Broadband / fibre ISP tips

Captain Roberto

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't have too much hassle getting set up with Telstra. The cable connection was already in the house, so I went into a Telstra shop, signed up, paid, and a new (faster) cable modem/wifi router was delivered a couple of days later.

Activating the account involved a bit of faffing I vaguely recall, especially since their "automated" voice recognition system didn't recognise my accent until I used Aussie pronunciation: "Internit" etc. :-/ But I was up and running within a week of getting the keys to the house.

30Mbps down / 1Mbps up. $73 a month.

The download limit *was* 50GB a month, but yesterday they sent me an email saying they are raising it to 100GB a month at no cost.

(Which is handy cos I was going over 50GB with iPlayer downloads.)

Overall I'm fairly happy with it.

Edited by mungbean

We use Belong which is part of telstra. For $80 you get 500GB a month.

https://www.belong.com.au/adsl

The reason I chose them is that they have a fixed connection fee. We were in a new build and would have paid $299 to get telstra to connect us. But on a deal we got $0 connection , with normal $100 mandatory modem (ripoff) for $1 (offer still going now and you can do 6 months for $70 a month).

You also get free local and 1300 phone calls included (but cannot dial national or mobile). Great for those long waits for customer support. Also I have a local skype to go number so can use that to call anywhere (use it for UK calls).

We then moved to a newish unit that had no active phone line and again didn't pay for a connection. A telstra guy had to come out to connect the outside box which would have cost $150 or something.

There is a referral process (we both get $20). If you are thinking of signing up pm me for a referral code.

We might move to an unlimited deal somewhere, but 500GB is probably enough.

Edited by davlap

• 4 weeks later...

We went with an Optus deal at $95 a month for cable (unlimited) with a TV service thing (a bit like sky+), Netflix etc

Usually there's a $125 connection fee, but at the moment it's waived.

We tried to go without to save money but it wasn't that feasible. Trying to do everything off phone data and using the 'free wifi' in the library wasn't working at all.

Everything requires a decent internet connection these days... It's become unavoidable

Ahoy Captain

I've not been through the full tax cycle yet, but I'm told you can claim serious amounts of tax exemption for anything and everything related to working (or studying) from home.

Including heating, eqpt costs, etc.

Would be good to get some pointers on this.

We went with an Optus deal at $95 a month for cable (unlimited) with a TV service thing (a bit like sky+), Netflix etc

Usually there's a $125 connection fee, but at the moment it's waived.

We tried to go without to save money but it wasn't that feasible. Trying to do everything off phone data and using the 'free wifi' in the library wasn't working at all.

Everything requires a decent internet connection these days... It's become unavoidable