Considering giving it up?

Guest OzScouser

Guest OzScouser

Hi All,

Me and the missus are really considering giving up the Oz way of life. I've been here for 3.5 years. I like the place, but really miss home. What concerns me is I have a great job here, well paid, great benefits, etc...and have just bought a place off plan! Due for completion in December. I will also qualify for citizenship in Jan! Really not sure what to do as it is obvious the missus is massively homesick.

I really don't want to go back to England, so wouldn't mind somewhere a bit closer to home. Anyone got any suggestions for in and around Europe where it is an easy going way of life, has a reasonable IT market? Or should we just go home!

Cheers

We are from Wallasey been here 22 years this December, in Melbourne for all of that time. It is really hard when you miss home. I missed it for the first 2 years and now for the last 2 years, in between was fine. What do you miss the most? You are lucky to have English friends around which should help, but i know there is nothing like home. I was over there last Aug and when i look across to the Liverbirds i always end up in tears, its home and nothing can change that.

I would however try to get your citizenship, its not too much longer and then no matter what, you have it for life. Do you have any family here at all? But if its not just family thats making you homesick , have you thought of a holiday to see how you feel?

Joy

I feel for you guys. From what you wrote, the smart move might be to wait out the last few months, get citizenship and then think about doing a few years back around the EU. After that, you could make an informed choice about where to live and be free to move back to Australia if you wanted to?

I hate using cliches, but hope for the best whilst planning for the worst. That way if you keep your options open, you'll maybe have fewer regrets in the long-run.

Really hope it works out for you.

Cheers,

//Mach

PS Scandinavia is quite relaxed and you can a good IT position despite not being super good at the local languages. The weather is terrible though.

Guest OzScouser

Joy,

We are going back soon for a three week holiday. We are also heading back around xmas time for a similar holiday.

I think I will see it out and get my passport sorted. I have my ups and downs, no doubt tomorrow I will want to stay! It's more of a family thing for me. I miss them quite a bit, also my friends. I have them here, but it's not the same. We are at the age were we are considering a family, etc and I can't see us doing that without the family being around? I love Oz, weather, etc....just find it hard sometimes. I am worried about a job if I was to head home, also the place I have just bought I have to live in for six months before I can consider selling it. I guess we will just have to weigh up all our options over the next six months or so.

Cheers

See how you feel after the holiday, but i am guessing if you are like me you will want to stay there.

Try to remember home is always there, even if its hard try to get through so you have your citizenship. I understand about the job, the Echo is not like the papers over here with job ads, but if you really want work you will find it. I think you will also be much more confident than before you made this big move to OZ. The experience alone is priceless.

In regards to having kids, we have a 11 year old daughter, who tells us she is a aussie and not English, which of course is true. If i had thought about it back then i would not have had her born here, as its a divide i would rather not have. I am so aware of taking away oportunities from her if we do ever go back, and of course the things that make me feel like "wow i'm home" are all foreign to her, very difficult! So you need to work out what is the most important to you, that is what i am trying to do now! Also, i keep telling myself there are very successful people in the Merseyside area also, its not all doom and gloom! So if you do decide to go back you have not failed in anyway.

The decision also does not have to be made in a hurry, take your time so you feel right about it.

Good Luck

Hi All,

Me and the missus are really considering giving up the Oz way of life. I've been here for 3.5 years. I like the place, but really miss home. What concerns me is I have a great job here, well paid, great benefits, etc...and have just bought a place off plan! Due for completion in December. I will also qualify for citizenship in Jan! Really not sure what to do as it is obvious the missus is massively homesick.

I really don't want to go back to England, so wouldn't mind somewhere a bit closer to home. Anyone got any suggestions for in and around Europe where it is an easy going way of life, has a reasonable IT market? Or should we just go home!

Cheers

GET YOUR CITIZENSHIP FIRST, you will close the door on yourselves and any future generations .....ENGLAND WILL STILL BE HERE

I would move to somewhere else in the u.k .....probably Devon .....but thats me .

