UK job situation? How bad is it?

paullym

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for all the other threads in this forum. It has really helped us out knowing that we are not the only ones with this feeling of being constantly in 'limbo' and feeling like we don't belong here.

I came out in Brisbane in 2000 and have been based here ever since. Here I met OH (also an expat, but German in origin) in 2004 and we have lived here since then (bar a year when we travelled around the world).

We have just recently had a babe and feeling we should return home has become much stronger, as well as OH's mother not being too well at the moment. We want our respective families to enjoy being with our daughter. As such we have made the decision to return before the end of the year. However my family is giving us equal encouragement to come but negative views about the UK job climate.

We appreciate what Australia has and the lifestyle on offer. As such its a difficult decision to make, and its been compounded by the fact that with a secure job here in Brisbane we could be giving up a lot for an uncertain future in the UK.

So we would value any advice that you may have. I suppose our main question to help us move forward and follow through on our decision (or delay it!) is how the UK job market is looking and how it may be looking 6 months down the line...

It would be good to get some information from people in the UK or those who have just returned, as an internet search about it is not bringing up much.

I am working in IT and my OH is a commercial accountant working with SAP looking for work part time. We are predominantly looking at London, which is where all the work seems to be, but would move anywhere south of Manchester.

Thanks again for any help... Good luck in your choices.

Paul

Guest siamsusie

Hi Paul,

Worldwide Audit Vacancies || International Big4 Jobs || Overseas Public Practice Vacancy and IT Vacancies - IT Vacancies from CV Screen - IT Vacancies UK Wide - IT Vacancies London for IT.... might be worthwhile wrting them an e mail to ask them the situation. Over in Canary Wharf (IT area) they are still slashing banking IT positions. It became so low up here in the city Paul up until end of April but I get the feeling that things are slowly trying to move again. Its a hard one, if you have property to sell in Australia you could pick yourself up a bargain in the Uk right now although there is a flicker of hope here that homes are beginning to move. If you're wanting to live in London, depending on the area, but say here in Bow a two bedroomed apartment would cost around £300,000 upwards or renting approx. $1200+ per month for a one bedroomed. If your looking to buy, why not contact a mortgage broker if your going down that route. Personally I think your relatives are right in expressing "caution" but whatever you decide good luck and congratulations on your new one and if I can help you any further pm me. ss x

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for all the other threads in this forum. It has really helped us out knowing that we are not the only ones with this feeling of being constantly in 'limbo' and feeling like we don't belong here.

I came out in Brisbane in 2000 and have been based here ever since. Here I met OH (also an expat, but German in origin) in 2004 and we have lived here since then (bar a year when we travelled around the world).

We have just recently had a babe and feeling we should return home has become much stronger, as well as OH's mother not being too well at the moment. We want our respective families to enjoy being with our daughter. As such we have made the decision to return before the end of the year. However my family is giving us equal encouragement to come but negative views about the UK job climate.

We appreciate what Australia has and the lifestyle on offer. As such its a difficult decision to make, and its been compounded by the fact that with a secure job here in Brisbane we could be giving up a lot for an uncertain future in the UK.

So we would value any advice that you may have. I suppose our main question to help us move forward and follow through on our decision (or delay it!) is how the UK job market is looking and how it may be looking 6 months down the line...

It would be good to get some information from people in the UK or those who have just returned, as an internet search about it is not bringing up much.

I am working in IT and my OH is a commercial accountant working with SAP looking for work part time. We are predominantly looking at London, which is where all the work seems to be, but would move anywhere south of Manchester.

Paul

Hello Paul

Very difficult situation you are in.

Firday we were told by those who know that the reccession is over and we are leading europe out.

Some how I do not believe it. My advise to you if you have a secure job is stay plan and sit out this reccesion then come back. The job market is not that good but not an expert on the IT industry my self.

Is Germany an option.

The thing that worries me about somone like you coming home after 9 years is, you will be used to the good things Australia has to offer. The bigger house maybe a swimming pool, the beach just down the road, more sushine.

You say you don't belong I just hope you don't have that feeling back hear as well. There can be nothing worse than not belonging in either country. I totaly understand how you feel and did not fit into Australian life either but I was never away as long as you and have fitted back in ok.

This is still a great country dispite what a lot of negative people say.

Good luck mate I hope you make the right choice.

John

Guest guest17520

My advice would be to stay where you have a job, at least until the whole GFC has died down. Australia is the best place to be, we actually missed going in to a recession, we're not in the clear yet but much safer choice than the grim old UK

• 2 weeks later...
Guest robbiegerrard

hello there, my oh is an aussie and returned home after 10yrs been there,she has regreted it ever since. The job thing here at the mo is not good at all, loads of jobs lost, i would sit it out and see how things go, i also wanted to come home ,but got home and realised what have i done... things are different when you come home to uk, and after a while you want to go back...ask away if you need any help in the job front here, have you tried looking on the net at the english papers or jobcentreplus also as this will give you an open view

Guest mandisfam

Hi, Its a difficult call for your, your situation is the same as many trying to get to oz, but obviously you want to come back to the UK. Have you been back on holiday with your new baby???? Could you not come for a extended period and see how you feel???

