Grass is Greener Syndrome?

MaisieK

I'm desperately seeking ways of moving to Australia but without having a job on the SOL/CSOL I highly doubt it will ever happen.

I suppose I'm just wanting to know whether I'm just assuming that the grass will be greener in oz or whether I would probably be disappointed. I spent time in oz in 2012 on a WHV and fell in love with the place but seem to remember feeling extemely lonely at times, despite the amazing beaches, scenery and everything else I loved about the country.

I'm 25 and have a 10 month old baby but don't really have much family in the UK so I wouldn't really miss anyone (without sounding harsh!).

I know this board is for people moving back to the UK but I'm just interested in finding out the reasons behind wanting to come home and wondered whether anyone went out there expecting to 'live the dream' and discovered it wasn't all it was cracked up to be?

Edited by MaisieK

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lived there for 3 1/2 years had a good experience but I believe that the UK offers greater opportunities. We are so close to Europe & all that it offers. I never went on this forum before I went to Oz searching for answers. We are all different and come from different experiences. Been back for nearly four years now & have no regrets my children gained some good friends but they have excelled since returning!

There is definitely a strong sense if grass is greener amongst many would be migrants. There are also a lot of actual migrants that do end up preferring to live in Australia. I would never interpret that to mean it is better though, just that some will prefer it.

We came back earlier in the year, to a great extent because of better work options and because we could not get the home stability we wanted in Sydney (still renting after five years) and whilst we had always been happy to accept that we were financially worse off, we were getting older and just didn't think it could go on forever.

We never went expecting to "live the dream" though, we went for the experiemce and were not disappointed.

The two countries are in many ways very similar - both first world countries with all the benefits and problems that gives.

In my opinion, as someone happy in either, I would say the grass is no greener in Oz, just a different shade of green. We still work long hours, drag ourselves around the supermarket, do the household stuff and everything else that modern day living needs. We don't sit on the beach with a cold one in our hands. We work the longest hours in the world, life is very expensive!

We have been in Oz over 7 years and may move back to the UK because of work / lack of in Australia.

Right from the start I never expected to dream the dream. I knew right away it would be nose down bum up and just get on with it. However, we were living in Liverpool before moving here and work was scarce in those day for my husband (construction work). He went to work in Germany for a year - shades of Auf Wiedersehen Pet :cute: After that we decided to come to Australia. Never been out of work and now retired.

Just to chime in with my experience:

I moved out to around Australia four years ago. I had a job secured before travelling, which I was happy to accept. The intention was always to come here for a new challenge, and we fully anticipated to end up back in UK within a couple of years. Obviously we are beyond that target now.

We have had it relatively easy the whole time to be honest; found a nice rental and still there, missus got work no problem, joint income is very healthy, active social life. My experience here has probably been better than I expected it to be.

We intend to move back to UK at some point in the coming year, mainly for the following reasons:

- The distance from our ‘real friends’ and family now outweighs the benefits of being so far away, for us. When everything is new and exciting I feel it is easier to deal with this. I now kind of begrudge missing birthdays and weddings etc. when I didn’t before.

- I miss (and always have missed) the history and culture of Europe. I have done loads of great things in Australia and love the landscape and expansiveness but it’s just ‘too far out of the way’.

- Work simply isn’t challenging enough. I have been on easy street for four years. Great when you are enjoying an busy lifestyle outside of work but now I am ‘going through the motions’ it can be mind-numbing at times. Many of my peers feel the same.

I must say though, I came here for employment, and as an aside really fell in love with the place. I had no real desire to move to Australia before I got the job offer. I wouldn’t have come without a job, or unless I thought I could secure one quickly. Money was also an objective and despite the plummeting rate and high cost of living we have done pretty well.

I have never felt ‘at home’ here and as time goes on I actually feel less connected to the place. I have had a few negative experiences (nothing major I may add) that have made me feel an outsider and confirmed that I will never be able to call this place home.

Australia has been great to us, and I would recommend it, depending on circumstances. In good employment with a good income it is a lot easier. Not to say you can’t do it on a budget, many do. Though being on the other side of the world, miles from family, in a potentially soulless new build suburb without much of a financial incentive to make it worthwhile… I’m not sure. Some people I see (and know) are really struggling to get by. The stories of people saying “I’d love to go back but can’t afford it” must be a nightmare situation to be in.

In conclusion, I prefer the lifestyle in Oz to what I had in UK. I couldn’t think of many better places to be in terms of daily life. But there is a few important (to me) things missing which I could tolerate for a while but not for ever.

As an addition and probably mainly related to Perth, I spent the first year in Perth without a car. As such I was mainly in the metropolitan area or places on the train lines. Suburbs with bars, restaurants, boutique shops etc.

