What's Ryde like, NSW

Hi everyone,

We've just been invited to apply for a 190 with NSW. Looking at places in Sydney. I have 2 kids, age 8 and 6. Is Ryde a good area for families? Budget wise think we'll have about $2000-3000 a month and I want to be near a) good schools, b) decent access to the main city (no more than 50-60 mins commute) and c) an ice rink as my youngest currently trains twice a wk here in the uk.

Is the Ryde area nice? Would anyone recommend anywhere else?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

We've just been invited to apply for a 190 with NSW. Looking at places in Sydney. I have 2 kids, age 8 and 6. Is Ryde a good area for families? Budget wise think we'll have about $2000-3000 a month and I want to be near a) good schools, b) decent access to the main city (no more than 50-60 mins commute) and c) an ice rink as my youngest currently trains twice a wk here in the uk.

Is the Ryde area nice? Would anyone recommend anywhere else?

Thanks!

We lived in North Ryde for over 20 years and liked the area very much. Handy public transport, decent schools and there are a couple of shopping centres close by. Macquarie shopping centre has an ice rink.

Ryde is pretty good. Over to the East (towards Boronia Park) it's probably too expensive, but nice. North Ryde, Denistone & Marsfield good suburbs also. The whole area has a fairly sizeable Chinese minority and in Eastwood and possibly Epping these days it's not far off a majority. Being convenient for the railway (either through Macquarie Uni/Mac Park, or the Northern line through Eastwood) is always going to push prices up because of commuting convenience, but the transport links are very good. Also lots of quick buses down the M2 into the city, and there's a big bus corridor down Victoria Road but this gets congested.

There's an ice rink/centre in the Norwest business park in Baulkham Hills as well, so potentially anywhere up that M2 corridor could be considered. Almost all the suburbs around it (Kellyville, Baulkham Hills, Bella Vista, Glenwood, Castle Hill, Stanhope Gardens etc) are pretty nice, as a (very) rough rule of thumb it gets cheaper as you move away from the city. Transport not quite so good into the city as it's that much further out, but there are still the express buses down the M2 and the Sydney Metro Northwest goes through this area, it's under construction and opening in 2019. Express services into Chatswood in about 25 minutes then a change at Chatswood that will take another 15-20 mins into the city. From 2024 it'll be a direct route with no change and that will take another 10 minutes off

Hi there, we are currently living in North Ryde. My husband takes 40 minutes door to door to get to the CBD, he takes a bus which, after it leaves North Ryde goes directly to the city. We take our kids to two great parks here, Blenheim Park which has a racing track for radio controlled cars which the kids and husband think is great fun. Also, Livvi's Place playground is absolutely fantastic for kids, it has a flying fox and all sorts of good stuff. I can't say anything about the schools as we don't attend the ones in North Ryde but I'm sure they are fine. There is a nice little town centre with IGA, post office etc. It is nice to be so close to Macquarie Mall as well. It is easy to get out of the city quickly too. I think you should be fine to get a decent rental for that price, we have been paying $650 a week for a cute 3 bedroom house, although our lease has been terminated unfortunately. I think it is pretty good for families around here, although still expensive to buy a house, so make sure you think about the fact that your kids will get attached to their school . Also, there is nothing preventing landlords from terminating your lease after just one year and I think it happens a lot in Sydney because two of my friends and myself have had that happen.

A word of warning, I am an ice skater myself, and we avoid going to Macquarie Ice Rink. It is busy, and the ice is just terrible(thin with ruts and melting). We always drive to Baulkham Hills Ice Rink, which is drastically better, and cheaper. You may be disappointed in Macquarie ice rink.

A word of warning, I am an ice skater myself, and we avoid going to Macquarie Ice Rink. It is busy, and the ice is just terrible(thin with ruts and melting). We always drive to Baulkham Hills Ice Rink, which is drastically better, and cheaper. You may be disappointed in Macquarie ice rink.

I was going to say something about that myself, but it is ages since I've been to the Macquarie rink and I was hoping it would've improved. Sounds like it hasn't!

Thanks all really appreciate your feedback. It's getting so real now I go from incredibly excited to down right terrified in a about 5 seconds! I know we'll love it and the kids will thrive, but I keeping panicking that we're making a mistake. Probably because my parents are 100% against us going! I guess panicking is natural though. Thanks again :)