My Experience of Perth (and Australia) Before I Depart

Progressive

Hello all,

I have been a regular reader but relatively infrequent poster over the past few years. I thought that I would give a quick run-down of my experience for current and future forum users, as my Australian chapter is coming to an end. I have found the content on this site useful so it would be nice to pay it forward. All of the below is just my personal opinion of course, and is only observed from my perspective as I have lived it.

Summary of my Australia experience

Became interested in a move to Australia – Late 2012

Job and 457 visa secured – Early 2012

Headed out to Australia – Mid 2012

Leaving Australia – Late 2015

Reason for leaving – Job opportunity overseas, looking for a change of scenery.

Details of my experience

Overall, what a fantastic experience! Having never really considered moving to Australia, I was offered a relevant job which I decided to take. I moved from my rented flat in UK with my girlfriend and a suicase each. The financial package was fairly good, I would say comfortable. My employer arranged the visa, flights and temporary accomodation. My other half secured a good position also within two weeks of arriving. This put our joint income up to very comfortable. We came with quite high expectations, but Perth has exceeded these many times over. These have been the best years of our lives, though have admittedly started to seem more ‘normal life’ as time has gone by.

Pros observed:

• Perth is a great city to live and work in. The lifestyle really suited us. I think the average person would struggle to completely dislike Perth.

• Despite being expensive for many things, we found there was a lot happening on the weekends for free or cheap. You can be entertained whatever your budget, if you’re flexible.

• Despite its questionable reputation on here, the 457 visa generally worked for us. Specifically the speed of being issued it (within a week of application), the ability to withdraw our super upon departure and the benefit of being able to bring a defacto (unmarried) partner on the visa.

• We had the opportunity to travel quite a bit around Australia. Did all of the main cities, Whitsundays and Barrier Reef.

• I always liked (and still do) the positive and upbeat attitude in Australia generally. The people, the media (usually), the service, the attitudes.

• The healthcare system. No complaints. We used (quite extensively) the public system and have no real complaints.

• As a cyclist, apart from the odd impatient driver, the climate and infrastucture in Perth is to die for.

• The country town mentality.

Cons observed:

• After 3.5 years, we did begin to grow tired of what Perth had to offer as a late-20s couple. Partially the place, partially our attitudes. We started going abroad for holidays more and started to look for other opportunities to move on.

• The pool of people here seems very transient, as expected. Many people who we had a bond with subsequently left. We found it harder to make new friends after being here some time when the novelty had worn off.

• The 457 has a few negatives too. You are pretty much ‘over a barrel’ with your employer, no doubt. This is reflected by our remunerations, which never really changed. I would put this mainly down to being on an ‘employer-dependent’ visa. With that said, you can move to another employer fairly easily should you (and they) wish. I had a couple of opportunities but decided to stay put in the end. Once 'the downturn' came, my phone stopped ringing anyway.

• Whilst we have not been particularly affected, with the exception of getting not much in the way of pay rises, the natural resources slow-down is noticeable. This has changed the atmosphere in the workplace but also the city generally. Things are clearly less bouyant and more people are struggling.

• The nightlife is lacking compared to other major cities. This didn’t really affect us and I actually took a real shine to the vast selection of bars around the city and suburbs. I could see how this would be a negative for people coming from bigger cities or who like lively night life.

• Perth (and maybe Australia generally) still has a ‘jobs for the boys’ attitude in the workplace. Not bitter about this at all, as we have always been comfortable, but quite a few people I have worked with have been under-qualified and elevated into roles because of people they know rather than what they are able to do. Some people I know have struggled against this with not much luck. The same would probably apply to me if I was out of work.

• I honestly think that despite our comfortable income and future earning potential, we would struggle to make a go of it here for the long tem, if we were looking for a reasonably good quality of life. The majority of people I know are in their early to mid-30s and can’t get on the housing ladder for example, or are moving into two bed places miles away from the city. ‘Cut your cloth accordingly’ and all that, but generally I think that its quite difficult to put down roots here financially as a migrant if you are trying to replicate what you could have elsewhere.

• If you lose your job and can’t find another one, it appears to me that things get tough very quickly.