If i had the balls or inclination to move again ,outside of the uk it would be France ....deffo

Guest lifeinmono
Hi All,

Cheers

Definitely try to stick it out for citizenship!

Hi All,

Cheers

Hi

We have been here for a year and are also from Crosby. I am homesick and would like to return at some point. My husband is also in IT and would want to go only when he knew the IT job market was OK again, still seems to be a bit slow in the UK at the moment.

If I was as close as you are to citizenship I would hold out, it is good to have it. I know what you mean about being close to family when you start your own. I have two really young children and it is hard being out here without the network of support.

(If you do return to Liverpool , please let us know what the job market is like! )

Good luck

We too are scousers from Halewood/Netherley.I am missing home so much it hurts.The vibrancy of the UK,the summer Birdsong,Footie,Green Landscape,Pubs and a thousand other things.We have been here 21 months,but are going back for a 5 week visit on Tuesday 22 June,can't wait till next week to see how i feel about it all.It is good here for us at the moment,and we are thankful to Australia for this.We still have our house in Liverpool(rented out)and to be honest,it was good there as well,we came here for our teenagers futures,as it is defo better here in OZ for them in that respect,6 months there and 6 months here would do me if i win El Lotto!!!!Best of Luck whatever you decide.:wink:

I can totally relate to your predicament OzScouser. I had a wee holiday back home to see how I felt (been homesick living in Oz for 12 years) and it was just incredible the feeling of being home and belonging. We are going back, for good, in about 6 months time (my hubby is in IT too). I think it would be very wise to wait until you get your citizenship though. And, then... go for it....go home and feel better! Life's too short.

I've not read all the replies so this may add nothing but after 3.5 years I'd say, wait until you have yr citizenship, your house will be built by then that would also make things easier.

As for where to head Malta is a good option for IT, it's been labelled Europes Sillicon Valley and the weather is good, if we'd not got visas I would have looked there. Holland and Belgium are also pretty good for IT work.

Have you thought about somewhere else in Australia though? You can leave Perth on a morning flight and be in the UK by 6pm admittedly shell shocked and jet lagged. If you are homesick then will Europe be any better, if it's a case of not liking Sydney then there are many other places.

Good luck

Jules

Guest gail.crease

Like everyone said, get citizenship first.

My hubby is in IT. We used to live in Switzerland which is a good option because you don't need to speak another language.

Interesting about Malta. My hubby is Maltese decent and spent every childhood summer there. If he'd known that there were job opportunities he may have wanted to move there instead.

Guest itskaren
GET YOUR CITIZENSHIP FIRST, you will close the door on yourselves and any future generations .....ENGLAND WILL STILL BE HERE

I would move to somewhere else in the u.k .....probably Devon .....but thats me .

If i had the balls or inclination to move again ,outside of the uk it would be France ....deffo

Trouble with France there are too many French people!:biggrin:

Guest nahenel101

Hi I am from Bootle originally and then Crosby. I have been here for 3 years after meeting an aussie. I have terrible bouts of homesickness and have been home every year, last time for xmas. Every year I have missed a little bit less but I do still miss it. It got so bad last year that my husband said ok, we'll go if you are so unhappy. Funny thing was, as soon as it was looking like it could happen, I started to appreciate this place more. I think I just needed to know that it was possible if that makes sense. Women eh.I think this time of year is the worst, world cup, sitting outside the merton lol. Its not always like that though is it. Does your other half have any guilt from family members? That can make you feel homesick. I noticed on my last visit that my sister was not sad about me going so much and there was just a kind of acceptance. This helped me to. Tell her to pm me if she wants a chat.

Hope it all works out,

les

See how you feel after the holiday, but i am guessing if you are like me you will want to stay there.