The first time I went into a proper residential suburb was about a year in, and my reaction was “if this is where I had initially landed, I’d have been away by now”. Walking into the highlight of many of the Perth suburbs, a Westfield (or similar) shopping centre, is such a grim experience in my opinion. They all look and even smell the same. With the same old fashioned shops and food courts. It’s like going back to the 80’s in many cases. I feel almost a pity for people having to be there in all honesty. And ironically, I’m not a fan on ultra-modern shopping centres by any means. These places just give me a negative feeling.

Not an attack on Perth, WA or Australia generally as I have a lot of time for the place. A great lifestyle can be had here. I’m one of many that have really enjoyed it.

The point I’m trying to make is I just feel like ‘tourist Australia’ and ‘living in Australia’ is dramatically different, and at times it can be pretty bleak. Same as many other places in that respect though, no doubt.

I loathe shopping centres. There aren't any where I live now and I don't miss them at all. I've got better things to do rather than wander round a Westfield :dull:

I love my local shopping mall back in the UK (Meadowhall, for those that know it). V easy to spend a day n night in there, shops open late, cinema, loads of upmarket eating and drinking places. A everything you need under one roof place.

The difference for me, is in the UK during downtime, your having to do something, wether its shopping, DIY etc, here we do more exploring and just chilling. Get up, throw some stuff in an esky, head to the beach, or out in the car to somewhere new.

We all love wearing summer clothes, easy stuff, a day out is cheap. No time for that DIY nonsense, that can wait:wink:

Both countries offer different things to different people.Experiences will be different of course too,which shape your own opinion of places.Westfields?lol I actually never minded going to a Westfield.I'm not big on shopping,and usually have better things to do,but when the weather is either too cold or hot,atleast in a Westfield,once you're in one,you are undercover!

Fifi,not sure I understand your comment about downtime in the UK "Having to do something"?I have a lot of spare time myself,where I can choose what I do,and that usually involves exploring new places etc.I actually spent more time at home in Oz.

I couldn't live in a suburb in Australia.That sort of lifestyle just isn't me.I could (and have)live in a small rural town though,which would not suit many people.

fifi I live in South Yorkshire so know Meadowhall very well :)

Thanks for all of your input. I think I've built Australia up to be some kind of utopia in my mind but know that realistically it wouldn't be all beaches, BBQs and sunbathing. I would love to at least give it a try though. I know that I'd always kick myself if I didn't.

Am I being unrealistic to think that I could make it there one day? Is retraining/changing my career the only option I have?

Thanks for all of your input. I think I've built Australia up to be some kind of utopia in my mind but know that realistically it wouldn't be all beaches, BBQs and sunbathing. I would love to at least give it a try though. I know that I'd always kick myself if I didn't.

Am I being unrealistic to think that I could make it there one day? Is retraining/changing my career the only option I have?

i think manyget carried away with the exitment of moving to oz, i did, reality kicks in after about a month when you have done the beach to death and the heat and flies make you want to just sleep in a bath of ice.

I think, like the UK, it depends where you actually go to live. To me , if I had emigrated to Perth, I would have returned very quickly because it feels so dead and soulless to me. That may well be something wrong with me but that is how I feel. May not have lasted in some of the other areas, either.

Can anyone kindly offer advice regarding options I might have? Would it be a case of retraining and praying that my chosen job will be on the SOL/CSOL in a few years?

That realistically is your only option (unless you are single and marry an Aussie!). You would have to choose very carefully as occupations on the SOL change regularly - if you are re-training then make sure it is a career that you do not need sponsorship for.

I have no idea what your skills are but nursing may be a fairly safe bet although often not 'family friendly' especially without support.

As for the grass is greener syndrome, yes absolutely and Australia is no utopia but that's not a reason not to go, there are a lot of people who do prefer Australia (or at least don't hate it enough to return). For me the fact that in the major ways life was just the same, the leisure and entertainment options were limited in the things we like and we had family in the UK who were missing out on our son growing up (as well as missing us) meant we decided to return after 5 years.

That realistically is your only option (unless you are single and marry an Aussie!). You would have to choose very carefully as occupations on the SOL change regularly - if you are re-training then make sure it is a career that you do not need sponsorship for.

I have no idea what your skills are but nursing may be a fairly safe bet although often not 'family friendly' especially without support.

As for the grass is greener syndrome, yes absolutely and Australia is no utopia but that's not a reason not to go, there are a lot of people who do prefer Australia (or at least don't hate it enough to return). For me the fact that in the major ways life was just the same, the leisure and entertainment options were limited in the things we like and we had family in the UK who were missing out on our son growing up (as well as missing us) meant we decided to return after 5 years.

I'm newly single actually so finding an Aussie guy to marry would be ideal haha!

