First time back to UK in 20 years. Some thoughts....

grizzly111

Just spent a few reconnaissance weeks in the south of England.

1. Wow. It's practically just as I left it. Better, in fact. At least the environment on the surface. Which is actually a good thing.

2. England is truly a beautiful country with so much history and culture. I absolutely adored the countryside as I have always done. Having lived all over Australia for 20 years it cannot hold a candle to it. The sights and even the smells came flooding back. The human memory is truly incredible!

3. London (where I grew up) was cleaner than expected but busier, much busier it seemed. Air pollution hadn't changed judging by what came out my nose! I did not enjoy the crowds but enjoyed the culture.

4. Transport was efficient albeit slightly costly. Was impressed with the rail/tube system as always, updated carriages, friendly rail staff etc. Cleaner than Sydney's trains overall.

5. Was genuinely suprised at how close everything was.

6. Great pubs. Great beer, food, family friendly. What more can I say?

7. Schools/education - I've been lucky enough to have been to some top schools in both the UK and Australia (at much sacrifice from my parents). Visited one whilst there. UK clearly superior on this one (my opinion only) if you have the money.

8. Housing - expensive. Suprisingly expensive in any of the 'greener' areas I liked in SW London and even in the countryside. Going to have to do more research in this area.

9. Job prospects - I got the feeling the job market in general was positive. Retail establishments everywhere appeared to be hiring, for example, which is a fair indication for basic demand on a public level and always a (albeit low-paid) fall back.

10. Food - of decent quality. Moderately expensive for some things, cheaper for others. eg. bread was cheap but fresh meat not so much. Eating out was generally of superior quality.

11. Loved going for long walks in the woods and parks. Just felt so safe and so relaxed by the surroundings. Sense of peace. Just cant get that feeling in Australia - the burning sun, insects that bite....

12. People - eccentric and direct. But usually in a good way. Took me by suprise at first as I am used to the laid back Aussie approach. Something DEFINTELY need to get used to. They also dont tend to want to get into your business and know your whole life story the first time you meet which was like a breath of fresh air. They tend to mind their own business which can be misinterpreted as being unfriendly. But in reality I found Brits more friendly and helpful than expected.

England really has a lot to offer on that tiny rock. For kids I'd rather them grow up in the UK and get an education there. Work is my biggest hurdle as I will have to requalify over there and my industry in the UK isn't as well off as it is in Australia. Though this could change over the next 10 years. I am honestly thinking about returning to the UK for good.

Thanks for the post.

For point 4, that only seems to apply to London. The most of the rest of the country is a mess transport wise. The local Bus firm has got some "new" busses. They are ex London and 14 year old. The service isn't frequent and is expensive. The public transport in the north of England isn't a batch on Brisbane's services.

We have also just been back to the UK for a few weeks, the first time in 10 years we have been back and we used Buses, trains, hire cars and taxi's ,all were pretty great, clean and reliable and none over expensive at all. The thing we and the kids noticed was how fast everyone drove compared to here, even the driver of a tour bus in London ! lol, it was like he had a death wish and had never heard of give way, constantly pulling out on cars and having near misses and screaming matches with the other drivers through the windows,lol. All in though, i was quite impressed with the public transport both up North and in London.

Cal x

Whenever I go back to the UK I either take a train from Euston to Scotland or drive and every time the beautiful countryside delights me no matter what the weather is like. The further north I go, the happier I am - stunning scenery. I don't know about other parts of the UK but when I eventually arrive at the area where I was born and brought up, it's as though time's stood still. Nothing much has changed at all and as far as I'm concerned that's brilliant. My old pals and I just slot back into place - our friendship just picks up from when we last met up. London is fabulous for a visit but I find it expensive. All in all the UK is a great place. After saying all that though, Tasmania is my home and I love it here.

Property in London is expensive and for that and other reasons, many chose to commute in. This of course can be expensive, but there are ways around it.

Many people for example negotiate a travel card as part of their package. Others drive with electric cars becoming very popular as there are free charging points all over - most big offices now have them and there is no road tax or congestion charge for them.

1. Wow. It's practically just as I left it. Better, in fact. At least the environment on the surface. Which is actually a good thing.