• We always lived in the Western suburbs, which has been great (though pricey). I really don't like more 'suburban' areas (which I see as the majority of Perth) and find the extreme north and south Perth suburbs quite souless and depressing. The reality is though, if we decided to stay and buy, this is where we'd be heading.

Conclusion:

Perth is great if you like a laid back lifestyle and have a secure job(s) with a good income. This ultimately made the experience for us. I know that people get by on a budget, but being poor here would be a lot worse than being poor in my home country (UK) in my opinion. If you can do a few years (or more) here without bankrupting yourself, I would say "go for it". Either way, it will likely be an amzing experience. If you need to stake your home and everything you own and are not sure how it will pan out, I would think carefully. I have seen a few people in a financial / family / personal mess due to taking a risk that hasn't paid off.

That's all folks. Thanks again. Enjoy Australia, or wherever you are or may be headed. I will check the thread occassionally in case anyone has specific questions or needs further context.

All the best...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for a great, honest, balanced post!

To be fair, the only reason the 457 visa has a bad rep here is that so many people get one thinking it's a stepping-stone to permanent residency - and while that sometimes works, it's far from guaranteed. It's sad to see someone uproot their whole family, sell their home, disrupt their kids' education etc in the belief they're going to "make a new life", only to find they're forced to return three or four years later.

As you've found, I think the shorter visas, like the WHV and the 457, area great opportunity for younger people with no ties. Enjoy your next adventure whatever it is!

Really good post. Despite never having visited Perth your summary gave me probably the best insight into life there of any posts I have seen on here so I think this should be an invaluable read for young people and families considering the move there and wondering whether it is for them.

Sounds like you came with the right attitude and leaving the same way. All the best for the future.

A truthful sum up, just facts as you see it.

Move to a new country, with no family or friends. Then its sink or swim!!

mixture of hard work and good luck.

Perth is a good place. If you can get all the rest of the jigsaw of life to work.

I personally found, even at an older age, a really easy place to get a mortgage, we got a mortgage easier here, than trying to remortgage with a bank we had been with for years in the UK

Perth can wear thin. Although of course it has its advantages cost remains a severe disincentive. It is not exactly difficult to get a mortgage in a low interest rate economy, if in a job. Whether you get a 'good deal' on the over priced housing is another thing of course. House prices down 6.6% + so far this year. Negative equity an increasing likelihood for many.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello all,

I have been a regular reader but relatively infrequent poster over the past few years. I thought that I would give a quick run-down of my experience for current and future forum users, as my Australian chapter is coming to an end. I have found the content on this site useful so it would be nice to pay it forward. All of the below is just my personal opinion of course, and is only observed from my perspective as I have lived it.

Details of my experience

Overall, what a fantastic experience! Having never really considered moving to Australia, I was offered a relevant job which I decided to take. I moved from my rented flat in UK with my girlfriend and a suicase each. The financial package was fairly good, I would say comfortable. My employer arranged the visa, flights and temporary accomodation. My other half secured a good position also within two weeks of arriving. This put our joint income up to very comfortable. We came with quite high expectations, but Perth has exceeded these many times over. These have been the best years of our lives, though have admittedly started to seem more ‘normal life’ as time has gone by.

Pros observed:

• Perth is a great city to live and work in. The lifestyle really suited us. I think the average person would struggle to completely dislike Perth.

• Despite being expensive for many things, we found there was a lot happening on the weekends for free or cheap. You can be entertained whatever your budget, if you’re flexible.

• Despite its questionable reputation on here, the 457 visa generally worked for us. Specifically the speed of being issued it (within a week of application), the ability to withdraw our super upon departure and the benefit of being able to bring a defacto (unmarried) partner on the visa.

• We had the opportunity to travel quite a bit around Australia. Did all of the main cities, Whitsundays and Barrier Reef.

• I always liked (and still do) the positive and upbeat attitude in Australia generally. The people, the media (usually), the service, the attitudes.

• The healthcare system. No complaints. We used (quite extensively) the public system and have no real complaints.

• As a cyclist, apart from the odd impatient driver, the climate and infrastucture in Perth is to die for.

Cons observed:

• After 3.5 years, we did begin to grow tired of what Perth had to offer as a late-20s couple. Partially the place, partially our attitudes. We started going abroad for holidays more and started to look for other opportunities to move on.

