on the moo-ve to NSW

vickyplum

Hi all

Not really a discussion but more of an update / share / vent!

My partner and I spent the weekend finishing packing up the house over the weekend, as we've got Seven Seas coming today, to take our stuff away in a small [or maybe medium!] Move Cube. I'll be interested to see how this works out, given the mixed reviews. We used them because they offered a good price for the small cube and seems to be the most efficient way of moving our items.

There was also a panic trip to TK MAXX to purchase the largest suitcases they have to offer, and then subsequent panic weighing them and making sure the overall baggage allowance is not exceeded...

I resigned from my job on Friday, and the tenancy agreement on our flat ends Thursday, so we are off to live in a friend's spare room until 19 May! We've then got just under a week in Hong Kong and Taipei, and then head to NSW on 26 May.

So I am going to be very crumpled [living out of a suitcase] and probably a slightly less rational than usual, until this is all over. The volume of alcohol consumed may also go up...

We'll be living with my partner's Dad in Wollongong until one of us gets a job, and then hopefully we will get our own place [renting] in Sydney! I'll be looking for PA/senior admin roles and my partner will be looking for something in IT [security, firewalls, networks, UNIX, LINUX + other stuff that I have no clue about].

So long in the planning and still a rush at the end of it all :dull:

Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone else in the same situation.

Edited by vickyplum

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of very small updates after arriving in NSW yesterday [after a very rainy visit to Hong Kong & Taipei]:

1) Activated my bank account today, after opening it online from the UK. Picked up the debit card from the designated branch, they checked my ID and then activated the account so it's now ready to go. Internet banking already enabled, so if had some money in the account, I'd be up and running for all varieties of spending ;) It was absolutely no hassle, which I was very pleased about.

Today is payday from my old job in the UK, so I am going to transfer that payment to my Australian account over the weekend. I also need to apply for a TFN and tell HMRC that I have left the UK - once I receive my P45.

2) I already had a cheap pay as you go SIM card, so today I changed my plan so it's still PAYG but with a monthly bundle for calls, texts and data. I think 20 AUD a month is a pretty good deal, as I didn't want to get into a contract at this stage, and my UK phone is still perfectly usable and up to date (ish). I have put my UK SIM into an old Nokia, so that number is still active.

And for those interested in Seven Seas Move Cube - our cube/vessel is currently at the Indian Ocean end of the Red Sea. Quite exiciting!

Welcome to "winter"! :) Actually it was a beautiful day in Sydney today. You missed some appalling weather in April.

All the best with all the stuff!

Thanks! II thought the weather here today and yesterday, was just perfect. Bit of rain this afternoon but nothing too onerous.

I now have a Medicard number! Card to follow in 7-10 days. Went into my local Centrelink/Medicare/Dept of Human Resources (not sure if they are always in the same building or not?). Filled in form, got number - which is valid for 1yr - and was out again 10 min later. Pretty good going!

cool @vickyplum - did you decide where to base yourselves yet?

still keen to see what people think,as we still haven't decided between north shore (on/near train line) or south Sydney ((on/near train line).

Hope all is going well.

Hi @Captain Roberto - yes it's all going pretty well thanks! No hiccups so far, touch wood.

We will probably settle in Artarmon/Crows Nest/Greenwich/St Leonards area, maybe Chatswood. Mainly because we know and like the areas and have family and friends there, plus we want to be near a train station and not reliant on driving all the time. Being within striking distance of Chatswood means that most facilities will be close by and there are other options on the north-bound train route.

I have secured a five-month contract in the CBD, so if my partner ends up working in the same area, or North Sydney, it should be pretty easy for us.

ah sounds good!

We are looking a bit further north from there on the same train line - possibly Killara. Is Chatswood a good place to be?

I like Chatswood as it has great facilities (shopping, dining out, some cultural stuff) and is good for public transport, including express buses from the CBD, later at night, but I'm not entirely sure I'd want to live there.

The centre is fairly bland with lots of new high-rise blocks, but a 5-10 minute walk will take you to some more "ordinary" streets where property isn't too insanely priced - bearing in mind I came from London! So I think it would depend on the property but worth considering in my opinion. We are a couple so no children/pets/schooling etc to take into account. It might be a different kettle of fish if that's the case.

• 1 month later...