Decided to escape

pomstar

As a long time reader, first time poster I decided I should finally contribute my thoughts on why I'm leaving. Brace yourself if you have willingly assimilated into Aus life :wacko:.

My situation: Professional, married (not aussie) with kid, live in Sydney, seen most of Aus due to job. Been here 10 years and will be leaving within the next 12 months.

I find the thought of staying here forever very depressing and for some time I've felt like I'm isolated and missing out on real life somewhere else in the real world and that every concept/service/product/event/etc is just a lousy copy of something out of UK/Europe/America i.e. there is no original cutting edge thinking/innovation in Aus.

Being from UK, I find the underlying problem with Australia is that it feels like an incomplete country and lacking in soul - scratch beneath the glossy plastic surface of their immigration brochure and there is nothing further to see. Incomplete in that the lack of history, constant dumbing down of everything and nannying by government creates a shallow existence for the locals who seem to do as they're told, never question, think little and only focus on material new stuff. This in turn creates a majority of individuals that, to me, are like apathetic cardboard cut outs of real people - they lack a fully developed personality and their goals are very simplistic and materialistic. If you have personality here, you will intimidate a lot of locals during conversation (if you can actually get conversation momentum going) - quite easy to spot as their eyes glaze over. They think personality & character means adopting some over animated wooden caricature of the white anglo nation’s expectations of, for example, a footballer, or slapstick comedian, shock jock, tough guy, news reporter, intellectual and so on i.e. lots of people with the same wooden personality. You only need to look at the TV personalities to confirm it – they’re second rate.

People who love Australia are usually a combination of thick skinned, materialistic, lack good taste, don’t appreciate culture/the arts/history (indigenous history is not aussie)/architecture or have come from a lower socio economic background/place in their home country which they resent/blame (chip on shoulder type - say home country has "gone to the dogs" , etc). The latter are the aussies' favourite immigrant because they don't challenge them and actually (and I think it really demonstrates a weak mind) try to adopt the aussie accent/swagger.

The parochialism, blind nationalism and ignorant “aus is best” mentality is also intolerable as is the nanny state approach to everything which the locals just seem to accept.

Time to start planning a well deserved escape (and no, I won't let the door hit me on the way out for all you hilarious types).

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who love Australia are usually a combination of thick skinned, materialistic, lack good taste, don’t appreciate culture/the arts/history (indigenous history is not aussie)/architecture or have come from a lower socio economic background/place in their home country which they resent/blame (chip on shoulder type - say home country has "gone to the dogs" , etc). The latter are the aussies' favourite immigrant because they don't challenge them and actually (and I think it really demonstrates a weak mind) try to adopt the aussie accent/swagger.

Brilliant! :wacko: How did you get to meet all these people who love Australia and how do you know that they come from a lower socio economic background and the rest of the drivel that you attempt to tarnish them with?

I reckon they'll hear the door slam in NZ when you leave. Let me know your departure date so that I can cheer as you go.

Brilliant! :wacko: How did you get to meet all these people who love Australia and how do you know that they come from a lower socio economic background and the rest of the drivel that you attempt to tarnish them with?

I reckon they'll hear the door slam in NZ when you leave. Let me know your departure date so that I can cheer as you go.

I said OR from a lower socio economic background, etc, etc.

Out of curiosity what do you think of England?

As a long time reader, first time poster I decided I should finally contribute my thoughts on why I'm leaving. Brace yourself if you have willingly assimilated into Aus life :wacko:.

My situation: Professional, married (not aussie) with kid, live in Sydney, seen most of Aus due to job. Been here 10 years and will be leaving within the next 12 months.

I find the thought of staying here forever very depressing and for some time I've felt like I'm isolated and missing out on real life somewhere else in the real world and that every concept/service/product/event/etc is just a lousy copy of something out of UK/Europe/America i.e. there is no original cutting edge thinking/innovation in Aus.

Being from UK, I find the underlying problem with Australia is that it feels like an incomplete country and lacking in soul - scratch beneath the glossy plastic surface of their immigration brochure and there is nothing further to see. Incomplete in that the lack of history, constant dumbing down of everything and nannying by government creates a shallow existence for the locals who seem to do as they're told, never question, think little and only focus on material new stuff. This in turn creates a majority of individuals that, to me, are like apathetic cardboard cut outs of real people - they lack a fully developed personality and their goals are very simplistic and materialistic. If you have personality here, you will intimidate a lot of locals during conversation (if you can actually get conversation momentum going) - quite easy to spot as their eyes glaze over. They think personality & character means adopting some over animated wooden caricature of the white anglo nation’s expectations of, for example, a footballer, or slapstick comedian, shock jock, tough guy, news reporter, intellectual and so on i.e. lots of people with the same wooden personality. You only need to look at the TV personalities to confirm it – they’re second rate.

The parochialism, blind nationalism and ignorant “aus is best” mentality is also intolerable as is the nanny state approach to everything which the locals just seem to accept.

Time to start planning a well deserved escape (and no, I won't let the door hit me on the way out for all you hilarious types).

Thanks for tarring us all with the same brush :laugh: As if you can't find materialistic, people who lack good taste in any other country. Still and all you gave it 10 years so at least you tried.

Good luck! :smile:

What if you like both UK and Oz?

You sound so condescending is your name Mrs Bucket?

And I believe the UK has the most convertible cars per population in the world, so i'm not sure the UK is immune from being materialistic over functionality.

I think we can work out whom has the biggest chip on their shoulder! Australia is Australia and not England, any simple research would of revealed the history of this land and the culture of its present peoples. However just because you cannot fit in there is no need to run it down in such a way, a simple "it's not for me" would have sufficed and you would have got more repect for it, but you have proved yourself to be a true whinging pom.

Safe and speedy travels.

I think we can work out whom has the biggest chip on their shoulder! Australia is Australia and not England, any simple research would of revealed the history of this land and the culture of its present peoples. However just because you cannot fit in there is no need to run it down in such a way, a simple "it's not for me" would have sufficed and you would have got more repect for it, but you have proved yourself to be a true whinging pom.

Safe and speedy travels.

Surprised he/she stuck it for 10 years. 10 wasted years by the sound of it. No wonder he/she is bitter. Oh well :cool:

No, I reckon he's pretty much bang on - particularly about the individualism and lack of challenging conversation: on general election day or when a PM is deposed I try casually mentioning it in my office, and all I hear about is last night's AFL game... I like individual Aussies, it's just 'society' here that frustrates me.

I too cannot face seeing out my days here - I will claim the Aus pension if it still exists and return home (if not before).

No, I reckon he's pretty much bang on - particularly about the individualism and lack of challenging conversation: on general election day or when a PM is deposed I try casually mentioning it in my office, and all I hear about is last night's AFL game... I like individual Aussies, it's just 'society' here that frustrates me.

I too cannot face seeing out my days here - I will claim the Aus pension if it still exists and return home (if not before).

That's fine but the OP didn't have to be so rude or come across as being better than many of us who are happy here. That's just being arrogant.

Good for some things then?

I don't really notice any difference at work between the 2 countries. Substiture NRL for Premier league and it is very similar.

Must work in the wrong sector to miss out on all these in depth arts and history conversations.

Hi OP! I think I understand where you're coming from!Some people just suit Australia,and some don't and really?Its ok!:cute:Can I offer you a little bit of advice?When you leave,try and remember some good points so that you can look back with some fondness in your heart about that place.I've noticed over the years,people moving either way,sometimes need to focus on all the negative crap to move on so to speak.Its kinder to yourself though if you can think of some positives about the place.Best wishes on your return to the UK,and I hope you find some real happiness and peace.xx