How do you cope with Christmas ?

Guest christi

Its nearly that time of year again, the overpriced biscuits and sweets are starting to appear in the supermarket.

For those of us, returning home, in the near future its a hard time of year. Being away from everything I used to love about Christmas in the UK. Dark nights, fairy lights, The Round Table santa coming around the streets.Great pressies in the shops and fantastic Boxing Day sales. The food,Turkey & Ham that hasent been smoked to death,Prawns that dont require a second mortgage to buy

But mainly its the loneliness, we probably bring it on ourselves, because we just want to shut the door and hide away, and forget its Christmas.

How does everyone cope, with missing a UK Christmas????

Im just glad its the last one for us:confused:Well I hope it is

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest36187

I miss the cold UK christmases. Hot christmases will never work for me! As a nurse though I am usually working them!

MInd you, this year I am off and will be swimming in Mums pool on Chrissy Day for the first time! Might make hot Christmases more bearable!! Lol!

Guest guest37336
Its nearly that time of year again, the overpriced biscuits and sweets are starting to appear in the supermarket.

For those of us, returning home, in the near future its a hard time of year. Being away from everything I used to love about Christmas in the UK. Dark nights, fairy lights, The Round Table santa coming around the streets.Great pressies in the shops and fantastic Boxing Day sales. The food,Turkey & Ham that hasent been smoked to death,Prawns that dont require a second mortgage to buy

But mainly its the loneliness, we probably bring it on ourselves, because we just want to shut the door and hide away, and forget its Christmas.

Hi Chrsti.

I have to admit that whilst I love Australia with a passion I would willingly swap that one day a year. I would move heaven and hell to have a cold frosty/snowy scene, carols on the TV, etc, etc.

But the funny thing is when I am in the UK at Xmas I am the first to bitch and whinge about the weather, incessant carols etc, :biglaugh::biglaugh:.

I tried to bury my head in the sand for a long time concerning Christmas in Australia, which made me even more miserable, so what I do now is turn the air con up to FREEZE, cook a massive Turkey with all the trimmings and blast Slade out on the old CD player.

After this I/we disappear down the beach with some friends and have another Christmas day, best of both worlds, not perfect, but makes me happy anyway.

No secret to it really Christi, just try and embrace a little of what Christmas really means and remember its only one day out of a whole year, but I do symapathise with your situation.:wubclub:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

I miss the cold UK christmases. Hot christmases will never work for me! As a nurse though I am usually working them!

MInd you, this year I am off and will be swimming in Mums pool on Chrissy Day for the first time! Might make hot Christmases more bearable!! Lol!

Hi Joanne

Yes I miss a cold christmas. A hot one seems a bit odd to me as well.Its typical that the last 2 Christmas's have been "white ones" at home. I cant remember when we last saw a white one, but I hope they save lots of snow for me, when I get home. Im going to be the biggest kid in the street LOL

A swim on a hot day, sounds very good, and at least you have your Mum, must make a big difference xx

I put up a tree on the 1st and fairy lights all outside (I have always hated artificial trees but needs must!) Then nearer Christmas we all trek out and pick the real tree. We have always had a quiet family christmas with just the 4 of us but Boxing day was our day with a houseful and I was dreading this more than christmas day, so, we decided we'd have a party on boxing day and invite all our new friends, we had a ball with a houseful of kids and adults, almost 30 in all. We had a wonderful time. Christmas day was different, of course, we just set up 2 laptops in the lounge and family skyped and watched the kids open their presents something they didn't even get to do in the UK.

Same as Tony, I crank up the "now thats what I call christmas cd" and sing along, they don't play christmas songs on the radio though, I don't remember hearing one so the cd went with me everytime I left the house, lol

We had santa only this time he wasn't on his sleigh he was on the CFA fire engine!

We had a lovely time, yes of course you miss family and all that pomp and build up but we just made the most of it. This year will be different again as we have 7 family members out for Christmas but we will hold another party and celebrate with friends.

Is it too early to say Merry, yes it is!

