Liable for Medicare Levy after leaving?

Warrat

Hoping someone can help! I'm moving back to the UK after just 12 months in Australia on a PR visa - my DH left 3 months ago due to a job offer in the UK.

He is on a 3 year contract in the UK, after which we may return to Australia. I've cancelled his private medical, but still have mine and am wondering if I should cancel or suspend it - I don't really want to keep paying as it's so expensive! If we cancel and return I'm concerned about the age loading as we are both over 31.

While I've been trying to investigate I've also seen information online, which is not too clear, about permanent residents overseas who do not have private medical insurance in Oz being liable for the Medicare levy, so assume we will still need to complete tax returns as PR never technically expires....so even if we decide not to return - does anyone know or have experience of dealing with private medical and medicare once they've returned to the UK?

We re-instated private medical insurance after a two year stay in the UK. We suspended it with the company before we left. I seem to remember we had to take out cover within a month of re-entering Australia so we didn't have to re-serve waiting periods or break the continuity required for the age loading. That was ten years ago though so check with your private health insurer. I'm sure they would have advice on conditions.