Need to return to UK urgently but passport expired

ArleneW

Hi anyone who can help please. I need to take my kids back to the UK (hubby of 20 years has walked out on us). He is signing permission to take the kids so that's not a worry. Problem is our UK passports expired. We have valid Australian passports. Can I return on my Oz passport? Does that mean I need to buy a return ticket :( I have completed all the paperwork for new UK passports but can't wait incase they are delayed. They say about 4 weeks and time for postage back and forth but I'm too scared it takes longer. Any help here would be appreciated thanks.

Do you still have the expired passports? I shouldn't think it would be too much issue travelling on the Australian passports if so, obviously it would be better to have the UK ones but you are British so won't be refused at the door.

And I know it isn't what you asked, but why do you need to leave urgently? Maybe this is precisely the wrong time to make this kind of decision?

I need to leave urgently as we have been left with nothing and to be perfectly honest I'm on the verge of a breakdown. My family are all in the UK ready to help us. Here I know not a living soul as I just moved to Perth a month ago although I lived elsewhere for 10 years. I've heard you can leave Oz on Australian passport and the UK will just stamp your passport with a 6 month visa. But with a one way ticket I don't see them doing that. Just wondered if I have to buy a return ticket and then get my UK passports once I arrive. Then panicking they'll make me leave the country. Too much drama in my life right now. Can't believe I let the UK passports expire

When we returned to the UK a few years ago we all entered on Australian passports, including our 2 Australian born children, it took a couple of minutes to explain the situation and we were each given a 6 month visa, she said it was because they have to stamp something in it. We all entered on one way tickets.

Sorry to hear of your struggles :hug:

Someone I know took the little ones back and they only had Aus passports and entered the UK on them. She didn't get the little ones passports until a year or so later. It's possible. I hope you find the support you need and soon. All the best x

Sorry to hear of your troubles! Perhaps a good move to get out quick in case he changes his mind (sorry I am a cynic) - just get their U.K. Rights sorted as soon as you arrive - for education, health etc. Take the old passports and plead (legitimate) extenuating circumstances. You should be fine ! Be sure to get your leave to take the kids in writing!

Hi anyone who can help please. I need to take my kids back to the UK (hubby of 20 years has walked out on us). He is signing permission to take the kids so that's not a worry. Problem is our UK passports expired. We have valid Australian passports. Can I return on my Oz passport? Does that mean I need to buy a return ticket :( I have completed all the paperwork for new UK passports but can't wait incase they are delayed. They say about 4 weeks and time for postage back and forth but I'm too scared it takes longer. Any help here would be appreciated thanks.

Hubby has responsibility. You can't have arrived in Perth with nothing.

Technically you don't need UK passports.

But security is much tighter of late after Paris etc.

You could apply for renewals. It doesn't take long.

Sorry to hear about your situation, it can't be easy. We recently applied for our two sons British passports as we are emigrating to the UK in November. It arrived alot quicker than expected. We sent them express post (2-4 days) to the UK passport office and received both passports back in 12 days, so less than 2 weeks. You can also send them courier which I think gets to the UK in 1-2 days. You also should consider that immigration in Australia may also question you if you don't have passports or visas for the children for their arrival in the UK. Good luck :)

Thank you :) Appreciate everyone's advice. Very happy to hear "nowandthen" that it look so quick to get your passports. I've just got all the forms sorted by countersignatory and will be posting them off express tomorrow. Fingers crossed I'll be back with my family soon but will be sad to leave Australia :(