opinions on places to live

Captain Roberto

Hey up Sydney folks

re: north sydney

I thought i'd had our list of places to live pretty nailed, but i have asked a couple of Sydney natives, and they've thrown up a couple of extra choices.

so - does anyone on here live in or around Pymble, Gordon, Turramurra, Wahroonga or St Ives? These places are probably a bit further north than the other places we looked at in this area, but they are on the train line.

Do people who live around here go to the Northern beaches for days out?

Is there much to do? We did want to look at Forestville, Killarney Heights and Frenchs Forest - but it seems a commute to the CBD would be better on the north train line that goes through Pymble, Gordon, Turramurra, Wahroonga etc. (my job is in Darlinghurst)

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Matthew.

Edited by Captain Roberto

so - does anyone on here live in or around Pymble, Gordon, Turramurra, Wahroonga or St Ives? These places are probably a bit further north than the other places we looked at in this area, but they are on the train line.

They are all lovely suburbs (especially Wahroonga) but they are also classed as "dress circle" in other words: posh and expensive :)

Good schools in area too if that is what you need. And yes, all on the train line.

Is there much to do? We did want to look at Forestville, Killarney Heights and Frenchs Forest - but it seems a commute to the CBD would be better on the north train line that goes through Pymble, Gordon, Turramurra, Wahroonga etc. (my job is in Darlinghurst).

Yes the commute would be better via the train, but still doable by car or bus from Forestville, Killarney Heights and Frenchs Forest. But personally I would stick along the train line - as traffic in rush hour to the city can be horrific some mornings (unless you leave early before or late after rush hour)

When you say "is there much to do", what do you mean exactly? Most are general type suburbs with shops, cafes, parks, schools, cinemas etc.... but for trail bike riding, bush walking, or other extra activities, you would need to really live in areas that offered this on their doorsteps like Hornsby Heights.

The high school here has a very good pass rate.

Some of the best North Shore Schools (some best in state too) with excellent pass rates:

http://www.hornsbygir-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/

http://www.abbotsleigh.nsw.edu.au/default.aspx

http://www.loretonh.nsw.edu.au/

https://www.barker.nsw.edu.au/

http://www.knox.nsw.edu.au/

http://www.jamesruse.nsw.edu.au/

James Ruse, which has been the top school in the state since the mid 1990s, is a high school situated in western Sydney.

They are indeed all good schools BUT, they're all either private (and very expensive private, at that) or selective.

What good schools are there on the North Shore which are neither private nor selective?

They are indeed all good schools BUT, they're all either private (and very expensive private)

If you can afford to live in Pymble, Gordon, Killara, Turramurra, Wahroonga or St Ives…….you can probably afford these schools!

Then again, that is presuming you live on the RIGHT side of Pymble, Gordon, Killara, Turramurra, Wahroonga or St Ives.

Living on the WRONG side means you are a poor pleb apparently. Or so I have been told.

Oh the snobby North Shore :laugh:

seems most or all of the non selective state schools in the area north of the harbour, around the train line and maybe a bit further east are good or better, according to the pass rates on http://myschool.edu.au/

Killara High school is the highest performing non-selective public schools in NSW (wikipedia) - so this area rates highly for schools and train commute into the CBD. Many of the otherhigh schools in the area also good

St Ives

Davidson

Killarney Heights

Turramurra High School

Schools[edit]

Killara is served by two top ranking public primary schools, Killara Public School and Beaumont Road Public School.[5] The suburb is also home to Killara High School, the highest performing non-selective government secondary school in the state of New South Wales.[6][7]

so - it looks good in many ways. Many have said go nearer the train, as bus could be a bit flakey for my commute though.

...Is there much to do? ...

I think this depends on what sort of thing you like doing. These areas are generally considered to be be rather conservative, quiet and family orientated. You may find yourself having to get in the car and drive more often if you want to visit a variety of restaurants / cafés / shops etc. I'm not sure what's happening up there in the way of theatre and galleries?

But maybe you'd get your fill of all that during the week in and around Darlinghurst?

Edited by Naomi from Manchester

Many have said go nearer the train, as bus could be a bit flakey for my commute though.

I've found the Sydney buses to be pretty unreliable, probably due to the heavy/unpredictable traffic. If you're somewhere that has lots of different services all going where you want to be then it will be much easier. If you have to make a specific train connection each morning it might be a hassle.

I just bought myself a bike, and now have a lovely 22-minute ride to work along the edge of Rozelle bay, mostly along off-road cycle paths. :)

(And this is after finding myself waiting up to 25 mins at the bus stop because my bus to work just didn't turn up.)

Google maps can show you bike routes for Sydney.

Ferries are pretty good too, and you can take your bike on them if you have one. A very pleasant way to start the day.

If you're going for the bus I'd definitely recommend getting the TripView app for your phone... it's not free but it gives live information on each route, including how late they're running and a map showing their location. Also the free Opal app that shows routes for buses, trains, ferries and the light rail. I use both of these regularly and they're really useful, especially when you first arrive.

I've found the Sydney buses to be pretty unreliable, probably due to the heavy/unpredictable traffic. If you're somewhere that has lots of different services all going where you want to be then it will be much easier. If you have to make a specific train connection each morning it might be a hassle.

