collaroy, Narrabeen, Warriewood, Mona Vale any of those... If you get time to hang out, you'll get a feel for it yourself.

It takes a bit longer to get to where you need to go the higher up yopu are, and depending on where you work. The bus kicks out at Wynyard due to the light rail construction going down George St - so combined time could be over an hour... but if it's a nice place it's probably worth the bother... We moved inland from the Northern beaches on the North Shore train line at Killara. It makes 'sense' on many levels, as the train is fast and reliable... but it's not like living on the beaches at all. It probably suits many, but for us it's quite boring (although the schools, are also great here). People here just work in the city and live in big houses with many trees.

So we are moving to Newport in 2 weeks, and my commute might be up to 90 mins each way, instead of 45 / 60 mins it is now. But we think it's worth it. My wife has a job at Mona Vale and the kids will move schools, so they'll all be there.

The Eastern Suburbs are also nice, but I think the northern beaches maybe more laid back and family ish. Or you could live down Cronulla way and get the train, but it quite busy near the sea.

Thanks for that helpful info. I checked Cronulla area thank you but seems a little too far out. My husband currently has an almost 2 hour commute, so one of the main things for us doing this big Oz move is getting more family time - so a commute under an hour is crucial for us.

I've looked at the train lines and it's such a shame there aren't any serving the northern coastal suburbs. Ps Lane Cove is an area that I've noted as people is saying is nice for families and ok for commuting. But truly, I think I'd rather live in a smaller house & be nearer the beach.

Thanks for that helpful info. I checked Cronulla area thank you but seems a little too far out. My husband currently has an almost 2 hour commute, so one of the main things for us doing this big Oz move is getting more family time - so a commute under an hour is crucial for us.

I've looked at the train lines and it's such a shame there aren't any serving the northern coastal suburbs. Ps Lane Cove is an area that I've noted as people is saying is nice for families and ok for commuting. But truly, I think I'd rather live in a smaller house & be nearer the beach.

Look at Oatley. Half an hour to the beach at Cronulla by car or train, 45 minutes commute to the CBD.

:)

Hello Celina. I can probably answer some of your questions.

Really everything has got a positive upside and a negative downside. Just keep that in mind whilst you are looking.

Allambie Heights is horrible. In my opinion.

Manly is nice but gets very very busy.

I have lived in Australia for 25 years and lived all over the place including the past 15 years in Sydney. But my favourite place to live by far is the upper Northern Beaches area in Sydney.

I was previously living in Wahroonga. This is a lovely area, as has a village community feel to it. It has tree lined streets, lovely houses, shops, cafes, and is located close to several extremely good schools both private and selective.

It is also on the main direct train line to the city. So it is an excellent choice in a practical sense. Before I got a job further up the line in St Leonards, I use to get the 7.05am train from Wahroonga and arrive at Wynyard in the city at 7.41am.

And nowadays there are three “Quite” carriages on most trains, which is very relaxing. So you can read a book or snooze for the trip.

There is also a faster train that comes down from the Central Coast which skips all of the small stations in between. To get the faster train, you have go to the next suburb over and catch it from Hornsby.

In a practical sense, any suburb on the train line from Cowan down to North Sydney would be a good choice for a family.

The downside is: many of these suburbs are conservative and a little dull, especially on weekends.

A few years ago we moved to Newport on the Northern Beaches. I absolutely love it here because there is so much to do and it has a laid back relaxed lifestyle. It is like being on your summer holidays permanently…….well not quite but hopefully you get my drift.

I have a ten minute walk to Newport Beach. Or sometimes I walk along the cliff to Bilgola Beach. And I have a short car or bus trip to at least ten other beaches. And each beach has an enclosed clean pool if you don’t like ocean swimming. Some beaches are better for children, or surfers, or whatever, so lots of choice.

Plus being near gorgeous Pittwater, you have sailing, canoeing, jet skiing, fishing and other water related activities, and also bushwalking in the beautiful nearby National Park thrown into the mix.

The pubs, cafes and restaurants are brilliant; so much choice from cheap to expensive. There are excellent shopping options and cinemas. There is a massive shopping venue called Warringah Mall which is located near Manly. But I do all my shopping in Mona Vale or Warriewood, as both locations have everything I need.

The downside is lack of public transport on the Northern Beaches. Buses only. No train.

Which means to “beat the traffic” we leave home at 6.15am. Mona Vale Road becomes a carpark around 8.00am, so we go through early to beat the traffic.

That is the sacrifice I make, but I think it is more than worth it.

It also means that we can get to work early and leave early. We have made this arrangement with our managers, as have many Sydney workers.

I work in St Leonards and my husband works in the city near Town Hall station. So we drive to Gordon station which takes around 25 minutes. We park there and catch the train. It takes me 11 minutes on the train and takes my husband 26 minutes.