Try to remember home is always there, even if its hard try to get through so you have your citizenship. I understand about the job, the Echo is not like the papers over here with job ads, but if you really want work you will find it. I think you will also be much more confident than before you made this big move to OZ. The experience alone is priceless.

In regards to having kids, we have a 11 year old daughter, who tells us she is a aussie and not English, which of course is true. If i had thought about it back then i would not have had her born here, as its a divide i would rather not have. I am so aware of taking away oportunities from her if we do ever go back, and of course the things that make me feel like "wow i'm home" are all foreign to her, very difficult! So you need to work out what is the most important to you, that is what i am trying to do now! Also, i keep telling myself there are very successful people in the Merseyside area also, its not all doom and gloom! So if you do decide to go back you have not failed in anyway.

The decision also does not have to be made in a hurry, take your time so you feel right about it.

Good Luck

I work in Liverpool a lot - Orrell Park , yeah and even Toxteth and Kensington .

I like Liverpool a lot ......theres a lot of crap spoken about it ,by people who have never been there .

The city is very defined ....and the place has got "soul and spirit".....likes its people.

I did a job in Everton the other week ,and the old boy was a proper " blue".

He proceeded to sit me down over a cup of tea ,and give me the history of the 2 football clubs , whilst keeping an eye on the pitbull terrier outside......he was bloody funny as well .

Like i have said on this board many times ......i travel all over this country,and most people havent got a lot ......no quarter acre block and no big shed.:biglaugh:

But most of them are genuinely interesting ,and very open.

I have been working in Telford today ......unlimited tea ......breakfast .....and lunch ....neighbours popping round for a chat ......bloody great

Hi,

I know it must be awful to feel homesick and I feel for you. I can't understand what it must be like as the longest I have been out of the country is 6 months (as an adult did 3 years in Germany as a child but that doesn't really count) I am a Mum to 3 and I just wanted to give you the flip side if the coin. I can't comment on the other issues but I know what it is like to start a family. My family are close ish. I am very close to my Mum she also lives about a 20 minute drive from me, my sister we are ok but lead totally different lives and she is often travelling so I rarely see her and my Dad lives in Wiltshire (to my Cornwall) not far but far enough not to see all that often. WHilst I have a good relationship with all my family I get barely any support. I moved back to Cornwall when I had my eldest (from London) to have them nearby. Don't get me wrong they both dote on my children and given the opportunity my Dad would have them more often but in reality my Mum has a 6 year old boy who she is always busy with, she works and as a result I have seen her about 4 times this year for no more than an afternoon!! My Dad I see for a snatched afternoon when he is down for the weekend as he runs around trying to catch up with everyone else. We do visit once a year or so and then we stay for about a week. My sister has never once offered to have the children, she at a push sat with them over night whilst I went into hospital to have my youngest. My in laws decided to move to France as soon as we had my son (my husbands first child) and we have managed to get there once, they haven't made it back once yet, even when my daughter was born they met her once she was a year old.

Now obviously every family is different your parents may be retired and therefore be the bain of you life and never leave you alone with the children :twitcy:but all I wanted to say was be careful of moving your whole life and future children's life for your family. We are actually doing thereverse for years we have held off not wanting to take the grandchildren away from them etc but then we realised we were thinking about the wrong people and we were compromising our way of life for them when in reality we saw them very little. We hope to come home every 18 months (fingers crossed) and in which case a week spent with each of them is more time than we spend with them now. Hopefully in return we get better oppoortunities for us and the children. My in laws have said that once my husbands grandmother, who lives with them and they care for, is no longer with us they would certainly look at moving over, as my father in law is an Australian citizen.

Good luck with your decision but persoanlly given that you have to live in your house for 6 months, you are so close to completeing it and at that point you would practically be able to gain citizenship I would ride it out even a year is not that long. We embarked on this whole "lets go to Australia" thing a year ago and it has flown.

