Moving car back to UK with finance owing?

Tomahawk85

Hi all just wondering if it's possible to take our car back to the UK with us when we move even though there is finance still to be paid. Is this possible? legal? What are our legal obligations? Obviously we fully intend to continue paying the finance for it once we've moved back. Any help appreciated cheers

I think you know the answer, because you know you really should be asking the financer this question or reading all the fine print on the finance agreement. So it comes down to pay or run? pay it off in full before you go no question to ask, If you ask the question be prepared to have to pay in full or the finance company could put some sort of export block on the car. Run and not say anything and keep paying the finance nobody is any the wiser. Run and not pay? well that is just plain theft/fraud and your decision and consequence's to face.

We checked this out as my husband wants to take his bike with us when we go and it still has some finance left on it and we were told it is not possible and we would be breaking the law by taking the bike out of the country when it is financed in Australia.

Below is an extract from the email we received from them.

While under finance for security purposes the bike would need to remain in Australia and in your possession. To have the bike relocated to the UK would be a breach of contract. This would be the same if the bike was left in Australia and you were to move to the UK.

The contract would need to be paid out in full for you to relocate the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Martinbjulieb

On a similar subject - I raised a question on this forum about whether my credit file and rating in Australia could assist when we move to England. The answer is absolutely not - nothing. So whilst I may have been good and timely at repaying in Australia it will not get me any status in England. I have followed up on this and looked at websites how to start a credit rating in England (to enable us to get mortgage in the future).

It is true whatever you do in Australia - good or bad - will not follow you to England. So 17 yrs paying a mortgage on time in Australia will amount to nothing when you get to England.

Technically speaking (only) - not repaying finance is not a criminal offence and no action can be taken under criminal proceedings. Finance companies can advise and instruct but only civil action could be raised. It would need to be worth their while chasing it up if you didn't pay.

Same would go for unsecured debts (credit card) unpaid etc - ditto for above.

Edited by suesmalls

Hi all thanks for all your advice. I'd like to add that of course I've read my finance agreements terms and conditions and there is absolutely no way I would send the car with the intention of not continuing payments. My shipper said to me there is nothing for me to answer to them about finance on the car, or the RMS when the car is de registered.

Theres nothing in my finance agreement regarding sending the car overseas only that I have to notify my change of address. I obviously have further investigations to make.

Hi all just wondering if it's possible to take our car back to the UK with us when we move even though there is finance still to be paid. Is this possible? legal? What are our legal obligations? Obviously we fully intend to continue paying the finance for it once we've moved back. Any help appreciated cheers

It would take customs a phone call to do a finance check.

That is if customs bother.... what you have to bare in mind with this car, you will have to get it checked in the UK. it might be a VW golf. and sold in both countries but bare in mind safety regs are different and you could end up paying 100s if not 1000s to get it legally on the road.

with the cost of cars in the UK is it really worth it sell it and buy new in the UK.

On a similar subject - I raised a question on this forum about whether my credit file and rating in Australia could assist when we move to England. The answer is absolutely not - nothing.... So 17 yrs paying a mortgage on time in Australia will amount to nothing when you get to England. .

So true. While it's possible to get a basic no-frills bank account once you've arrived, the banks won't even give you a credit card and landlords will demand 6 months' rent upfront. You'd think your Credit Rating was a God, it's worshipped so much in the UK!

You've probably found the advice that the only way to build a credit rating is to get one of those high-interest credit cards for people with bad debt, buy a few things on it each month and pay it off promptly - apparently you should have a decent credit rating in about a year.

Hi @Marisawright yes I've found out that to get started I will need to get an extremely high credit card rate (32% plus) with a very low limit and as you say you purchase and repay on time. And then start building your credit history. I was surprised when I was doing my shopping around at the high credit card rates in England. Maybe just the website I went to but didn't seem to be as many low credit card rates as here in Australia.

The going rate was just under 20% - you can get lots of cards in Australia around 9.99% to 13.49%. I know we have a high interest rate ones but there is plenty on the market that are much better these days.

I'm sure I'll be corrected - but that would be good if there is better alternatives.

Hi all thanks for all your advice. I'd like to add that of course I've read my finance agreements terms and conditions and there is absolutely no way I would send the car with the intention of not continuing payments. My shipper said to me there is nothing for me to answer to them about finance on the car, or the RMS when the car is de registered.

