Moving back to UK at age of 75 and single!

Dell

Hi, yes, I am seriously contemplating moving back. My husband passed away several years ago and the big move seems slightly daunting on my own but I'm a fairly young at heart person and as I'm living in a small country town in Oz at the moment due to house prices being less expensive but not enjoying it much, I am absolutely itching to get back to the UK whilst I can. My 'careful' side says I'm mad but my other side, my 'adventurous' side, says go for it. You only live once!

I have visited and worked several times in the UK since emigrating here so have more or less kept up with developments in my home town, which I have missed from Day 1.

I am an Aussie citizen as well as a British one and receive the Aussie pension. I have found out that if I do move back, I will lose any supplements to the pension such as energy supplement, etc. I can live with that. However, I am having difficulty in finding out how far my Aussie pension will go in day to day living??? Obviously, I would be paid in Aussie dollars which means it will go up and down vs the pound, so I would have to be ready for that. There is such a thing as Council Tax in the UK. What is that actually for? Is it instead of rates? I'd like to know how much it is and whether I would be able to receive any financial help with that. Perhaps there are other supplements I could pursue as well. I am trying to arrive at a final weekly figure I would have to live on, and it's quite difficult. I've obviously written off to the UK to find out but I've been waiting for an answer for quite a while now so thought I'd ask the questions here.

This is obviously a mad idea at my age and I even have dogs, too, of course! Any positive thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Well if you are itching to get back to the UK why not. But the UK is only generous to people with children, moving back with no children or non dependent children you should expect to be on your own. If you think that is manageable then go for it.

Thank you, ambiovered! Okay, that's a help in understanding what council tax actually is! So if I don't own property, I don't pay Council Tax, I gather from that. Well, that's positive ... maybe.

I think you still have to pay even if you rent , have aread of this link and should explain things for you - https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/who-has-to-pay

Cal x

Hi, yes, I am seriously contemplating moving back. My husband passed away several years ago and the big move seems slightly daunting on my own but I'm a fairly young at heart person and as I'm living in a small country town in Oz at the moment due to house prices being less expensive but not enjoying it much, I am absolutely itching to get back to the UK whilst I can. My 'careful' side says I'm mad but my other side, my 'adventurous' side, says go for it. You only live once!

I have visited and worked several times in the UK since emigrating here so have more or less kept up with developments in my home town, which I have missed from Day 1.

I am an Aussie citizen as well as a British one and receive the Aussie pension. I have found out that if I do move back, I will lose any supplements to the pension such as energy supplement, etc. I can live with that. However, I am having difficulty in finding out how far my Aussie pension will go in day to day living??? Obviously, I would be paid in Aussie dollars which means it will go up and down vs the pound, so I would have to be ready for that. There is such a thing as Council Tax in the UK. What is that actually for? Is it instead of rates? I'd like to know how much it is and whether I would be able to receive any financial help with that. Perhaps there are other supplements I could pursue as well. I am trying to arrive at a final weekly figure I would have to live on, and it's quite difficult. I've obviously written off to the UK to find out but I've been waiting for an answer for quite a while now so thought I'd ask the questions here.

This is obviously a mad idea at my age and I even have dogs, too, of course! Any positive thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

What an adventurous spirit you have - I can't help with your questions, but there are plenty of people on here that have made the move back and know the in's and outs and I'm sure they'll provide you with lots of info. Good luck

I would consider it very carefully, if you find out you want to return to oz it could be a massive financial hit, also your dogs? what would happen to them. If you are comfortable in oz and have friends and contacts I would be wary of making such a big commitment.

Thanks, Perthburn, for your thoughts. Oh, look, of course it's going to be a big commitment. One does not do this unless you have thought out all the pros and cons and that's what I'm doing, I suppose. If I was comfortable and have a lot of friends and contacts, I would not be contemplating this but since losing my husband and selling our house and moving to a little town in rural NSW, I have not settled well. The locals are very parochial and it's just too darn quiet here for me. I much prefer the social life of most UK towns and the English are much more friendly to newcomers, I hazard to say with quaking knees! Unfortunately, not sure whether you are aware of this but house prices in built up areas here are going through the roof. I could no longer get a mortgage, not that I'd want one, and so I'm a bit stuck in the boonies here in many ways!

What an adventurous spirit you have - I can't help with your questions, but there are plenty of people on here that have made the move back and know the in's and outs and I'm sure they'll provide you with lots of info. Good luck

Many thanks, Ali. We'll see exactly how adventurous I am when I get all the info I need.