I just bought myself a bike, and now have a lovely 22-minute ride to work along the edge of Rozelle bay, mostly along off-road cycle paths. :)

(And this is after finding myself waiting up to 25 mins at the bus stop because my bus to work just didn't turn up.)

Google maps can show you bike routes for Sydney.

Ferries are pretty good too, and you can take your bike on them if you have one. A very pleasant way to start the day.

If you're going for the bus I'd definitely recommend getting the TripView app for your phone... it's not free but it gives live information on each route, including how late they're running and a map showing their location. Also the free Opal app that shows routes for buses, trains, ferries and the light rail. I use both of these regularly and they're really useful, especially when you first arrive.

Ah thanks @mungbean great practical tips. I'll grab those apps now.

We still don't really know exactly where we'll base ourselves, although we have some good ideas now and have researched lots of options. Seeing as we won't be filthy rich and will most likely only have a rent budget of $800 p/w (or $900 at a pinch) we ruled out a few places we liked (inc Eastern 'burbs and inner west). Much of our choices are driven by a few factors. The reality of having 3 kids who probably don't need to hang our in cool cafes and bars, needing to find good schools and knowing I'll be commuting.

I spent the last 4 years here in the UK commuting between 60-90 mins each way to work and it can get a bit tedious - so I have been looking at ways to reduce this time. less than an hour is good, and less again would be lovely, hence looking at train lines. Bike/train could also work though. I have a job now at an agency in Darlinghurst, so that's good.

Anyway - I'm blabbering... Our flight leaves in 5 weeks, so i'll be sorting all this for real soon enough.

Edited by Captain Roberto

If you can afford to live in Pymble, Gordon, Killara, Turramurra, Wahroonga or St Ives…….you can probably afford these schools!

Then again, that is presuming you live on the RIGHT side of Pymble, Gordon, Killara, Turramurra, Wahroonga or St Ives.

Living on the WRONG side means you are a poor pleb apparently. Or so I have been told.

Oh the snobby North Shore :laugh:

Hi @jumpingjillybean

nope, not loaded! Just a couple of average professionals with 3 kids. There never really seems to be any spare money, so private schools and all that stuff are not a thing.

Also, we don't especially like the idea of the north shore for aspirational reasons, and probably won't be getting a shiny SUV :) he he. We are also looking south of the city on the train line too. We just want a nice place for family life, decent schools, not a million miles from the coast and a good commute.

Budgets have rules out some areas - so we seem to be down to a couple now (north and south of the CBD on the train line)

Thanks for all the tips and links though. Very much appreciated!

Matthew

We lived in Turramurra. It's OK, leafy, conservative, a bit dull. Not much in the way of shops or cafes. We moved closer to Chatswood because we prefer a more multicultural area - great Asian restaurants. Kids still go to Turramurra High, which is a great school with good academic record. All those places you mentioned are OK for train transport (if you're near the station - we lived about a mile down the hill in Turramurra). Trains are OK but I would never commute on Pacific Highway.

We lived in Turramurra. It's OK, leafy, conservative, a bit dull. Not much in the way of shops or cafes. We moved closer to Chatswood because we prefer a more multicultural area - great Asian restaurants. Kids still go to Turramurra High, which is a great school with good academic record. All those places you mentioned are OK for train transport (if you're near the station - we lived about a mile down the hill in Turramurra). Trains are OK but I would never commute on Pacific Highway.

Thanks @MichaelP - good to know. Would you say that "OK, leafy, conservative, a bit dull. Not much in the way of shops or cafes" thing is a common thread with the suburbs around that area?

Every time we try and refine an area to search for a rental, there always seems to be something not quite right. We like the idea of more vibes and multiculturalism and nice food, things to do and have found many of those places. Then it seems the schools in those places are either private or selective or the normal state schools seem a bit sub-standard. It's really tricky to 'tick all boxes' - especially if you're not made of money.

When you moved closer to Chatswood, you had no issues with the schools then? I am guessing you had to be right in the catchment initially to get your places right?

I'm wondering whether you could get a 4 bed for $900 in Summer hill, since you would be near Dulwich HS (which I think you once said was an option?) and maybe Balmain HS would also be doable from there? Summerhill to a Darlinghurst wouldn't be too much hassle on the train, I don't think. Summerhill is a good little suburb, people who live here seem to love it, there's enough decent, non-pretentious cafés and restaurants etc there, and it's well connected to everything else going on in the Inner West. It's not near any beaches - that would be a sacrifice (if you were to drive before the traffic, say leaving home before 9am on a weekend, you should be able to get to the Eastern beaches in under 40 mins, but it could take you longer coming back), but it isn't far from parts of the harbour. I love nearby Leichhardt Park which is on the harbour and has a great outdoor aquatic centre. (Leichhardt Park is not in the suburb of Leichhardt, btw).

James Ruse, which has been the top school in the state since the mid 1990s, is a high school situated in western Sydney.

I had to Google it, actually in Carlingford? That is a nice suburb, though not strictly speaking in 'Western Sydney' - more 'North Western' - around Cheltenham, Beecroft?

It comes under Met West area of Dept of Ed and Training. Yes it is in Carlingford. Not sure if it is in the Parramatta Council area part of Carlingford or not. Definitely Met West. Worked for that Dept for 43 years. Pupils come mainly from the Hills,Carlingford, Epping Eastwood etc. Have to be VERY intelligent to get a place there.

Edited by Ellie 2