Theres nothing in my finance agreement regarding sending the car overseas only that I have to notify my change of address. I obviously have further investigations to make.

personally I would check the costs out to get the car on the road in the uk It cost us around £1500 to have the speedo changed and the car put through a single vehicle approval check and on the road

I also think that you might pay Vat if you have not owned the car for 12 months

You will also void any warranty you might have if it's shipped overseas

Edited by Patphillips47
  • Like 1

Hi @Marisawright yes I've found out that to get started I will need to get an extremely high credit card rate (32% plus) with a very low limit and as you say you purchase and repay on time. And then start building your credit history. I was surprised when I was doing my shopping around at the high credit card rates in England. Maybe just the website I went to but didn't seem to be as many low credit card rates as here in Australia.

The going rate was just under 20% - you can get lots of cards in Australia around 9.99% to 13.49%. I know we have a high interest rate ones but there is plenty on the market that are much better these days.

I'm sure I'll be corrected - but that would be good if there is better alternatives.

There are plenty of low interest rate cards available, 20% is by no means average, lots around in low single figures. You certainly wouldn't have to go for one up in the 30s even starting out but if you pay it back each month the limit will increase as quickly as you need it to and the interest rate is irrelevant. Try with which er bank you go with, don't just assume you need a high rate card to get started.

There are plenty of low interest rate cards available, 20% is by no means average, lots around in low single figures. You certainly wouldn't have to go for one up in the 30s even starting out but if you pay it back each month the limit will increase as quickly as you need it to and the interest rate is irrelevant. Try with which er bank you go with, don't just assume you need a high rate card to get started.

Bristolman, you have been told this by several people including me - when you return to the UK with no credit rating, you can't get a credit card from a bank. You get a debit card. It will take several months before they will give you a credit card and even then the limit will be very low.

The high interest cards are specifically aimed at people with bad credit ratings so you can get one of those and start building your credit rating right from day one - as you say, you pay it back in full each month so there's no need to worry about what the interest rate is.

everyone seems to struggle to get low interest rate credit cards when they move back so you should put up some links to the ones you know about so people know where to get them. no point saying they are available if you dont say where to get them.

everyone seems to struggle to get low interest rate credit cards when they move back so you should put up some links to the ones you know about so people know where to get them. no point saying they are available if you dont say where to get them.

Bristolman keeps harking back to how things worked when he moved back to the UK, he can't get his head around the fact that the banks have all these new regulations now! So I don't think he has a clue which organisations offer credit cards to newbies.

@VERYSTORMY might have an idea as he's the most recent returnee

Bristolman keeps harking back to how things worked when he moved back to the UK, he can't get his head around the fact that the banks have all these new regulations now! So I don't think he has a clue which organisations offer credit cards to newbies.

@VERYSTORMY might have an idea as he's the most recent returnee

When I moved back to the UK from Belgium seven years ago all the banks were interested in was the length of time you had spent at your current UK address. Less than three years and you couldn't get anything. I was lucky because I hadn't been far away and had maintained my original UK bank account and credit card throughout the 24 years I was away. The one thing I realised is that it pays to keep a bank account open, at least for a year or two, when you leave one country to live in another because they seldom chase you to close it if you keep it in credit etc etc but it is nigh on impossible to reopen an account once you have left the country.

• 4 months later...

Unless you're really attached to the car, can't you sell it and clear the finance? The cost of shipping it to the UK plus all the requirements for getting it to meet UK regulations would make it far more expensive than replacing it like for like with a UK car. We have a Mazda 6 wagon here in Oz and getting an equivalent in the UK would be cheaper off the forecourt.

Depending on what vehicle you have if it's a one off ie not an eu model your taking you will need to jump through hoops to get it on the road in the UK Our Captiva cost us 1500 quid to get it on the road I considered it worth it as the car was paid for and almost new but it is an added cost Worth maybe adding it all up to see what's the best way

When we moved back in 2001 we had no credit rating bought things cash which made things worse ! We had had a UK account for years but that made no difference we had to fight to get gas and electric even on direct debit plus Virgin used to cut the phone off when the bill hit a certain amount despite the fact they were paid direct debit ! Then after 6 months Lloyds offered us a credit card with a limit of 500 which I used all the time and paid straight of - worked wonders they could not do enough for us down the track Getting on the electoral roll and having a landline rather than a mobile also helps ( or so some places told me )