• The pool of people here seems very transient, as expected. Many people who we had a bond with subsequently left. We found it harder to make new friends after being here some time when the novelty had worn off.

• The 457 has a few negatives too. You are pretty much ‘over a barrel’ with your employer, no doubt. This is reflected by our remunerations, which never really changed. I would put this mainly down to being on an ‘employer-dependent’ visa. With that said, you can move to another employer fairly easily should you (and they) wish. I had a couple of opportunities but decided to stay put in the end. Once 'the downturn' came, my phone stopped ringing anyway.

• Whilst we have not been particularly affected, with the exception of getting not much in the way of pay rises, the natural resources slow-down is noticeable. This has changed the atmosphere in the workplace but also the city generally. Things are clearly less bouyant and more people are struggling.

• The nightlife is lacking compared to other major cities. This didn’t really affect us and I actually took a real shine to the vast selection of bars around the city and suburbs. I could see how this would be a negative for people coming from bigger cities or who like lively night life.

• Perth (and maybe Australia generally) still has a ‘jobs for the boys’ attitude in the workplace. Not bitter about this at all, as we have always been comfortable, but quite a few people I have worked with have been under-qualified and elevated into roles because of people they know rather than what they are able to do. Some people I know have struggled against this with not much luck. The same would probably apply to me if I was out of work.

• I honestly think that despite our comfortable income and future earning potential, we would struggle to make a go of it here for the long tem, if we were looking for a reasonably good quality of life. The majority of people I know are in their early to mid-30s and can’t get on the housing ladder for example, or are moving into two bed places miles away from the city. ‘Cut your cloth accordingly’ and all that, but generally I think that its quite difficult to put down roots here financially as a migrant if you are trying to replicate what you could have elsewhere.

• If you lose your job and can’t find another one, it appears to me that things get tough very quickly.

• We always lived in the Western suburbs, which has been great (though pricey). I really don't like more 'suburban' areas (which I see as the majority of Perth) and find the extreme north and south Perth suburbs quite souless and depressing. The reality is though, if we decided to stay and buy, this is where we'd be heading.

Conclusion:

Perth is great if you like a laid back lifestyle and have a secure job(s) with a good income. This ultimately made the experience for us. I know that people get by on a budget, but being poor here would be a lot worse than being poor in my home country (UK) in my opinion. If you can do a few years (or more) here without bankrupting yourself, I would say "go for it". Either way, it will likely be an amzing experience. If you need to stake your home and everything you own and are not sure how it will pan out, I would think carefully. I have seen a few people in a financial / family / personal mess due to taking a risk that hasn't paid off.

That's all folks. Thanks again. Enjoy Australia, or wherever you are or may be headed. I will check the thread occassionally in case anyone has specific questions or needs further context.

All the best...

This a great and honest opinion of Perth. Although i would love to know where you got great service, we find it generally appalling in restauraunts etc,lol hey ho, good luckwith your next adventure :wink:

Hello all,

Details of my experience

Pros observed:

Cons observed:

Conclusion:

All the best...

what a lovely positive post! I'm in the UK planning the big move. Lots of luck to you with the next chapter :-)

• 5 months later...

Hello all,

I find myself drawn back to the forum and in particular my previous post. It has provided a good reflection of where I was, where I am and where I am going. As such…

Six months after leaving update

So, six months on. Did we make the right decision to move on from Perth? The answer is… Yes, definitely. We moved back to Europe but not UK. I had a job before moving, my partner found a suitable job two months after arriving; quite similar to when we were headed to Perth. This has seen a step up in career for both of us and a significant jump in our current earnings and future earning potential. We wouldn’t have achieved this within the next five years in Perth, without some very good luck. This reflects the ‘slowed’ economy at present in WA and the relative buoyancy of the economy in Europe.

More importantly, what about my relationship with Australia? I still read Perth Now nearly every day, check the weather occasionally and am always interested (and sometimes jealous) of hearing what my friends still in Perth are up to at the weekend. I have fantastic memories of Perth (and Australia) which will stay with me forever however, since before I even got on the flight to leave I am certainly operating in ‘rose tinted glasses’ mode. With that said, I am under no illusions that we had it very good in Perth, as I set out at the start of this thread. We have it good now too, but in different aspects of life. I found life in Perth ‘easier’ but less rewarding. I always had this perception, but eventually the need for a challenge outweighed the laid back lifestyle.