2. England is truly a beautiful country with so much history and culture. I absolutely adored the countryside as I have always done. Having lived all over Australia for 20 years it cannot hold a candle to it. The sights and even the smells came flooding back. The human memory is truly incredible!

3. London (where I grew up) was cleaner than expected but busier, much busier it seemed. Air pollution hadn't changed judging by what came out my nose! I did not enjoy the crowds but enjoyed the culture.

4. Transport was efficient albeit slightly costly. Was impressed with the rail/tube system as always, updated carriages, friendly rail staff etc. Cleaner than Sydney's trains overall.

7. Schools/education - I've been lucky enough to have been to some top schools in both the UK and Australia (at much sacrifice from my parents). Visited one whilst there. UK clearly superior on this one (my opinion only) if you have the money.

8. Housing - expensive. Suprisingly expensive in any of the 'greener' areas I liked in SW London and even in the countryside. Going to have to do more research in this area.

9. Job prospects - I got the feeling the job market in general was positive. Retail establishments everywhere appeared to be hiring, for example, which is a fair indication for basic demand on a public level and always a (albeit low-paid) fall back.

10. Food - of decent quality. Moderately expensive for some things, cheaper for others. eg. bread was cheap but fresh meat not so much. Eating out was generally of superior quality.

11. Loved going for long walks in the woods and parks. Just felt so safe and so relaxed by the surroundings. Sense of peace. Just cant get that feeling in Australia - the burning sun, insects that bite....

12. People - eccentric and direct. But usually in a good way. Took me by suprise at first as I am used to the laid back Aussie approach. Something DEFINTELY need to get used to. They also dont tend to want to get into your business and know your whole life story the first time you meet which was like a breath of fresh air. They tend to mind their own business which can be misinterpreted as being unfriendly. But in reality I found Brits more friendly and helpful than expected.

England really has a lot to offer on that tiny rock. For kids I'd rather them grow up in the UK and get an education there. Work is my biggest hurdle as I will have to requalify over there and my industry in the UK isn't as well off as it is in Australia. Though this could change over the next 10 years. I am honestly thinking about returning to the UK for good.

Great post and totally agree with almost all of it, there are lots of areas away from the SE that are very affordable. Also we live in the country and e end way out here our public transport is good.

Great post and totally agree with almost all of it, there are lots of areas away from the SE that are very affordable. Also we live in the country and e end way out here our public transport is good.

Lucky you. In many country areas where my friends live public transport is practically non-existent so everybody relies on their car.

Ah but its Summer there- the best time of the year. Different story in Autumn and Winter. Oh for perpetual Spring/Summer- we might have stayed (probably not though)

For you of course, Autumn can be absolutely wonderful and has been since we have been here. Also of course not even everyone values the weather above everything else.

Thanks for the post.

For point 4, that only seems to apply to London. The most of the rest of the country is a mess transport wise. The local Bus firm has got some "new" busses. They are ex London and 14 year old. The service isn't frequent and is expensive. The public transport in the north of England isn't a batch on Brisbane's services.

No, most of the rest of the country is not a mess transport wise.

Glad you enjoyed it , wait till you see Europe ...stunning ....everything you could want ...u.k is as good as anywhere as a base

No, most of the rest of the country is not a mess transport wise.

Couldn't quote about the north ...but our local bus service is good ,lots of routes ,and chiltern railways that run ..brum ,Solihull London are the dogs doo dahs...family 4 to London return for 50 quid ,kn a brand new train with internet access takes some beating

We have also just been back to the UK for a few weeks, the first time in 10 years we have been back and we used Buses, trains, hire cars and taxi's ,all were pretty great, clean and reliable and none over expensive at all. The thing we and the kids noticed was how fast everyone drove compared to here, even the driver of a tour bus in London ! lol, it was like he had a death wish and had never heard of give way, constantly pulling out on cars and having near misses and screaming matches with the other drivers through the windows,lol. All in though, i was quite impressed with the public transport both up North and in London.

Cal x

To balance your post cal ...i find the people in the south east ,in the main ...rude .

I have visited most places In the u.k ,and had looked at Devon as a place to live ....but taking everything I to account it has to be the midlands area ...warwickshire,Worcestershire,Herefordshire ( good bet) Shropshire ...and of course Solihull .

