Work as a family and child health nurse

Aims

Hi,

I am hoping to come out there for 6-12 months to work as a health visitor (family and child health nurse in aus).

I was just looking for any advice regarding good areas to look for work and to live in, how to go about finding a furnished flat/house and things like that.

I have a 2 year old daughter and would be coming out alone so any help received would be great!

Thank you

Aims

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you.

I've signed up to updates for jobs and it would seem that there are plenty out there so I guess its looking at homes to rent and where to live.

Such a big place that its hard to know where to start, near a beach I guess is the first stop!

I was planning on getting my job/registration and visa all arranged before I come out, so it would be 6-12 months (probably 12) once out there that I would come for.

The reason its so short is, i'm a single mummy and my daughters dad wouldn't allow me to come out for any longer than that and I worry that I am being selfish as our extended family would miss her.

I see there are lots of jobs advertised at the moment, its just knowing when to apply and what areas etc.

Hi Aims, it has been my experience that employers will not consider your application until you have AHPRA registration. There is competition for child & family health nurse jobs & you may well have to consider moving to a rural area for work. Some states also want you to have a midwifery qualification (sorry can't remember offhand which ones).

Hi,

Yes sorry I meant that I would do IELTS and then become registered and look for a job. I understand that it is only in Victoria that you need to be a registered midwife.

Its useful to know that there is competition for the jobs, I was thinking because there seem to be a few posted every day for NSW that there wasn't too much competition, although I know being from the UK I will be bottom of the list anyway.

Thank you

Hi All,

I am a General Nurse but I found that AHPRA aren't all that bad, 6 months is a perhaps pessimist timeframe. If you are applying they run from May to end of April so we all have to pay the same amount for even part of the year. It isn't all that expensive though and you can claim it back from your tax return for that year after July along with any training expenses and laundry, shoes purchased etc. The local health care providers (NSW Health) are really slow at getting back to you. I was told that I didn't get the job 3.5 weeks after the interview and only after I phoned them daily. My other half had a similar experience. She started her job 5 months after applying. Perhaps some of the job fairs or agencies may be able to provide something a bit more concrete for you. It is not easy doing everything and it is expensive so if you are going through all of this for 6 months I'd say it's not worth the expense to be completely honest. I'd say a 2 year trip would be more worth the outlay. Also your employer would perhaps be willing to allow you a 2 year leave of absence but I know that is very unlikely to be an option for you.

Most houses and units here are rented unfurnished. Gumtree or a house swapping /house sitting site may be an option for you.

The very best of luck to you!

S x