Would I return to Perth? The answer is yes, though with the big consideration of it being with a secure, very well paid job. I would want an even better lifestyle than last time, with the ability to travel back to Europe more regularly. Personally, I don’t think it could match the financial viability of elsewhere now, but I would be willing to re-assess if the right opportunity arose. Interestingly, my partner says that she wouldn’t like to go back, as some things are better held as (amazing) memories. I agree that the potential to be disappointed if we went back is greatly increased. As mentioned previously, the thought of a house in an anonymous suburb on the outskirts of Perth thing is massively uninspiring and even frightening for me, so it may never be possible. This remains to be seen.

Would I return to elsewhere in Australia? Realistically, no. I really took a shine to Perth and whilst I enjoyed visiting other places, it was only Perth where I could see myself settling. The east coast, or what I saw of it, just wasn’t ‘for me’. Nor was rural Australia; nice to see, but just not me.

Would I move back to Australia ‘forever’? No. I never felt like I belonged there (at all) to be honest, though admittedly I never went with the intention to become completely integrated. The attitude at the outset has a big effect on success of this. I thoroughly enjoyed myself but never saw myself as there forever. The long-term cons outweighed the long-term pros for me; they did then and still do now. Specifically, (a) too far from the other important places in my life, (b) a general feeling of being an insular place which was good short-term but not for me longer-term, © I felt it would be difficult to put down roots financially and emotionally.

In conclusion, I feel closer to Perth (and Australia) now I have left. I think I will have a long standing relationship with this amazing country. Whilst it sounds cliché, I genuinely felt a connection to Perth from the moment I arrived until the moment I left, but it just wasn’t forever. From my personal experience, the place is a symbol of freedom, being independent, an adventure and really being a blank canvas to do what you want to do. I went when I was young, free and full of energy. I was met with a place which converted this into a sustainable and solid foundation from which to enjoy life.

I would go so far as saying Perth is one of the best places I have ever been and has an almost magical feel to it which is hard to describe*.

Absolute best of luck to anyone making the move, loving life in Oz, maybe not loving it so much or anyone looking to move on in the coming months or years.

Best years of my life, 100%. God bless Perth.

*An example of this… After being in Perth around nine months I was feeling pretty settled and content. I had been out with a few friends for drinks and finished up about 2.00am. It was a warm summer’s night, I left my mates, jumped in a taxi and headed for home. Driving along in the taxi with the windows down, Aussie late night radio on and the usual conversation with the driver, I felt possibly as content as I ever have before and thought to myself simply… “life is fantastic”.

Boy, I've really enjoyed reading this, I agree with others, it will be a good post for people who are looking for pros and cons, although I can understand that everyone's life is different.

May I ask, if not too rude, what industries you and your partner are in?

I have heard that it is nigh on impossible to secure a role with a company before arriving (unless you were sponsored of course!).

I myself are very much looking to seeing what Perth has to offer. I will go in with eyes extremely open (matchsticks in!) and try to spend at least a year before I make any hard calls.

Thank you again for your post and please do keep posting updates.

I had the same urge to go to Perth. Went for a two week holiday and couldn't wait to leave. Was bored after two weeks!! There was nothing really there that I could see was worth the move from the UK.

Sorry your holiday was so disappointing - whereabouts in Perth did you stay?

We were near the center staying with friends. After two weeks we had done all the touristy things worth only doing once and couldn't see anything else of interest. After seeing a 6 foot long snake crawl out of the sea on Cottesloe beach that us put off going to the beach and in the sea!! Sorry Perth, nice to look at but a dearth of intetesting and varied things to do, and now a serious lack of jobs to boot!

I had the same urge to go to Perth. Went for a two week holiday and couldn't wait to leave. Was bored after two weeks!! There was nothing really there that I could see was worth the move from the UK.

Speaking frankly, your logic is flawed in my opinion. Realistically, you would be bored in a traditional sense in most cities after two weeks. Going on holiday somewhere and living somewhere is (obviously) a very different experience. With that said, it does heavily depend on your interests. I would agree (as mentioned in my original post) that after a couple of years we felt like Perth was running out of thing to offer us, but even then it was head and shoulders above our place of origin and life was very comfortable.

