Places to live in Sydney

PaulDerby

Hi - I am looking to move to Sydney in the next few weeks. I need some advice of what areas I should look at ?

Im a 40-something, single, male, professional. I want an area that I can go out at night into bars etc but also want to make the most of the weather/lifestyle so somewhere near a beach would be good? I have been looking at Balmain but wondered if anyone had any ideas?

You might find this informative to get some flavours (scroll down to the "suburbs" menu options on the left): http://www.52suburbs.com.au/

Also I find that searching on domain.com.au and realeastate.com.au, and then looking at price ranges of apartments and noseying about on "street view" gives you some idea.

I've also been looking at Balmain, but seems pretty expensive (harbour views would do that I suppose), plus maybe a bit more of a hassle getting into town quickly compared to, say, Leichhardt, Lilyfield, Rozelle, Glebe?

I have been looking at Balmain but wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Balmain is a great place to live; lots of atmosphere, shops, places to eat and drink, Dawn Fraser pool, a couple of gyms, parks with harbour views, interesting homes, and you can get the ferry to Circular Quay. Parts of Rozelle are easy walking distance from Balmain and Victoria Road, where you can easily get a bus into the city.

But as you say, Balmain isn't near any beaches. I think you sort of have to choose between a beach suburb or a non beach suburb with a decent vibe and interesting stuff going on. Whilst there are beach suburbs with shops and great cafés etc, you don't really get the interesting places to drink or the same sort of cultural happenings as you do in non beach suburbs such as Balmain, Glebe, Erskineville etc.

Balmain is a great place to live; lots of atmosphere, shops, places to eat and drink, Dawn Fraser pool, a couple of gyms, parks with harbour views, interesting homes, and you can get the ferry to Circular Quay. Parts of Rozelle are easy walking distance from Balmain and Victoria Road, where you can easily get a bus into the city.

But as you say, Balmain isn't near any beaches. I think you sort of have to choose between a beach suburb or a non beach suburb with a decent vibe and interesting stuff going on. Whilst there are beach suburbs with shops and great cafés etc, you don't really get the interesting places to drink or the same sort of cultural happenings as you do in non beach suburbs such as Balmain, Glebe, Erskineville etc.

whats the equivalent of balmain by the beach? lots of atmosphere, shops, food and drink, gyms etc

whats the equivalent of balmain by the beach? lots of atmosphere, shops, food and drink, gyms etc

There isn't really, that's what I mean by having to choose.

Manly, Bondi and Coogee are built up areas with beaches, so they have the infrastructure you're looking for, but the pubs there tend to be bigger sports bar type places rather than the more interesting, atmospheric drinking spots that you find in Balmain.

Unless living walking distance from a beach is your main priority, Surry Hills (which is a 'city fringe' suburb so it's close to the CBD) could be a good fit for you, since it has the infrastructure and atmosphere, and it isn't far by car (and maybe bus?) to a few beaches.

I think you'll need to visit the suburbs on your short list in order to decide which one suits you the most. Which will be quite a fun thing to do :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi - I am looking to move to Sydney in the next few weeks. I need some advice of what areas I should look at ?

Im a 40-something, single, male, professional. I want an area that I can go out at night into bars etc but also want to make the most of the weather/lifestyle so somewhere near a beach would be good? I have been looking at Balmain but wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Balmain is hipster heaven, very trendy with lots of schmick restaurants but also a lively pub scene. However if you want to be near the beach, it's not a great pick. Look at the Eastern Suburbs for ease of access to beaches - Surry Hills if you don't mind grungy inner city because it has plenty of pubs/restaurants, or head for the beach suburbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi from Sydney :)

I've been viewing a few properties since I arrived, and was struck by how low some of the planes from Sydney airport are coming over.

In Leichhardt they were really low, and very noisy. So much that I've decided not to bother looking there. I've heard some work colleagues talking about getting subsidies for sound-proofing so I guess this is a major issue in some places.

Anyway I just stumbled across this map which shows the various flightpaths... I can't vouch for its accuracy, but it certainly seems to fit with what I saw in Leichhardt.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zKMXRFKrFd7g.kkbkkbIDE2Lo

I heard that too, but nevertheless having a 777 screaming overhead while you're chilling in your yard on a Saturday morning doesn't really appeal.

I saw 3-4 big planes taking off, very low, just in the hour I was in Leichhardt.

Edited by mungbean

Only been here since Thursday... not seen much outside of Balmain, Leichhardt, Lilyfield and a bit of Glebe. Caught the ferry to Circular Quay last night to have dinner with my new boss -- 10 mins from Balmain, compared to 25 on the bus, pretty good!

Moving to another Airbnb place in a couple of days in St Peters, so will check out Newtown as well which people have told me is nice.

Was kind of hoping for a quiet neighbourhood with nice views, but I'll have to keep weighing that up I think. Everyone's telling me this is a bad time to be arriving, with students all looking for housing as well.

Leichhardt is a bit of a trek from the coast.

St Peter's itself is sort of a bit of a non entity, apart from Sydney Park it's just a nasty road at the end of Newtown.

We're on the Erskineville / Newtown / Alexandria border. These areas are not exactly quiet with nice views!

Lilyfield is quite quiet with harbour views from Leichhardt Park (which is in Lilyfield, not Leichhardt!) - Leichhardt park is great, has a pool as well.

Other quiet with views places I can think of are Cremorne ($) or even Middle Harbour areas such as Castle Cove (actually not a bad commute to the city by car). Depends how quiet you want it.

Enjoy!

It's all relative isn't it? :)

I'm loving Balmain just now but real estate seems incredibly competitive here and prices are silly.

Only staying in St Peter's temporarily via Airbnb while I view rental places... which is an experience in itself. 20 people queueing outside a tiny house on Sat morning that could only really fit a dozen inside maximum! Doubtless many of you have been there already.

It was the OP who was asking about beaches (sorry I've hijacked your thread a bit!)... personally I would be very happy with a harbour view but nowhere near the beach.

Loving the cafés and restaurants though... great coffee everywhere it seems. After managing to reduce to 1 cup a day, I can see myself becoming a caffeine fiend again quite easily here if I'm not careful!

Was kind of hoping for a quiet neighbourhood with nice views, but I'll have to keep weighing that up I think. Everyone's telling me this is a bad time to be arriving, with students all looking for housing as well.

Everyone in Sydney wants a harbour view, it's enough to double the rent. Take a look at Five Dock (which is on a bay) and Concord - Breakfast Point, Cabarita. A bit further to commute but I found the bus from Five Dock a comfortable ride (never crowded) - and the ferry ride to the city from Breakfast Point is a nice way to get to work.

Those areas are definitely quieter than the Inner West suburbs but they still have a nice vibe. There's a lack of pubs, but the whole of Concord's main street is one long restaurant strip and there's a good pub at Breakfast Point.

Edited by Marisawright

• 2 weeks later...

Well, well... the first application I put in has been accepted, and I will be staying in a little cottage in Rozelle from 28 March.

A few mins walk from Darling St and all the cafés and restaurants, and hopefully a fairly flat 25-min cycle ride to work along the edge of the bay.

More than anything, I think I'm relieved that I won't have to give up any more Saturdays and lunchtimes charging about the place on the bus, hoping to arrive in time to traipse around a property with 12 other people! There is some real crap out there for totally unrealistic prices.

In the meantime, another 4 weeks on Airbnb by the look of it. Off to Bondi Beach for 4 days tomorrow... after that, who knows?

Thanks everyone for all the sterling advice, as always!