Renew British passport question

brian2010

Hi guys

I need to renew my British passport here as it is expiring soon.

6 months ago I received my Aussie passport , so I'm dual national now!

It says that for Dual nationals renewing your British passport that you must send a colour photocopy of your other passport, so I presumed its a colour copy of the main page with details, photo, etc.

Also read that every page must be sent , even blank pages!

So do I have to print of all 48pages of my Aussie passport, even though I haven't used it yet!? Seems a lot to ask for!

Hi guys

It says that for Dual nationals renewing your British passport that you must send a colour photocopy of your other passport, so I presumed its a colour copy of the main page with details, photo, etc.

So do I have to print of all 48pages of my Aussie passport, even though I haven't used it yet!? Seems a lot to ask for!

Do you need to renew it?

Yes

We have both but tend to let them expire unless we have travel planned. You need an Australian passport to travel to Australia if Australian citizen, but I thought you could temporarily enter UK on an Australian passport if British? At least my sister did.

It's so much easier to travel in the UK (or the EU) with a British passport. Sure you can get in, but it takes much longer and requires paperwork (if I remember correctly) British citizens don't need to fill in. Sure, getting a new passport is a bit of a hassle, but they last ten years. I'll be renewing mine soon.

Hi guys

Just don't bother, the British passport office don't know that you are a dual citizen and they don't need your Australian passport for any real reason.

Guest Dave53

I certainly didnt copy all the pages of my Aussie passport when I renewed my UK one , and I had no problems at all .. But certainly renew it despite all the advise that you don't need to, thats unless you are happy to wait in long queues at UK entry points , and then find you are time restricted on your stay ..

Agree - don't bother with photocopying the Australian passport.

I didnt mention that I had one on my British renewal because I wasn't inclined to photocopy all those pages ( for what possible reason do they want it?). Plus it would have cost a fortune to mail them all with all that added weight.

There was no problem. I got my new British passport back within a couple of weeks. My OH did the same six months later with no problems either.

Hi guys

I've also a dual citizen with British and Australian passports and I just renewed my British one (in the UK). The requirements for renewing it in the UK are that you actually have to send off any other passports you hold (or supply colour photocopies of every page, if you can give a good reason as to why you can't / don't want to send in your foreign passport - although it's unclear what they'd accept as a good reason, presumably the need to travel on it).

I was a bit shocked at the new requirements and initially my view was "it's none of their business what other passports I hold" and I wasn't really comfortable posting it to the UK Passport office. On reflection though, I didn't really want to be lying on a passport renewal form and you never know when it might come to light that you hold a foreign passport, but didn't declare it. Governments are constantly sharing info with each other, so it is possible that you'd be caught out if you don't declare it now. If you're renewing it in Oz and people are just required to supply a colour photocopy of all pages (rather than sending them your actual Oz passport) I'd just do that - it's not exactly a massive inconvenience. Just means standing at a photocopier for 5/10 mins rather than 1 minute to copy just the passport details page. The reason they want to see all pages is to see what stamps (if any) people have. They also want to know if British citizens hold another citizenship (you can't strip someone of British citizenship unless they have another citizenship to fall back on). All seems to be part of anti-terrorism measures....

In the end the renewal was quick and simple - got my passports back within a week (despite turnaround times being stated as 3 weeks).

Guest alansgirlfriend
Hi guys

Hello ?

I applied for a UK passport for my 4 year old who also holds an Australian passport and yes you have to photocopy the whole passport in colour, every page. I was very happy with the whole process. Only took 3 weeks and her passport was sent by courier right to my front door!

Good luck !

Just don't bother, the British passport office don't know that you are a dual citizen and they don't need your Australian passport for any real reason.

Actually, there is a real reason: they want to know if you've been traveling backwards and forwards to Syria. It would show up if you only had a British passport, but dual citizens can make sure it is their other passport that is used for any dodgy countries that they don't want to seen entering.

That makes sense. A colour photocopy isn't that expensive (or if you know someone with a colour printer) and you can fit 4 pages on a page of A4.

Shall remember this for future reference too :)

• 4 months later...
Hi guys

Where are you based? I renewed mine in Canberra without any great problems.