Michelle

Guest guest36187

MAssive difference having Mum and Dad here. I can call them without having to work out a time difference!! lol!

Mum always says it was a white Chrissy the year I was born! Im a chrissy day baby!

Hi Chrsti.

I have to admit that whilst I love Australia with a passion I would willingly swap that one day a year. I would move heaven and hell to have a cold frosty/snowy scene, carols on the TV, etc, etc.

But the funny thing is when I am in the UK at Xmas I am the first to bitch and whinge about the weather, incessant carols etc, :biglaugh::biglaugh:.

I tried to bury my head in the sand for a long time concerning Christmas in Australia, which made me even more miserable, so what I do now is turn the air con up to FREEZE, cook a massive Turkey with all the trimmings and blast Slade out on the old CD player.

After this I/we disappear down the beach with some friends and have another Christmas day, best of both worlds, not perfect, but makes me happy anyway.

No secret to it really Christi, just try and embrace a little of what Christmas really means and remember its only one day out of a whole year, but I do symapathise with your situation.:wubclub:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Hi Tony

Sounds like you have got the hang of it.Its a very sad time of year for lots of ex-pats worldwide, I should imagine. I have a good friend in NZ, who left the UK the same time as us and she is so miserable, and is going home.She has a huge family back in the UK and she misses them so much, but she said Christmas is the worst day of the year for her as well

Its going to interesting to see how everyone deals with Christmas,should get lots of ideas

Thanks for your kind words x

MAssive difference having Mum and Dad here. I can call them without having to work out a time difference!! lol!

Mum always says it was a white Chrissy the year I was born! Im a chrissy day baby!

You mean your poor Mum had to miss her Christmas dinner?????:biggrin:

lol! SHe sure did! She tells me she told Santa where he could shove the pop up doll present he wanted to leave me!!!!!!! lol

I hope you get double pressies!!!!!! :biggrin:

Personally for me I hate Christmas in Australia. This year will be my 3rd Christmas and already I am dreading it.

I was the type of person before that would have her tree up the first weekend in December, the house would be decorated top to toe. Living in Canada, could almost gurantee a white christmas. I had my rituals, used to watch White Christmas xmas eve, loved hearing the christmas songs on the radio in the weeks leading up to christmas. Sitting in my living room on christmas eve, with the log fire going, and a drink in hand.

Here I do nothing, no christmas tree, no decorations. We only are the 4 of us here, tried to do a christmas dinner last year, but it was so hot, and our air con wasn't working, so didn't quite turn out. Got really depressed last xmas eve, as there was no chrissy songs on the radio, didn't even feel like xmas eve, went to church to get some chrissy music.

With OH out of work now, if he doesn't get a job before xmas, there won't even be any gifts in our household this year. Luckily my girls are older (almost 17) so they understand.

So as it stands now.. am not looking forward to Christmas again....maybe one of these years, we can fly back to Canada and have a proper christmas, with the family, snow, and atmosphere. It is the only drawback I have with Australia.

Cheers

Karen

Christmas in Oz is just like any other day, I go through the motions for the kids sake put the tree up, buy the few shoddy bits of xmas treats from safeway, but my heart is just not in it, no atmosphere, the only plus side is I dont spend as much money as I did in the Uk, in the UK I was shopping for weeks, loved it, here spend one day getting the kids pressies, and 1 day for food shop.

Guest Guest31881

My kids are all grown up and live in the UK, I think once they leave home Christmas is never the same. Last year was my first Christmas in Australia, My wife invited her brothers over for Christmas day and we had a turkey buffet. I did not miss the UK version of Christmas and being able to sit outside with a glass of wine on Christmas day was very nice. For years I had to work on Christmas day and so it probably does not hold the "magic" for me that others seem to feel for Christmas, it was always one of those holidays that were for the kids, now I do not have young kids; Christmas has lost any appeal it held for me. The big difference here in Australia is that I have a day off work for it, instead of working. :santadance:

Guest wendy and neil

I am not being horrible or trying to make people feel more miserable but I think

Christmas is what you make it!! I love christmas whether i am ere in Oz or in Uk!!!! My christmas revolves round my kids and i do agree its not the same but if we came ere for it to be exactly the same why come???? lol. We could do a alfie and kat (eastenders) and make it a white christmas with artificial snow :-) I do miss my family so much amd i agree with all the posts to a point but I know if I didnt like living ere I wud go home!