Thanks, Perthburn, for your thoughts. Oh, look, of course it's going to be a big commitment. One does not do this unless you have thought out all the pros and cons and that's what I'm doing, I suppose. If I was comfortable and have a lot of friends and contacts, I would not be contemplating this but since losing my husband and selling our house and moving to a little town in rural NSW, I have not settled well. The locals are very parochial and it's just too darn quiet here for me. I much prefer the social life of most UK towns and the English are much more friendly to newcomers, I hazard to say with quaking knees! Unfortunately, not sure whether you are aware of this but house prices in built up areas here are going through the roof. I could no longer get a mortgage, not that I'd want one, and so I'm a bit stuck in the boonies here in many ways!
Well if that is the case and you are 100% sure...go for it, the UK is a fantastic place to live as is Australia, I should imagine (dont get me wrong on this) but at your age a more temperate climate is more comfortable. I am a saff but would not live anywhere else than the UK, the seasons for me as a south african are stunning and I actually love this time of the year, if you are 100% sure....do it...

Parochial thinking seems to go with small town living in Australia. I understand very well your reasoning for a change. To put your mind at rest, a relative of mine, did indeed return to England, at a more advanced age than you, bought a house, sold it several years later, then moved to a third country where she remains. It can certainly be done. I think you will need to chose well though. Another person of similar age on another forum, moved back and lives in Devon, which apparently hasn't been the success hoped for.

Have you considered moving to another state like SA for example? There are reasonably priced properties nearer the centre. People are friendly too. We knew our neighbours well in our last rental and now we have moved to the hills. Bot neighbours have introduced themselves and invited us round.

Deends on on your budget too but retired people here have plenty going on and social events that don't break the bank.

Edited by rammygirl

You still have to pay council tax if you're renting, but as a pensioner, and depending on your financial circumstances, and where you are living, you might not have to pay any council tax at all, you could get most or all of your rent paid too, again depending on your circumstances, your best bet would be to enquire with the local council where you intend to settle.

DoD you also get an English pension? You may be entitled to a part pension if you have worked in UK and lived and worked in Australia up to 2002. That might change your Australian pension because you would have more income but if you do have a UK pension income there are other things you might be entitled to here like winter fuel allowance and other low income credits.

I'm of the "life is an adventure" school of thought and if you're young enough at heart then go for it but life is always a huge gamble - I've always said to my DH that if anything happens to him first that's what I will be doing (we are in UK at the moment as my parents need care but we will be returning). I remember talking to one of my parents' friends who had emigrated with her family, her daughter and husband both died and she was living in Bowral and she said much the same as you but her health wasn't great and she couldn't move but she badly wanted to. Bowral is nice enough but it wasn't "her"

Good luck with your decision

If you can get a bit of English pension that might also give you entitlements to free/cheap travel in some parts of the UK. You don't have to have worked there very long to qualify, either. However, they will take the difference off you from Centrelink though I guess you wouldn't have got your Centrelink pension without first showing your British pension entitlements? Good luck- and choose your part of the UK with great care- as I am sure you are aware, some parts are much nicer than others!

Well if that is the case and you are 100% sure...go for it, the UK is a fantastic place to live as is Australia, I should imagine (dont get me wrong on this) but at your age a more temperate climate is more comfortable. I am a saff but would not live anywhere else than the UK, the seasons for me as a south african are stunning and I actually love this time of the year, if you are 100% sure....do it...

Hi there, well, once I'd worked out what a saff was (!), yes, I do find the heat really hard to take in mid summer but you mention spring in the UK. There's nothing like it when the daffs come out and if you're lucky, you get a lovely spring day with the sun shining and everything so green and it really is fantastic. I miss that, amongst other things. However, I have a vivid memory of very wet springs indeed so have no illusions, haha

Have you considered moving to another state like SA for example? There are reasonably priced properties nearer the centre. People are friendly too. We knew our neighbours well in our last rental and now we have moved to the hills. Bot neighbours have introduced themselves and invited us round.

Deends on on your budget too but retired people here have plenty going on and social events that don't break the bank.

Thank you, rammygirl, for your thoughts on moving. I have travelled around Australia in my many years living here and yes, there are parts of many of the states here that are attractive. But ... I just have this longing to go home!

You still have to pay council tax if you're renting, but as a pensioner, and depending on your financial circumstances, and where you are living, you might not have to pay any council tax at all, you could get most or all of your rent paid too, again depending on your circumstances, your best bet would be to enquire with the local council where you intend to settle.

Yes, amibovered, I have sent off an email to the local council and am waiting for somebody who has gone off on leave to come back! So, hopefully, she will have some answers for me.

Welcome to the forum, what a lovely positive attitude you have.

Council tax is what used to be rates, it is set by the local council and is based on the value of the property you live in - if you have a look at estate agent sites such as rightmove.co.uk for the area/type of house you want to live in you will be able to find the 'band' a property is in eg A, B, C etc. The local council website will then give you the charge for that band.