As to the job market, you dont say which area of IT you work in but try these websites for jobs:

Search for jobs in the UK. Online job search

Jobsite UK - 1000s UK Jobs, Start your Recruitment Job Search Now

Totaljobs.com - Find jobs across the UK

Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.co.uk

My Oh works in IT and these are job sites he uses. Mainly, jobserve and job site.

Another thing to consider is thats property is still very high in the South, and South Manchester and Cheshire holding there own too, there has been some decline in prices but they are still very high and the mortgage market is crap at the moment. Renting in the south is very high too, might be a bit better south Manchester way. Try UK's number one property website for properties for sale and to rent, for house prices and rental prices.

Another aspect to consider is child care for your daughter, this too is a highly expensive in the UK, it might well be too in Oz have no idea but I know good nursery places in the South of England are hard to come by and very expensive. My oh's cousin and his wife are well paid professionals who live in London and they found employing a Nanny was cheaper than paying a nursery.

Good luck and hope you find a way forward.

Mandisfam

Guest Em Batch

Hello,

Thought I would add my bit in here. It's a very tough decision to make. The job market is tough at the moment, it's not so much the jobs are not there but instead of having the odd few apply it is now in the 10's if not in the 100's applying. My Flatmate here in the UK was unfortunately made redundant and has been struggling to find anything for 3 months now! But stating that, he is not in IT. The house prices as Mandisfam has previously written is still very high even though the market dropped. It depends what you are used to and what you are after. Alot of people are not selling and I am sure the rental market has not changed much.

It has been stated that we are coming out of the recession and it will be better by the end of the year, or it will pick up. I am not sure. My advice would be - if you can wait until the end of the year then that is what I would do, if you are still happy where you are and can manage that then do it, it is only advice and I am sure others may disagree but if you are not in a rush then stay. If you are desperate to come home, then do and I am sure you will find something.

Good luck and I wish you all the best.

Emma

Hi all,

Paul

your story sounds just like mine. we went back to UK with our baby boy. we had gone on holiday there to show everyone the baby but knew i wouldn't be able to vist again for years so as soon as i got back to sydney i decided we were going back and six months later we did and stayed there for 6 years. it doesn't matter about work, what ever you do moving you loose money and start off at the bottom again. if you are good at your job or happy to just do anything. i am a registered nurse but when i got back i did cleaning for a while. it doesn't matter you will have your family around and baby sitters. my mum looked after my kids when they were small . it will all work out just don't worry to much get your citizenship if you can. i got mine 7th august and flew back to UK 13th. try not to worry

Guest ttaylor

G,day I came back from Australia in february just as the recession was hitting and i thought i would have a job guaranteed when i came back, so i sold all my tools and im lucky to get a 3 day week at the moment. my advice would be to come on holiday to the UK first as someone else mentioned. Good luck

My personal view is that if you are in a stable job at the moment in whatever country, until the global stuff sorts itself out, you are safer to stay where you are. Unless you have a firm job offer, I would just stay put for the time being. Just my personal view on a financial front. However if you are extremely homesick and can't hack it in Australia any longer, just go for it. Money isn't everything, although it does help you eat! Good Luck!

Hi

Thanks for all the advice. We also really appreciate that you all realise how hard a decision it is to make.

We have spent the last two weeks bouncing back and forth between going in September and March - and it has stressed us out considerably. Who would have thought that a *simple* decision could cause so much angst.

We have finally decided to wait until March, the end of our next rental lease (though we are being kicked out in September from our current one - moving twice was a definite factor in our decision making - the job situation was a bigger one).

It give me another 10 months of work - over Xmas - and the chance to save more money. It also allows us to see how the UK economy is tracking and to look for jobs and set up recruitment agents/interviews in the meantime.

We are coming to the UK in the beginning of August - for a week only however (I am indispensible at work - a boon and a curse!) and will try to get as much info/interviews etc crammed into that time as possible, though I think a holiday can only go so far to how things would be semi-permanent.

Thanks for the info on job sites - I have been looking and things are still moving by the looks. I think it is the case that there are many more people applying for the same job. It means you either have to have the exact skill set they need, or make yourself more competitive with a pay cut. We shall see.

Once again, thanks for the advice and support - keep it coming, more information is always a good thing.