Hi,

I know it must be awful to feel homesick and I feel for you. I can't understand what it must be like as the longest I have been out of the country is 6 months (as an adult did 3 years in Germany as a child but that doesn't really count) I am a Mum to 3 and I just wanted to give you the flip side if the coin. I can't comment on the other issues but I know what it is like to start a family. My family are close ish. I am very close to my Mum she also lives about a 20 minute drive from me, my sister we are ok but lead totally different lives and she is often travelling so I rarely see her and my Dad lives in Wiltshire (to my Cornwall) not far but far enough not to see all that often. WHilst I have a good relationship with all my family I get barely any support. I moved back to Cornwall when I had my eldest (from London) to have them nearby. Don't get me wrong they both dote on my children and given the opportunity my Dad would have them more often but in reality my Mum has a 6 year old boy who she is always busy with, she works and as a result I have seen her about 4 times this year for no more than an afternoon!! My Dad I see for a snatched afternoon when he is down for the weekend as he runs around trying to catch up with everyone else. We do visit once a year or so and then we stay for about a week. My sister has never once offered to have the children, she at a push sat with them over night whilst I went into hospital to have my youngest. My in laws decided to move to France as soon as we had my son (my husbands first child) and we have managed to get there once, they haven't made it back once yet, even when my daughter was born they met her once she was a year old.

Now obviously every family is different your parents may be retired and therefore be the bain of you life and never leave you alone with the children :twitcy:but all I wanted to say was be careful of moving your whole life and future children's life for your family. We are actually doing thereverse for years we have held off not wanting to take the grandchildren away from them etc but then we realised we were thinking about the wrong people and we were compromising our way of life for them when in reality we saw them very little. We hope to come home every 18 months (fingers crossed) and in which case a week spent with each of them is more time than we spend with them now. Hopefully in return we get better oppoortunities for us and the children. My in laws have said that once my husbands grandmother, who lives with them and they care for, is no longer with us they would certainly look at moving over, as my father in law is an Australian citizen.

Good luck with your decision but persoanlly given that you have to live in your house for 6 months, you are so close to completeing it and at that point you would practically be able to gain citizenship I would ride it out even a year is not that long. We embarked on this whole "lets go to Australia" thing a year ago and it has flown.

/QUOTE]

It's a difficult one isn't it with families- they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

We have 3 children and for 8 years we manahged completely without support (My mum lived in Europe and only came home to visit when our eldest was 2 and a half) my sister has never really been interested and only visited for birthdays and christmas. My mum or sister have never taken my children for a walk let alone had them even though my mum has stayed with us when she has visited (she returned to the UK before we left for Oz-typical).

The problem for us was that because my husband is Australian - all his family are here and they are a wonderful bunch of people. We have visited many times and always felt tha our children were missing out on this wonderful family. So we tried for years to come here and eventually managed it in Jan- much to our Aussie familiy's delight.

That's really wehre it all goes a bit wrong really- the family are amazing (really genuinely love our children-which is wonderful to see) but we really,really don't like the rest- My Aussie husband really feels out of it here and the differences are just too much for us to cope with- the vastness inaccessability, poor choice, poor education, expense etc, etc. So we are heading home end of August. We know we are breaking our inlaws hearts but they understand that we have to be where we are happy. I just wish we could wrap them all up and take them with us.

Everything seems so difficult.....:sad:

Its difficult isn't it. I guess there is an element of the grass is alway greener and also whats right for one person may not be for the other. I like to plan everything (ot always feasible) and as such I look at every possibility and eventuality.

If only the distance wasn't so great

Its difficult isn't it. I guess there is an element of the grass is alway greener and also whats right for one person may not be for the other. I like to plan everything (ot always feasible) and as such I look at every possibility and eventuality.

If only the distance wasn't so great

Me too- good luck I hope everything works out for you:smile:

Guest guest36762
Trouble with France there are too many French people!:biggrin:

Karen, come now!

the trouble with France is all the Brits with second homes and who can't speak French, or those that have moved into and created little British ghetto's and again, can't speak French.

Archived