Sorry about the crap weather for your visit ....we have had 7 months of the SAME weather...cold ..wet (oh yes we have )..same in December as June ???..mad

For example?

All over the North of England is bad. Compare it to other countries and London and its shocking.

An example of where it isn't a mess ? Well judging by comments on here many places aren't a mess. I can add Herefordshire and Bath as other examples and don't forget I grew up in Australia so I'm very familiar with the situation there.

An example of where it isn't a mess ? Well judging by comments on here many places aren't a mess. I can add Herefordshire and Bath as other examples and don't forget I grew up in Australia so I'm very familiar with the situation there.

Manybe it's just up North where its poor. Manchester and the surrounding areas is a good example. The train services operated by Northern Rail are poor, over crowded, expensive and unreliable. The pacer trains are a nightmare. Literally a bus body and a train carriage. They are sending old London Underground trains to Manchester. The bus service is OK in the center but into the outer towns its poor. The Tram is ok but slow for the outer towns. For example it takes 45 mins - 1 hour to get from Rochdale to Manchester. It takes 20 mins on the train and the number 17 bus is quicker than the tram.

Manybe it's just up North where its poor. Manchester and the surrounding areas is a good example. The train services operated by Northern Rail are poor, over crowded, expensive and unreliable. The pacer trains are a nightmare. Literally a bus body and a train carriage. They are sending old London Underground trains to Manchester. The bus service is OK in the center but into the outer towns its poor. The Tram is ok but slow for the outer towns. For example it takes 45 mins - 1 hour to get from Rochdale to Manchester. It takes 20 mins on the train and the number 17 bus is quicker than the tram.

Yes you could be right. Having used trains in Brisbane I wouldn't be saying too much though lol.

To balance your post cal ...i find the people in the south east ,in the main ...rude .

I have visited most places In the u.k ,and had looked at Devon as a place to live ....but taking everything I to account it has to be the midlands area ...warwickshire,Worcestershire,Herefordshire ( good bet) Shropshire ...and of course Solihull .

Sorry about the crap weather for your visit ....we have had 7 months of the SAME weather...cold ..wet (oh yes we have )..same in December as June ???..mad

The weather was great most of the time i have no complaints and was very surprised tbh,even Amsterdam was lovely and warm,, the reality check was coming back home to this cold winter weather !!lol

Cal x

The weather was great most of the time i have no complaints and was very surprised tbh,even Amsterdam was lovely and warm,, the reality check was coming back home to this cold winter weather !!lol

Cal x

Well you were lucky then ...i walked the dog ,in the park yesterday with my wellies on .....think amsterdams good ? ...you need to see the rest .

Off to my favourite spot ,northern Italy in a couple of weeks ....love it

Depends where you live, you live in the City of Brisbane,there's a bus service.Live outside of Brisbane and theres No Bus service At ALL. Infact there isn't even any town water.Thousands still have Tank water and rely on the rain,for their water supply.Everything In Australia is reflected on What Cities have.Outside the Cities there isn't a reliable mobile phone network,The TV keeps dropping out no signal,and the new NBN is no better than the Wifi we had just twice the cost. When i lived in the North East. i could catch a bus or train anywhere in the UK.In fact i worked on the National Express.

Depends where you live, you live in the City of Brisbane,there's a bus service.Live outside of Brisbane and theres No Bus service At ALL. Infact there isn't even any town water.Thousands still have Tank water and rely on the rain,for their water supply.Everything In Australia is reflected on What Cities have.Outside the Cities there isn't a reliable mobile phone network,The TV keeps dropping out no signal,and the new NBN is no better than the Wifi we had just twice the cost. When i lived in the North East. i could catch a bus or train anywhere in the UK.In fact i worked on the National Express.

Are you telling us that outside of the big cities in the UK that every village and every hamlet has a bus service? and that every house/home has perfect phone and tv reception?

Yes you could be right. Having used trains in Brisbane I wouldn't be saying too much though lol.

Yeah absolutely awful trains from here:

Run every 3-4 minutes at peak time to the city

WIFI

Air Con

Can get a seat

Just awful. Obviously a much superior experience out in Shropshire/Herefordshire no doubt.