Perth may not be the most exciting city in the world, or even in Australia, but it is definitely one of the most liveable cities in the world. How liveable a city is should come ahead of how exciting a city is when considering where to settle in my opinion. I think Hanoi, Hong Kong and Singapore are fantastic cities, which would keep me extremely entertained for months and months. I wouldn’t like to live in any of them though.

Boy, I've really enjoyed reading this, I agree with others, it will be a good post for people who are looking for pros and cons, although I can understand that everyone's life is different.

May I ask, if not too rude, what industries you and your partner are in?

I have heard that it is nigh on impossible to secure a role with a company before arriving (unless you were sponsored of course!).

I myself are very much looking to seeing what Perth has to offer. I will go in with eyes extremely open (matchsticks in!) and try to spend at least a year before I make any hard calls.

Thank you again for your post and please do keep posting updates.

I work in an (office based) engineering discipline which was (and still is) on the skills shortage list. I secured a job (and therefore a sponsored 457 visa) before travelling. I received two offers from two interviews. This was at a time when the market was significantly more buoyant, therefore I assume it wouldn't be as easy now, but still possible. Of my peers, I would say 50% came via this route, the other 50% travelled without a job to keep their options open and perhaps be able to command a better package once physically on the ground. It all depends on your risk profile and current situation. My partner works in marketing so quite a transferable area to be in. She had four interviews within a couple of weeks which culminated in two offers, one which she accepted. We are both educated to degree level with relevant experience and, importantly, the drive, ability and confidence to sell ourselves to potential employers!

We were near the center staying with friends. After two weeks we had done all the touristy things worth only doing once and couldn't see anything else of interest. After seeing a 6 foot long snake crawl out of the sea on Cottesloe beach that us put off going to the beach and in the sea!! Sorry Perth, nice to look at but a dearth of intetesting and varied things to do, and now a serious lack of jobs to boot!

Whilst I no longer have a dog in the 'Perth vs. Perth' fight, there are plenty of things worth doing beyond a couple of weeks, with something to suit everyone. Here are a very mixed handful of examples which could keep you busy throughout the year. Some (most) I highly enjoyed, others less so, but all certainly good Perth experiences to tick off and things you can easily cycle monthly:

• Catch a (free) weekly Sunday evening Jazz concert one of the Subiaco / Shenton Parks over the summer months with a bottle of wine and cheese board.

• Cycle the (60km+) perfectly smooth cycle paths around the Swan River in shorts and t-shirt, for over nine months of the year.

• Enjoy a pizza and a beer at Little Creatures in Fremantle.

• Bar crawl the quirky laneway bars of the CBD and Northbridge. Could easily name 20+.

• Afternoon tea at The Duxton or C Restaurant.

• Throw down a blanket at Kings Park and enjoy the sunset over the city.

• Rooftop yoga at 6.00am as the sun comes up at the rooftop cinema venue.

• Eat amazing Vietnamese, Thai or Japanese cuisine.

• Swan Valley wine tour.

• Various outdoor cinemas.

• Go for a hike in the bush around Kalamunda.

• Research the history of WA with the extensive resources at Perth library.

• Volunteer a few spare hours to the amazing selection of charities based in Perth.

• Beaufort Street, Angove Street, Mt. Hawthorn festivals.

• Watch a top-flight AFL / cricket / basketball / soccer match.

• Go to a comedy night at The Astor in Mt. Lawley.

• Spend an afternoon in the fantastic Art Gallery of WA.

• Go to the ballet at Her Majesty’s Theatre.

• Breakfast and coffee at one of over 100 amazing local cafes.

… all in a safe, friendly and respectful environment. I am happy to give recommendations for any of the above!

As for the snakes, I saw one (dead) snake and about four redbacks over my four years in Perth. You seriously have more chance of injured by a shopping trolley crashing into you in Woolworths than by being bitten by a snake. Furthermore, there is anti-venom for all snakes in Australia now I believe, so the chances of actually being seriously hurt are extremely slim, unless you have an pre-existing serious health issue. It definitely doesn’t warrant not using the beaches in WA.

It sounds like your mind was already made up by that point and you were thinking with ‘confirmation bias’, which is human nature and which we are all guilty of. I know I am at times.

Edited by Progressive