Councils vary quite a bit & some include water rates, in other places water rates is an additional charge (sometimes water is metered, living on your own that would be a good thing). As you have found there is a single occupancy reduction. If you were to think in the region of £100 a month that should cover it.

Before getting any kind of means tested benefits you would need to pass the 'habitually residency' test. The CAB website has a lot of useful info on that - basically just have to prove you're not a visitor.

The pension side is a minefield and a lot depends on the source of your Aussie pension and your entitlement to a UK pension. Even a very small UK pension is worth claiming as it entitles you to other benefits and services.

I very much doubt you would get means tested benefits if you have a house to sell in Australia - my dad got no help as he had over £15k. Just to give you an idea, my dad has a State pension only but not just the basic one, it is based on his contributions &

gets £220 a week. He gets no benefits at all and on this he lives more than comfortably but he has no rent to pay as he lives in a house I own.

To be honest I've come to the conclusion there is little point saving for old age. If he had no savings then his rent would have been paid & if he didn't have SERPS then he'd get pension credit and be exempt from council tax.

I have to say the social care provision has been incredible, a Social Worker and OT assessed his needs and a stair lift and wet room were installed free of charge plus other adaptive equipment. He also has an alarm and a home help but he pays a small amount towards these. I know it's not something any of us like to think about but it comes to most of us in the end.

DoD you also get an English pension? You may be entitled to a part pension if you have worked in UK and lived and worked in Australia up to 2002. That might change your Australian pension because you would have more income but if you do have a UK pension income there are other things you might be entitled to here like winter fuel allowance and other low income credits.

I'm of the "life is an adventure" school of thought and if you're young enough at heart then go for it but life is always a huge gamble - I've always said to my DH that if anything happens to him first that's what I will be doing (we are in UK at the moment as my parents need care but we will be returning). I remember talking to one of my parents' friends who had emigrated with her family, her daughter and husband both died and she was living in Bowral and she said much the same as you but her health wasn't great and she couldn't move but she badly wanted to. Bowral is nice enough but it wasn't "her"

Good luck with your decision

Well, that's interesting, Quoll. Last time I enquired some years ago about the UK pension, they told me that because I had worked only until I was 23, I wasn't eligible because they didn't count the early years between 15 and 21. However, they must have changed and now may consider some of my work history from here, too! I did chat with the Aussie pensions people last week and they told me yes, by all means put a claim in to the UK and see what happens but I must remember that the more extra money I attain through whatever means, my Aussie pension will reduce!!! Re where I would be heading in the UK, I am a Lancashire lass and I would go back to the town I know which is by the coast. I even have cousins there although we are not close but I am very familiar with it as I've been back and forth there several times in the past. It's a pricey place, though, re housing so I might end up renting, depending on how my luck goes. All good advice, thanks.

Hi Lady Rainicorn, good advice, thank you! I have seen houses with the words 'Band A,' etc, and wondered what it meant. I'm learning heaps here. Yes, once there, I would certainly NOT be planning on coming back. Once will be enough this time around. I very much appreciate knowing that if I did apply for a tiny UK pension, it would open the door to, perhaps, other supplements, so I will keep that in mind. It's a bit hard to compare pension amounts because I do get the full pension here which is, I think, a little more than the UK one but I will be paid in Aussie dollars which will fluctuate. It's all very iffy at the moment in knowing exactly how much I will receive but have already received some valuable information here today, so I can build on that info. Thank you all very much for being so friendly! Re saving for retirement, etc, yes, one does wonder about it. I saw an old post from someone on here who had bought a house on his return and said afterwards he wished he'd rented and not bought.

Oh, yes, the UK has wonderful Social Services. My father always lived in the UK and when he became ill, I went over there to arrange things for him and the same thing happened for him, too. They put a toilet and shower under the stairs for him, to save him going upstairs. I was amazed. I don't think they'd be too keen to do that here, but I may be wrong, I suppose. Well, it might not be something we like to think about but it's going to happen to all of us at some point so we might as well be prepared!

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding council tax if you have a look at houses for sale on Zooplankton.co.uk for the type of house you are looking for and scroll down to the bottom it normally has the monthly council tax amount on there. Not sure how accurate it is? Worth a look. There are also properties on there up for rent.

Good luck with your move.

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding council tax if you have a look at houses for sale on Zooplankton.co.uk for the type of house you are looking for and scroll down to the bottom it normally has the monthly council tax amount on there. Not sure how accurate it is? Worth a look. There are also properties on there up for rent.

Good luck with your move.

I think Zoopla.co.uk is what Disney meant - got to love autocorrect