Cats and snakes!

MARYROSE02

Can cost a bloody fortune too if your cat has an encounter with a snake. We had one that did, took him straight to the vets and cost us around $1000 for the treatment (only for that cat to not survive an encounter with a car later in the year) and another who we are pretty sure was also bitten (he ended up temporarily paralysed), but we kept him in one room, fed him by hand and used a pipette to keep him hydrated, then slowly he recovered over about four days.

Dogs have a lot less chance of surviving a snake bite than cats as they are harder to keep immobilized.

Why didn't you take the 2nd cat to the vet Diane,

Surely a cat is a member of the family and priceless isn't it ?

Oh we did, they checked him over and took blood tests but couldn't find any evidence of a bite at the time, so they sent us home to wait three days for the test results. In the meantime though he slowly got more and more paralysed (so it actually wasn't that hard to keep him immobilised!) He's fine now by the way!

With the other one by the way, we took both the cat and the snake that bit him into the vet - they couldn't do anything for the snake though unfortunately as his head had got slightly cut off....

Oh we did, they checked him over and took blood tests but couldn't find any evidence of a bite at the time, so they sent us home to wait three days for the test results. In the meantime though he slowly got more and more paralysed (so it actually wasn't that hard to keep him immobilised!) He's fine now by the way!

With the other one by the way, we took both the cat and the snake that bit him into the vet - they couldn't do anything for the snake though unfortunately as his head had got slightly cut off....

I suppose it is a bit funny how we bitch and moan at the prospect of paying $5 to see the doctor for ourselves, yet will willingly fork out $1000 for the cat's vet bills.

I paid over $800 once for my cat but you have to do it don't you.

I watched the film. I'll try not to over feed her. Over got a feeling she was fast at one time but too much food and not enough exercise. I like going for walks so exercise won't be a problem. I might have to think about pet insurance. I'm hoping my friend Alex will help look after her.

'

Another thing to watch out for - which I'm sure you probably know already but might not if not a regular dog-walker - is that on hot days, the pavements can be pretty harsh on a mutt's paws! I was going to say it might not be such an issue in Sydney as it is here in Adelaide, but the last time we were in Sydney over Christmas time the temps hit about 43 so you never know....

Check if your brother already has pet insurance - or you could just take him to the Vet from Bondi Vet... if your friend Alex is female, I'm sure she'd be happy to do that for you if necessary!

I brought her back to my place tonight but not sure if it is working. She is very restless and if I move she gets up. When I tried going outside she whined. Worst of all, when I made something to eat, she stared at me! I'll see tomorrow. It was my brother's idea not mine. She has already weeed on my carpet!

'

Another thing to watch out for - which I'm sure you probably know already but might not if not a regular dog-walker - is that on hot days, the pavements can be pretty harsh on a mutt's paws! I was going to say it might not be such an issue in Sydney as it is here in Adelaide, but the last time we were in Sydney over Christmas time the temps hit about 43 so you never know....

Check if your brother already has pet insurance - or you could just take him to the Vet from Bondi Vet... if your friend Alex is female, I'm sure she'd be happy to do that for you if necessary!

Funny you said that because I said a while ago I was going to borrow someone's pet to take it to bondi vet :laugh:

I brought her back to my place tonight but not sure if it is working. She is very restless and if I move she gets up. When I tried going outside she whined. Worst of all, when I made something to eat, she stared at me! I'll see tomorrow. It was my brother's idea not mine. She has already weeed on my carpet!

She's probably just a bit confused. Hopefully she'll settle soon and won't wee on your carpet again!

don't let her trick you into giving her extra food. if she had just had dinner but is still giving you sad eyes, ignore her! Or just chat to her and switch the TV on. A lot of dogs find the TV or radio in the background, reassuring [or at least that's what my Mum told me when she used to leave Radio Oxford on for her dog!].

Just let her out for regular tinkles and no. 2s and make sure there's plenty of fresh water available. She's only a little dog so shouldn't be *too* much trouble.

Edited by vickyplum

Our personal experience was that the best way to stop a dog doing something 'bad' (like snapping at someone, constant barking etc) was a quick squirt with some water. Get a spray bottle and keep it to hand. With ours (although she's an old dog now) all we have to do now is say..."I'll squirt you...." and she stops doing whatever it is we don't want her to! Daft really as she loves the water when it comes to jumping in the river for a swim...

Oh and I think you need to change your brother's dog's name! Poor thing, imagine being lumbered with "Tinkie" - what is she, a teletubby?? Give her something a little more dignified!!

Edited by Diane

I think it was my niece who christened her "Tinkerbell!" the other one is "Daisy'.

My sister in law suggested I get Alex to feed her which she did, then we went for walk and Alex held lead. She amazed me by picking her up for a photo!

When Tinkie did poo, I've said to Alex "the one who holds the lead picks up the poo!" (I did it.)

It will be great if Tinkie settles and also if Alex can look after her.

Next test is to leave her on her own if I go out.