Paul

Guest AlisonC

Hello Paul, the risk factor for both IT & accountancy are VERY high at the moment, but you should also consider the advantages. Our housing market is in the worst position since the 1980s. If you intend to invest in property/a home, then I doubt you would ever have the same advantage again. In addition you should consider the fact that the AUS$/£ is VERY much in your favour (and against the € ). 30% average reduction in house price + 20% > EXCHG rate.................. if you COULD get work you are in the best position to take advantage of the UKs worst economic climate for >50years................

Everyone is right though, the market is particularly difficult for white collar works in the Uk at present. If I were you, I would spend your week here job hunting then make a decision.

Guest treesea

I worked with SAP financials. A lot of that sort of work tends to be down in London, and specifically in the Slough/Bracknell/Basingstoke triangle and through from there to Reading. I found Michael Page in Australia quite useful regarding getting work interviews set up before I got here. There is still SAP work around, though not as much as before, and being able to speak fluent German would be a distinct advantage. You don't say what area of I.T. you are in. There is a fair bit of work around for SQL people.

Guest AlisonC
I worked with SAP financials. A lot of that sort of work tends to be down in London, and specifically in the Slough/Bracknell/Basingstoke triangle and through from there to Reading. I found Michael Page in Australia quite useful regarding getting work interviews set up before I got here. There is still SAP work around, though not as much as before, and being able to speak fluent German would be a distinct advantage. You don't say what area of I.T. you are in. There is a fair bit of work around for SQL people.

I'm not in IT I am an ACCA. 2nd language may give you an edge. I think you are prudent to seek advise with MP as they are international they should have access to UK roles. Good luck!

Hello Paul, the risk factor for both IT & accountancy are VERY high at the moment, but you should also consider the advantages. Our housing market is in the worst position since the 1980s. If you intend to invest in property/a home, then I doubt you would ever have the same advantage again. In addition you should consider the fact that the AUS$/£ is VERY much in your favour (and against the € ). 30% average reduction in house price + 20% > EXCHG rate.................. if you COULD get work you are in the best position to take advantage of the UKs worst economic climate for >50years................

Everyone is right though, the market is particularly difficult for white collar works in the Uk at present. If I were you, I would spend your week here job hunting then make a decision.

This is exactly what we are thinking - It may be worth the risk given the housing market and exchange rate... The Brisbane housing market is quite absurd at the moment, and house prices in the UK are very competitive as a result.

The main factor however is the job - It may be that my OH, who has SAP experience and German may get the work and I become a house husband until I can find work myself. There are quite a few options.

We are certainly going to be looking for jobs whilst in the UK!

Thanks for the advice - Paul

• 5 years later...

This post was started in 2009, the job market in both countries is very different now. I read the OP and if I was answering today I'd say it's a perfect time to come back.

Australia has almost the same unemployment rate as the UK and I can see Oz suffering in the near future, tough call but I think the UK is a better option for quality of life.

Well we did actually take the plunge and relocate to London from Brisbane last year. As it turned out we suffered very severe reverse culture shock. We both found good jobs, if slightly unstable, and had a great apartment. However we found the noise, and the strain on infrastructure just too much and it we are back in our house in brisbane, less than a year since we left. Lots of lessons learned, thankfully the jobs are still good here and we still had our house. I think the idea of extended holiday is a good one, but nothing is the same as actually trying to live and work in a new location...

Anyway, we are very much pinging and ponging. Hopefully we have seen the grass on both sides now and realise the Aussie side is thicker and more lush (though not after the current Brisbane dry Winter).

Australia has almost the same unemployment rate as the UK and I can see Oz suffering in the near future, tough call but I think the UK is a better option for quality of life.

How do you judge quality of life? Beer is cheaper?

Well we did actually take the plunge and relocate to London from Brisbane last year. As it turned out we suffered very severe reverse culture shock. We both found good jobs, if slightly unstable, and had a great apartment. However we found the noise, and the strain on infrastructure just too much and it we are back in our house in brisbane, less than a year since we left. Lots of lessons learned, thankfully the jobs are still good here and we still had our house. I think the idea of extended holiday is a good one, but nothing is the same as actually trying to live and work in a new location...

Anyway, we are very much pinging and ponging. Hopefully we have seen the grass on both sides now and realise the Aussie side is thicker and more lush (though not after the current Brisbane dry Winter).

ahem, but you were in London...:eek:

ahem, but you were in London...:eek:

You are correct. But that's where the jobs were. We needed to both have work, and the jobs for both our professions were predominantly in London. We could have lived outside and commuted in, but then we would have lost 2 more hours in the day...

I did a search for my job on Indeed. The combined jobs in Bristol, Reading, Birmingham and Manchester was about 200. London was 800... needs must and we were losing money...

Yes there are nicer places, but it is nicer still back here. We spent so much time weighing pros and cons, but in the end the quality of life, weather, and general positivity of the people here is second to none. Australians don't know (Still even in the current climate) how good they have it.

Archived