It cud be worse you cud be ere on a student visa like us and be really skint :-)

Hope everyone has a lovely Christmas!!

wendy

:wubclub:

I love Christmas wherever it is, but it is rather strange Christmas Shopping in summer gear, rather than hat, gloves and scarves. My hubby would happily transport himself to a colder climate for one day, but the other day when I suggested doing something different on Christmas day ... he said "ah but we usually do such a thing....

My favourite day is acutally Christmas Eve, Christmas day after the kids have opened their gifts has always been a bit of an anti climax for me. We've started setting a few new family traditions ... we have brunch outside, we go in the pool in the afternoon and at my daughters insistance we have a 'roast' dinner rather than BBQ in the evening.

christmas is what you make it.. my first christmas here hit me hard.. in the shopping center in shorts and t-shirts looking at christmas stuff, Dusk had all there Christmas sented candles andit just didnt gel..Christmas should be cold, snuggly, dark...

so after talking about it to my friend who was also having her first christmas, we decided that we have to start new traditions.... we missed having a big family christmas so we get together with our new friends .. we decorate our house, Christmas Day open prezzies.. go to friends house...eat traditional dinner...swim in pool....chill out and have a drink..bliss xx later on skype the family back in UK.

Deb xx

Guest The Pom Queen

I will be honest I love Australia, but, like Tony, would love to spend Christmas back in the UK. I can never get use to it being light at night or the heat. I just can't get in to the Christmas spirit the same. We have never been home sick in the 7 years we have been here but our first Christmas was very hard, not being able to see family.

We are going to be in UK for the first time in 8 years this year. Yes I'm looking forward to it, mainly because our 2 grandchildren will be 3 and 1 at christmas, so it should be good fun.

However, it really doesn't matter to me if it's here or there. Have been away from UK for 18 years, many of them as an expat in 35' heat and almost 100% humidity in Asia. We have always made sure it was enjoyable, and always took in waifs and strays, and continue to do the same here.

Life and christmas is what you make it, and don't forget that many Australians think a cold christmas is strange!!!!! even though they celebrate it in July as well, when it's cooler.

If we have a traditional turkey etc. then I crank up the air con, which I didn't have in Asia but I coped. Last year had the sea food etc. and really enjoyed the change. Apart from the rare white christmas in UK, it's often cold and wet, whereas here we all sit around the pool relaxing after all the festivities, sipping a glass or 2!!!

We probably all miss family at christmas, thank goodness for skype. When I lived in Africa, it didn't exist, but we still coped, but I wouldn't be without it now.

Will let you know how I feel after a rare UK christmas, hope there won't be too many family tensions! as I'm not used to them any more.

Guest Guest26012

I sympathise with your post! It must be hard being here when its not where you want to be? Its our 3rd christmas here. I have to say the 1st one was very strange! Hot weather at christmas? Whats all that about? However, we love oz and have adapted to what the ozzies do at christmas! We go to the beach on xmas morning, spend xmas day with friends, eating, drinking, swimming! Love it! The choccies and biccies and turkeys etc maybe a bit more expensive here? Although, i havent found that? But it is oz and its what we expected! Not being argumentative but you can keep your cold xmas in the uk because we knew when we came that it wouldnt be the same! Prawns, well, i buy lovely fresh prawns that really dont cost an arm and a leg! I realise your post is for people missing a uk xmas but people coming here will read this and they need to know others opinions! Good luck and i hope your uk xmas, when you get there, is all you remembered it to be! :biggrin:

Can i ask why your last one, i mean obv your leaving but why??

Guest christi
Can i ask why your last one, i mean obv your leaving but why??

Hi Pez

Yeah, we are heading home to the UK. Oz is not for us, we miss home far too much

x

Archived