New South Whales

mungbean

I fulfilled a long-held ambition on Sunday morning: went Whale-watching in Sydney!

Well, just off Bondi to be exact. The migration season has just started and they're heading North, up the East coast, to breed.

It's amazing that you can jump on a boat in Darling Harbour or Circular Quay and within an hour or so can be watching Humpbacks frolicking in the silvery ocean. We even saw a "double breach" at one point, with the two Whales we'd been watching leaping right out of the water at the same time.

Some pics from the day, supplied (sold) by the crew of the boat...

EU9F0186.jpg

EU9F0190.jpg

EU9F0240.jpg

EU9F0208.jpg

EU9F0190.jpg

EU9F0240.jpg

EU9F0208.jpg

EU9F0186.jpg

Looks great. Were you seasick? One of my friends went out of the Heads for a whale watching expedition and said he was sea sick for the entire trip.

I wasn't, but another of the passengers was hanging over the side and ridding herself of breakfast for 80-90% of the trip.

Some fancy residential conversion.

I've not been down to Bondi for a couple of months, and stay away from anywhere in Sydney for even a couple of weeks, and there is something new going up. I saw something in the Sun Herald I think, about a big new appartment block in Darling Harbour that sold out completely in five hours.

I've not been down to Bondi for a couple of months, and stay away from anywhere in Sydney for even a couple of weeks, and there is something new going up. I saw something in the Sun Herald I think, about a big new appartment block in Darling Harbour that sold out completely in five hours.

I heard that on the radio, apparently the project was meant to be about affordable housing for average people, but the basic 1 beds (no parking, I expect?) were $800,000.

Wow it's really picking up out there... same company I went with on Sunday reported this today:

The ocean was full of life this afternoon with 4 humpback whales seen, 3 minke whales, about 100 dolphins, sea birds aaaaand a penguin!

https://www.facebook.com/whalewatchingsydney/timeline/story?ut=43&wstart=0&wend=1433141999&hash=-6101517473629489458&pagefilter=3

We went whale watching from Jervis Bay last year. Fantastic experience which we shall repeat this year. Got some great photos, and satisfaction in seeing the person who had knocked my little girl to the ground being sick over the side, whilst my little girl was having a great time stretching her (very experienced) sea legs :)