What´s Lane Cove like?

Ozblueskies

Hi there,

I moved to Sydney 6 months ago and really love it so far. I am female, in my late 30s and came on my own. I managed to secure a small 2 bedroom apartment in the Kirribilli/North Sydney area within the first few weeks of my arrival and have settled in. My lease expires in a few months and I am thinking about moving to a different suburb. I do like the Lower North Shore and being so close to the city (where I work) - but obviously, you get more value for money further out. I prefer a modern apartment with lots of natural light - at the moment, I am renting a relative old unit which is very cute, but also quite old and dark. Since I plan to work from home from time to time, it´s important that the place has good natural light. Also, it´s important to have good access to parks, water etc.

I do like the apartments in Milsons Point but they are more on the expensive side...

I noticed that there are quite a few nice apartment complexes in Lane Cove. My rental budget is around 600pw. It looks quite nice, very green (I love running) and near the water.

It seems to be popular with families though - and whilst I am no longer in the party/clubbing scene, I would like to have a few options to go out (cafes, restaurants etc.).

I am interested to hear people´s opinion about this suburb esp. ease of commute to the city, atmosphere, vibe, etc.?

Thank you!

I live in Chatswood, so very close to Lane Cove. It's a nice area but my reservation would be the public transport links - depending where you're looking within Lane Cove of course. Maybe do a bit of Googling on walking times from Chatswood / Artarmon stations and see what bus routes go through the area.

It might also be worth looking at Willoughby / Castlecrag / Cammeray areas, as they are close to Middle Harbour and also fairly green and open. But less apartments so rental costs will probably be higher.

Edited by vickyplum

Lane Cove is nice, and it's popular with families but plenty of cafes/restaurants as well and quite a few single people around. Quick word of warning - it's a big suburb, and parts out west towards the Lane Cove river, or around Mowbray Rd in Lane Cove North, aren't really very near anything at all. For transport as well as facilities you want to be close to the village. There are a few new unit blocks in this area, no idea what they cost to rent in. No trains in Lane Cove but tons of buses

For leafy suburbs with good cafes/bars/restaurants also look at Crow's Nest (trains from St Leonards), Cammeray (buses again), Neutral Bay (buses, but lots of them). Neutral Bay is cheaper than you would often think given its proximity to the city - tons of flats in this area so lots of supply means some good deals to be had. More cafes/bars/restaurants etc here than anywhere else too

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your input! Sorry for the late reply, the past 2 weeks have been super busy...

I keep looking around the Lower North Shore area in general, but I just noticed that Lane Cove has quite a few nice and new apartments whereas most of the other mentioned suburbs (even though they´re nice) have more older style apartments. They certainly have their charm (as I live in one now) but I really would like to move into a modern apartment with lots of natural light... Most of the older style apartments are unfortunately quite dark and I find that quite depressing....Just prefer a fresher touch I guess.

I was talking to one of colleagues who lives in Lane Cove. She´s 30 and single and quite likes it there. Bus transport into the city seems to be fairly good and she mentioned that there´s usually a good supply of modern apartments...sometimes even more supply than demand so it might be possible to negiotiate on rent a bit.

Anyway, will probably have a look at a few places in the next weeks to get a feel for the suburb.

Any further comments greatly appreciated!