Blue Cross Animal Services - anyone used?

mouse

Hi There

I haven't heard of this company but we are also looking around for companies (I have set up some questions under Pets forum- so if you wanted to review the responses I got). We have 2 cats - and also moving from Perth to England; so would be interested to hear. Haven't asked my vet yet - I live in Port Kennedy; different vets probably have different opinions. When are you looking at transporting? - it's the most difficult part of this process for me as I am worried.

Will be following your post, thank you.

Hi There

I haven't heard of this company but we are also looking around for companies (I have set up some questions under Pets forum- so if you wanted to review the responses I got). We have 2 cats - and also moving from Perth to England; so would be interested to hear. Haven't asked my vet yet - I live in Port Kennedy; different vets probably have different opinions. When are you looking at transporting? - it's the most difficult part of this process for me as I am worried.

Will be following your post, thank you.

We flew our cat back recently from Brisbane to Heathrow using Jet pets. They were the best priced for the companies I contacted and I could not fault their service.

Hello Sue, We have done it twice with our dogs using JET PETS they are great our pets where even on the same plane and we could see the crate from the lounge window as we were waiting to board it was just a lovely site. When we got to heathrow we just went round to the quarantine section along with others and picked them up and we were on our way can't fault it and we like I said have done that twice. They will even deliver for you if you wish. I think now you only have 23 days after they have had there vaccinations and they can travel were as in the good old days it was 6 month much better now.

Thanks @Pommyshiela a few people have now recommended that company. Out of interest do you have pet insurance in England / UK? As my cats will be over 9 years this may cut them off from "full / comprehensive" insurance in England (it does in Australia) - I am wondering was anyone able to transfer / or use their existing pet insurance of evidence to set up comprehensive insurance in England for their pets. I want to be able to fully insure them rather than just "accidental" and age is a barrier in Australia (you must have them insured before age of 9).

if anyone has any advice / guidance on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks @Pommyshiela a few people have now recommended that company. Out of interest do you have pet insurance in England / UK? As my cats will be over 9 years this may cut them off from "full / comprehensive" insurance in England (it does in Australia) - I am wondering was anyone able to transfer / or use their existing pet insurance of evidence to set up comprehensive insurance in England for their pets. I want to be able to fully insure them rather than just "accidental" and age is a barrier in Australia (you must have them insured before age of 9).

if anyone has any advice / guidance on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Sue, Dogtainers and Jetpets are the two largest pet shipping companies in Australia. Personally I have always used Dogtainers when shipping dogs interstate.

In regards to insurance the UK as many options, one that you will be familiar with is Petplan. I worked with them in the UK and helped them set up in Australia many moons ago. At the time they ran as two seperate identities so you couldn't transfer your pet policy from the UK to Australia. I know Petplan UK age for taking out new policies is 7 for dogs and 9 for cats.

Dont stress though as there are a few companies who will insure your babies but they may only cover vet fees and not death from illness. Have a look at

http://www.johnlewis-insurance.com/homepage/pet-insurance/cat-insurance-benefits.html

https://www.eandl.co.uk/pet/senior-cat-insurance

https://www.animalfriends.co.uk/cat-insurance/

Thank you @The Pom Queen that is great update - I was concerned I'm going to miss out on comprehensive insurance in UK due to age; this does worry me alot as we are going to be losing quite a bit of money on our house and possessions and going to England with next to nothing - so if something went wrong with the cats we won't have the financial capacity to pay for it. I have comprehensive insurance with Pet Insurance Australia at present (for one of my cats) and accidental on the other as I she was older when taken out (rescue cats). I have paid of thousands and thousands on surgery etc in Australia on my cats (2 past on now) and never wanted to be in position where I couldn't afford vet care.

Your insight to the pet insurance in UK is very helpful - thank you.

Going to look at websites now. Cheers

Guest The Pom Queen
Thank you @The Pom Queen that is great update - I was concerned I'm going to miss out on comprehensive insurance in UK due to age; this does worry me alot as we are going to be losing quite a bit of money on our house and possessions and going to England with next to nothing - so if something went wrong with the cats we won't have the financial capacity to pay for it. I have comprehensive insurance with Pet Insurance Australia at present (for one of my cats) and accidental on the other as I she was older when taken out (rescue cats). I have paid of thousands and thousands on surgery etc in Australia on my cats (2 past on now) and never wanted to be in position where I couldn't afford vet care.

Your insight to the pet insurance in UK is very helpful - thank you.

Going to look at websites now. Cheers

No problem at all. I'm glad I could help. It may also be worth calling Petplan as they can tailor a package to suit your needs (Well they could the UK side may have changed).

Guest The Pom Queen
Well I haven't heard back from them so taking that as a sign and am getting quotes from your recommendations. Thank you! Good luck with it all Sue, I'm finding shipping the cat the most stressful part!

It is stressful as they are part of our family. If it's any consolation we stress a lot more than they do.

Hi @mouse I agree with you, I've got so many things to do (including selling house and having total knee replacement) before we go but thinking about transporting the cats takes precedence and gives me more worry than anything. Think The Pom Queen is right and we do worry more perhaps than they do but they are definitely are fur family. Not sure when you're going but we can't go until house sold as we need the funds etc - so would be interested to hear how you get on, best wishes x

I'm leaving in December Sue. Just had Crown come round today to give me a quote and they work with Jet Pets. They said they get corporate rates so have asked for them to quote for my cat as well as all the household stuff. I'll let you know how I go.

I agree about them being fur family and that we worry more than we do. I took her to the vets last week for her rabies vaccination and told the vet how anxious she is. The vet listened to her heart and pretty much told me she wasn't stressed, she's was just grumpy with me. That got me told!

Hi @mouse not long until you leave then - out of interest are you a returning Brit or moving for first time? I'm moving for first time so lots of change for me and lots of unknown - financially this is not a good idea and actually going to cause us a lot of problems - but it's about family first and different way of life and better options open to us in the long run. Selling house at moment is going to be tough given the market and depressed pricing, I hope the Aussie dollar keeps holding strong to exchange rate.

I'm going to get quote from Crown and Chess, but hadn't thought about the removalist potentially getting better rates through their ongoing work relationship - good idea, thanks for that.

Did you get direct quotes to compare though?

My cats are 12 and 10 so not spring chickens, I'm watching them at the moment and any sneeze or refusal of food I'm getting myself totally worried that they're getting ill (had 2 others go through various illness as they got older so it's hard to deal with) and they won't be able to get on plane etc. I think I'm going to need valium or something to shut me up when the times comes that's for sure x