So you are looking at about a 1 hour commute from Newport into Sydney CBD by combined car and train if going via Mona Vale Road. There are of course several routes into the city. Via the Spit Bridge or via the Wakehurst Parkway. Lots of people also go via Belrose and round the back of Chatswood. It is just a matter of finding which route works best for you.

I would never drive direct into the city (unless leaving super early like 5.00am) as the roads really can get congested and parking in the city is expensive.

Lastly you can get a really lovely house for $1,000 - $1,500 per week.

I have just seen a truly stunning place in Avalon in that price range. And another in Clareville with amazing jaw-dropping views over Pittwater. And lovely duplex in Newport for $600.

I am happy to answer any other questions you have.

Sounds like living in walkable or cyclable distance of a ferry stop is the best idea to help the commute be as fast as poss for my husband.

If you are not too fussed about the beach and scenery views kind of lifestyle, then Kirribilli could be a very good choice.

It is a lovely suburb.

You can walk or cycle into the CBD from there.

Also within walking distance to a train line located at Milsons Point. And shops, cafes, restaurants and pubs are close on hand too. Also some nice walking tracks around the harbour foreshore. And quite close to the zoo and touristy activities.

Good schools nearby or via short train commute.

You can get a nice rental in your price range too.

A pretty harbour beach called Balmoral is 20 minutes drive away.

The Northern Beaches are mainly ocean beaches. But around Kirribilli there are harbour beaches. You can swim and sail at harbour beaches; but you cannot surf.

You mention about commute. Most people that work in Sydney have a long commute. Around 45 mins, or 1 - 2 hours is the norm. I know newly arrived Poms freak out about this. But it is quite normal and just one of those things.

So for a short commute somewhere like Kirribilli is perfect. To walk from Milsons Point or Kirribilli across to Circular Quay CBD, takes about 20 mins.

You could also cycle, get the bus, or train, into the city easily too from this suburb.

You could even drive.

Edited by BooBooBear
Spelling

All good tips here. We are moving from Killara (convenient, great train service, great schools, expensive and deathly dull) to Newport next week as it happens.

My wife has a job based on mona vale hospital so it makes a lot of sense.

The kids are all staying at their schools in Killara until the end of the year though, just so they can complete their projects and school trips/camp.

So I'll drive out on the a3 / Mona Vale road. I heard if we leave before 7:15am we'll beat the worst of the traffic. Then the kids will get to school and I'll carry on getting the train in.

I'll probably get the bus in the new year, but as I generally work nearer central/Redfern it means then getting a bus. (Whereas the train is handy because it goes straight into central and Redfern)

I came to the conclusion that there is more to life than a convenient commute. But in the other hand I don't really want to be sat in a traffic jam every day (life is too short).

L90 bus seems like a winner. Can listen to music instead of being sat behind the wheel.

We're all looking forward to living up there. It feels like we moved all the way from Wrexham, only to bottle it and live 20k inland in a neighbourhood full of SUVs and trees. Now we get to where we hoped to be all along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's. Great place to live, CR we lived directly opp Mona vale hospital 2 min walk to beach ,I believe warriwood shopping mal has been made a lot bigger which is good, life was good on the beaches am sure you will enjoy it , unfortunately there are always compromises to be made and better down time is worth that bit extra commute imho

Goid luck with the move

Done it every morning for the past three years.

It takes me 25 minutes travelling at the normal speed limit.

HI BBB.

What's the latest someone can leave to avoid getting stuck in traffic in your opinion? We will drive down from newport, then turn off the MV road at St Ives, and head down the link road to Killara. we need to get there for around 8am

tThanks in advance

Matt

As I said you are doing well , I did the trip for 2 years leaving at 5.50 every morning it would always be 6.30 occasionally a bit quicker with all the road works around the new hospital at French forest more traffic will use mona vale road ,

you ever been stuck behind a truck going up Mona vale road ? .

I picked up a new car from Cantebury way - and then had to go to Rockdale to go to a RM place for rego. It tool 2:45 to get back to Killara (and was bloody frustrating) It;s only about 20km. The A3 was a total roadblock all the way until past the macquarie centre... real pain in the ass!

But I guess I just beed to specifically know about the area between Newport and the Link road which is just in St Ives. Soem said it's ok if I am on the road by 7:15, - but I guess it could still be a bit busy. What's it like in your experience?

I would allow 40 min then time to find a park as a lot of parking spots close to station get filled up pretty quick .

Did the trip from Sans Souci for nearly 3 years over to killara area coming home was a night mare best was 50 min longest 4 hrs on average 2-3 hrs sydney traffic is a nightmare.