Advice on the actual move

JazzyAbby

I'm looking for suggestions/advice please in regards to the moving process.

we'll be leaving next July. We rent and our lease ends that month. The kids will be in school holidays.

we are selling basically everything.

Id love to hear from anyone who has done this and what they did. We will have some savings but obviously don't want to spend it all on the moving process. I'm looking for the cheapest possible way to go about this.

we have family we can stay with but I'd only impose on them for maximum two nights.

currently I'm thinking we will have to book into a hotel while we finalise the house. Get carpet cleaners, window cleaners and pest control done then do the final inspection.

Am I making this more complicated than it needs to be? What process has everyone else done?

thanks in advance.

We will maybe have two or three boxes of sentimental items that we'll post to my father in law but other than that we're only taking a suitcase each.

So im also thinking over all the options available to sell our entire household :)

we have actually decided to move to Ireland as it's just easier than going the spouse visa route. I'm staying in this forum incase we change our minds or the referendum changes it for us :)

when are you moving?

I'm Australian, my husband is English and our two kids will have British passports soon. It's easier for Ireland as we can walk right on in and 'exercise treaty rights' I don't need any visas and my husband as a UK citizen gets all the benefits an Irishman would.

to go to the UK I'd need to get the spouse visa which on paper is easy but with two young kids logistically it's a nightmare.

We are going to give Ireland at least 12 months if we don't like it we'll use the surrender Singh route to go to the UK - again so much easier than getting the spouse visa - but we are pretty excited about it and think we may make it home.

it still has all the benefits we are wanting. Closer to family, closer to Europe, more history, sights to see, more culture to emerge the kids in.

Im moving back next week. with three kids in tow. ive have got a medium move cube and im just sending personal items, paper work and kids toys, tvs etc. I went online and checked out the cost of buying them new in the uk compared to the cost of shipping. the move cube came in cheaper than replacing the items.

I will be staying with my dad until I get back on my feet.

Im moving back next week. with three kids in tow. ive have got a medium move cube and im just sending personal items, paper work and kids toys, tvs etc. I went online and checked out the cost of buying them new in the uk compared to the cost of shipping. the move cube came in cheaper than replacing the items.

I will be staying with my dad until I get back on my feet.

Good luck with everything.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking for suggestions/advice please in regards to the moving process.

we'll be leaving next July. We rent and our lease ends that month. The kids will be in school holidays.

we are selling basically everything.

Id love to hear from anyone who has done this and what they did. We will have some savings but obviously don't want to spend it all on the moving process. I'm looking for the cheapest possible way to go about this.

we have family we can stay with but I'd only impose on them for maximum two nights.

currently I'm thinking we will have to book into a hotel while we finalise the house. Get carpet cleaners, window cleaners and pest control done then do the final inspection.

Am I making this more complicated than it needs to be? What process has everyone else done?

thanks in advance.

Hi good luck with your move - July is a great time as it is school hols in Aus and you have 6 weeks to get kids ready to start school in September - also the weather should be lovely to ease you back into it.

Top Tips

I would recommend planning to be ready either one week or even 2 before you fly. Then take a well earned holiday as you will find it very hard work getting everything ready and sold off, all your paperwork done, your plans finalized and then it is even more work to get started again at the other end. I would definitely factor in a break in between the leaving of one country and the arriving of another - especially as you are leaving Australia which has such lovely holiday destination on your doorstep. It might be a financial commitment but your mind and body will appreciate it (especially if you are travelling with kids)

Also never under estimate how long it takes to pack up a home - you do not want to spend your last day in Aus cleaning, cleaning, clearing your rental - you want to have some fun and last memories to take with you :)

We had a house to sell in Australia so we timed it to have a month in a furnished rental in Australia before we moved back - this meant our container got a months head start and we could easily finish our financial affairs in Australia, pay the final utility bills, close credit cards etc. We moved in July and stayed with a friend for a week and then travelled in Scotland for a week staying in Premier Inns by which time our container arrived and we moved into our house (we still owned one in the UK)

Your plan sounds absolutely fine though maybe give yourself a little bit more time after you move out your rental in Australia, you will want to get your deposit back for example - in Perth you will need to get it back from the Government Dept that holds the deposit, I am sure you can do that from the UK but we always went to the office and claimed it in person.

In the MBTTUK group there is a sticky post on how to save money moving to the UK that I started a couple of years ago and others have added to.

Impala I was thinking the timing was perfect season wise. Coming from Perth neither the kids or I really know what cold feels like, I think a slow build to January/February temps is going to be needed :)

we'll take a week once we arrive to just relax and see some family but as we live a few streets from the beach we're over that and are ready to explore some hiking worthy woods :)

lady Rainicorn we are selling basically everything and even though some may advise against it we'll be starting a few months in advance leaving just the essentials for the last couple of weeks. I didn't know you could collect your bond in person do you have any info on how we do that or where I should look?

i think I'm even more concerned this week as we've decided to jump through the immigration hoops and apply for the spouse visa instead of taking the easy route and exercise treaty rights in Ireland.

so now I need to arrange it all around the visa process as well as the rental. I could do it easy if I wasn't as tight with my money as I am :) I like to do things as cheaply as possible though.

thanks for the help I'm going to go join that group :)