What is the Newcastle area like to live??

Mybabiesmumma

Hi

Thinking of moving to NSW from Queensland. I've always really like the idea of Newcastle and the surrounding areas but what is it really like to live there? We have young kids, 1 in prep, 1 about to start prep and a 1 year old so we really want an area where there are good schools and and lots to keep the kids entertained. How is work around the area for tradies? Are there any areas to particularly avoid in terms of safety/crime?

TIA :)

Hi we have just moved here from the UK. Picked Newcastle from advise and the internet! It appeared to offer the lifestyle we wanted.

Only been here 3 weeks, but enjoying. Not sure about crime and places to avoid yet, but we have gone for Cameron park away from the centre and found a good school at fletcher called Bishop Tyrrell.

Not found work yet, but not been concentrating on it, now kids in school can focus a bit better!

My kids are 11 and 8, both boys.

Darn sight better than anything Qld has to offer imho

Seriously???

I have been to Newcastle a couple of times and it is a bit rough round the edges but an ok enough town, but to call it better than the whole of QLD is laughable

Guest krackajak
Seriously???

I have been to Newcastle a couple of times and it is a bit rough round the edges but an ok enough town, but to call it better than the whole of QLD is laughable

Then you need to get out more!. Not been in Oz long I take it?

Then you need to get out more!. Not been in Oz long I take it?

Well sounds like you haven't been out of Newcastle. Humour me, what you like so much more in Newcastle that can't be found in QLD?

I can think of multiple places in NSW I would rather be too

Newcastle and Lake Macquarie are very nice. Beaches and Lake close proximity, Hunter valley and vineyards nearby. Plenty of good suburbs/areas to choose from. Floraville, Eleebana, Warners Bay, Cameron Park, Fletcher to name a few. There are pockets of rough areas in Newcastle but everywhere else more than compensates. Personally I think its a great place to live and there are heaps for children from various sporting activities to the usual indoor & outdoor activities which a great all year round climate can provide. I don't subscribe to this my town is better than yours jibing as peoples experiences and opinion are subjective, but like many places across Oz I reckon you will enjoy this part of the world and all it has to offer (and of course Sydney is only 2 hours down the road - great for a day trip or weekend).

• 3 weeks later...

Newcastle / Lake Mac is a great area to live.

Miles of beautiful beaches, dolphin watching at Port Stephen, hunter valley wineries on your doorstep, easy drive to Sydney for the big city fix.

The climate is great too (although spring is taking it's time this year!)

There are plenty of great suburbs in Newcastle: Merewether (expensive) parts of Hamilton, Adamstown, New Lambton.

In Lake Mac: Valentine, Eleebana, Warner's Bay, Dudley, parts of Belmont North.

Newcastle centre looks a bit run down in places, so visitors may be put off by that. There is talk of regeneration but I don't know when that might happen. There are new bars etc popping up all the time.

It's a coastal city that is surrounded on three sides by beaches.

its one of the only places in Australia to have made it into Lonely Planet's top 10 cities.

For more specific info look for Newcastle & Hunter expats on Facebook.

Edited by Kapri

Seriously???

For me, the big plus would be a much less humid climate than anywhere in QLD, which would mean I could enjoy Newcastle's great beaches and inland bush walks more. I used to visit my friends on the Gold Coast frequently, and found I spent too much time in the air conditioning because the humidity was just too suffocating for me.

That's just me, not everyone is bothered by extreme heat and humidity.

I know several people who live in Newcastle and are very, very happy there.

• 3 months later...

We have lived near Newcastle for 3 and a half years now. We are in Belmont right on the lake and also just 5 mins from the beach at Blacksmiths . I think south of the city is nicest around the East side of Lake Macquarie you wont go far wrong ( don't pick Windale/ Mount Hutton though, high crime rate) . Plenty of good spots for picnics here , not far from Charlestown for shopping, easy commute by road to town. Also only an hour and a half to Sydney. Quick drive to Central coast which is gorgeous in some places, and the same for Nelson Bay just above Newcastle fabulous beaches and pretty harbour. Caves Beach is also nice. Warners Bay , Elebana and Belmont North. Best to try and rent in one of these for 6 months and get a feel for the place before you pick a permanent suburb.

• 6 months later...

We are moving to newcastle from adelaide in December. We are looking at state high schools either Lambton High or Kotara High. Have you heard much about them? We would have to rent in the school zones to get our son in , he will be year 10. Any info would be useful, thankyu

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bobajob
We are moving to newcastle from adelaide in December. We are looking at state high schools either Lambton High or Kotara High. Have you heard much about them? We would have to rent in the school zones to get our son in , he will be year 10. Any info would be useful, thankyu

Newcastle is much more interesting than Adelaide and better beaches etc. Can't help with schools though