I would love to become a nurse and have thought long and hard about it but I just can't commit to such a time consuming job when my daughter is so young. I'm willing to work my socks off at anything I do but the long working hours etc just wouldn't fit in with being a single mum without much support. Back to the drawing board I suppose. I'd also enjoy social work/counselling but from what I can see, it's kind of hit and miss in Australia?

I'd second nursing (or physiotherapy/speech therapy/radiography). Daughter is a nurse and I reckon grass is much greener in Oz than UK for junior nursing staff (although some senior people I have met have told me its not sufficiently challenging). Australia definitely no utopia - It's pleasant enough, and the weather is a big driver for coming - It makes you happy for a while, and then (if you're me anyway) you think 'I'd rather gloomy weather and friends and family', then a nice beach in the sun on our own..

We come from a lovely part of the UK too (Sussex) which hasn't been much changed by the gfc - People who don't like their original UK place of abode seem to fare better here ('fewer immigrants' - ha - ha, less crime, outdoor lifestyle, living the dream etc) but I don't find any of those reasons to be realistic..... I think if you're willing to work hard, and count your cents (it's not cheap), life can be as good here as in the UK

I'm newly single actually so finding an Aussie guy to marry would be ideal haha!

I would love to become a nurse and have thought long and hard about it but I just can't commit to such a time consuming job when my daughter is so young. I'm willing to work my socks off at anything I do but the long working hours etc just wouldn't fit in with being a single mum without much support. Back to the drawing board I suppose. I'd also enjoy social work/counselling but from what I can see, it's kind of hit and miss in Australia?

Don't even consider counselling but social work would stand you a chance of getting in, though I think it would be very hard to deal with the social problems in a country that you are not familiar with the culture of but I guess people do it.

I worked in social work for three years after doing a psychology degree and it would have been very un-family friendly - I was on 90 hours a week PLUS sleeping duty (at work, on-call but allowed to sleep), it was also a 7 day week rota which would be hard to get childcare for. On the plus side I got 8 weeks holiday a year but then in Australia it is rare for anyone to get for than 4 weeks.

If you seriously consider it I would find out typical working hours/conditions from Social Workers in Australia as I suspect nursing may actually be better.

It is very normal to build a place up in your mind, let's face it if we are planning on going to live in another country we are hardly going to tell ourselves it will just be like living anywhere else. You need to work hard to pay the bills, there is crime, litter, bad weather etc etc. I grew up in Australia but still prefer it here in England, nowhere is for everyone.

As far as you being realistic really only you can answer that. It is a long and expensive process if you don't currently meet the criteria and need to retrain. Good luck with whatever you decide.

My OH is a social worker and is really enjoying work in Australia. Hours fine - 8.30 - 4.30. If you go down this route look into it very carefully - I am pretty sure a degree is required and must include days in practice. Good career if you have the people skills and heaps of patience. Pay is pretty good here for experienced social workers.

I've been thinking about it and I'm considering retraining as a nurse when my little girl starts nursery. I would qualify when I'm 30 so providing Australia still wants nurses then I would have until I'm 32 to get a bit of experience and start the ball rolling. I'd be more than happy being a nurse wherever I am. I know it's not the most family friendly in terms of jobs but what job is?!

I don't know. I'll have to see.

We've seen lots of people on here retrain ....just so they can come to Aus.

i really do Hope your chosen path gives you the opertunity to get here. Its a lovely life:cool:

just adding to it though, know quite a few girls here from the Leeds/Sheffield area, they first came on 457s, now sponsored in their own right on 187s just having CSO (customer service/call centre experience). This has been within the last couple of years. May have changed now.

Thanks fifi.

Would you recommend anything other than nursing as a safe bet to be able to get over there in the next few years? I know it sounds desperate but I am willing to completely change career directions which might seem crazy to some!

I don't fully understand the different types of visas to be honest, so for the 457 visa I wouldn't need a job on the SOL?

Thanks fifi.

Would you recommend anything other than nursing as a safe bet to be able to get over there in the next few years? I know it sounds desperate but I am willing to completely change career directions which might seem crazy to some!

I don't fully understand the different types of visas to be honest, so for the 457 visa I wouldn't need a job on the SOL?

Nursing is one of the more likely options to remain. But there is no guarantee - a lot can change in that time. Hence, you need to train in something you are passionate about regardless of if it results in a move to Oz.

A 457 still requires an occupation on either the SOL or the CSOL. On a positive note, there is not a requirement to do two years experience for nurses. Though, again that can change.

When the time comes though. Do make sure you do real research about the actual job situation for your occupation. Because an occupation is on one of them, it does not mean there are actually jobs. My own occupation is still on, despite us having nearly 40% unemployed.