Husband wants to return to Scotland after 28 years

RMac

Hi everyone, I am not from the UK but have been reading some threads for advise and I am hoping someone may have been in a similar situation and can help. My husband grew up in the Scottish highlands, his parents migrated to Australia when he was 12 and he never quite got over it, they didn't move to a very nice place in Adelaide and Scotland has always been home to him. Just before we met he had a one way ticket and was going to move back at the age of 31, now we are living in Sydney, married with two children (5 and 7) and he is 40 years old and desperate to return to Scotland. We have enough equity in our house that we could almost buy outright in Glasgow but we have a big mortgage in Australia. How family in Scotland are very close whereas my family here are not and he misses that closeness. He has an excellent well paid job as a software engineer here and I am a nurse, are we crazy for considering selling our house and moving? Will our children forever wish that we hadn't? I am so confused.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming that you have visited in that time and feel that you could live there? Do you hold a british passport? Some of our members will be able to tell you about the visa process for Australian partners to live in UK if not and other things you need to know re: this process.

Did you train in Aus? If so this link will be helpful, http://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/joining-the-register/trained-outside-the-eueea/

I usually say that Children are adaptable, but as your hubby as proven, sometimes there is something that doesn't quite call the new place home (maybe because he was a little older), I'm sure your children would settle eventually (if not right away). I remember my son was 7 when we came to Aus and after a year at dinner asked if we were still on holiday - when we said "no we live here now" he just shrugged and said OK - we sometimes I guess project adult feelings onto youngsters when really they're not that fussed. Like any move, preparing your children, getting them excited about new schools etc.,

Just the same as move over to Aus, have the discussions about what if it's not what one of you want after a time - what will the options be, what are the time scales ... will it be a forever move or will it be a compromise if someone isn't happy?

Sometimes, even when you weigh up the pro's and cons .. you have to add what the heart is saying - if you really have nothing to lose then give it a go.

What about a trial? Take a year out, rent out your house in Australia and rent in Australia. You try Scotland without a firm commitment, if after the year you guys think yes this is for us, you stay, if not then you still have your place in Australia to return to and haven't lost anything. There is a real possibility that you will enjoy the experience for a year, but realise that it isn't quite as rosy as hubby realised, but at least you aren't throwing everything in and costing yourself a fortune in the process.

Hi everyone, I am not from the UK but have been reading some threads for advise and I am hoping someone may have been in a similar situation and can help. My husband grew up in the Scottish highlands, his parents migrated to Australia when he was 12 and he never quite got over it, they didn't move to a very nice place in Adelaide and Scotland has always been home to him. Just before we met he had a one way ticket and was going to move back at the age of 31, now we are living in Sydney, married with two children (5 and 7) and he is 40 years old and desperate to return to Scotland. We have enough equity in our house that we could almost buy outright in Glasgow but we have a big mortgage in Australia. How family in Scotland are very close whereas my family here are not and he misses that closeness. He has an excellent well paid job as a software engineer here and I am a nurse, are we crazy for considering selling our house and moving? Will our children forever wish that we hadn't? I am so confused.

Not been in that situation no, but heard of similar dilemmas many times. The good thing about your story versus some, is that you seem to be open minded to a move, so at least it isn't a very sorry tale of a power struggle here. I expect you have been to Scotland before and have a feel for what it is like. Your children are still young and I am sure they will end up like most other children, living a very happy life in Scotland should you decide to go for it.

You certainly will do well financially in moving from Sydney to Scotland. And I think if my husband desperately wanted to go back to his roots and I didnt mind either way, then I would do it as his need appears to be greater at this point.

Hi and welcome to PIO!Yes I too emigrated to Adelaide when I was aged 9!I've also lived in Scotland (Im not from Scotland originally)and its a very beautiful place.I think,if you haven't been back fairly recently,why not plan a 2 week holiday?You could hire a car and just travel around Scotland,viewing different area's,and so on.I probably wouldn't waste time viewing houses because you can do that online,but you would get a good idea of what area's you like.You would also need to consider the fact that you have been out of the country for a long time,and need to look benefits and so forth financially.Best wishes for the future,where ever that happens to be.

Thank you for all of the responses, I wouldn't mind moving personally, we spent several weeks in Scotland 18 months ago, we end up hibernating for 6 months every year over the summer because my husband and children burn to a crisp and can't stand any temp over 22 degrees. I thought about renting the house out but it is an old house and at the moment the market in Sydney in crazy and our equity has doubled, I am concerned that the market will crash at some point and our nest egg will be diminished. I don't have a UK visa, I have just started looking into the process, we are just doing the kids UK passports now. Is anyone familiar with the job market in Scotland at all? Most of my husbands family are in oil and gas so their experience is a bit different to ours I think. It is such a difficult decision, the kids have close friends and I certainly don't want them to become lost the way my husband has.

Would you get a visa to live in UK? That's often a stumbling block if you aren't of UK ancestry yourself. It might even be a deal breaker unfortunately. That aside, I'd be doing what I usually suggest o those going in the opposite direction - take a career break, rent out the house, try and get the job "to die for" then suck it and see.

Its good you have spent time in Scotland recently,and are probably up on the places you'd like to live.Thats half the battle.As Quoll has also mentioned,you do need to check you can actually reside in Scotland visa wise,and do some research on the financial bit.My skin seems to be ok sun wise but after living in Oz for 30 yrs,I became very skin savvy so always (and still do)apply the sunblock.My kids (aussies)burn to a crisp though as they are very fair skinned.

I just answered my own question you can work once they a approved which takes 2-12 weeks. Registering as a nurse over there looks a bit trickier unfortunately, I am a perioperative nurse with a post graduate qualification but it looks as though I would have to pass some uni style nursing exams, not sure I would still remember all of it:)

Thank you for all of the responses, I wouldn't mind moving personally, we spent several weeks in Scotland 18 months ago, we end up hibernating for 6 months every year over the summer because my husband and children burn to a crisp and can't stand any temp over 22 degrees. I thought about renting the house out but it is an old house and at the moment the market in Sydney in crazy and our equity has doubled, I am concerned that the market will crash at some point and our nest egg will be diminished. I don't have a UK visa, I have just started looking into the process, we are just doing the kids UK passports now. Is anyone familiar with the job market in Scotland at all? Most of my husbands family are in oil and gas so their experience is a bit different to ours I think. It is such a difficult decision, the kids have close friends and I certainly don't want them to become lost the way my husband has.

I tend to agree, although picking the top of a market is hard. But it feels about right. The kids bit is hard. But I've always found the Scottish very accepting once they have realised I'm not English.

Edited by newjez

It looks like I would qualify for a spouse visa, does anyone know if you can work on a spouse visa? The website wasn't very clear

As long as you can meet the financial requirements (income or savings) then you should be OK but if you can dig up a UK born grandparent, an Ancestry Visa is a whole lot easier to process!!!

Sure you can work, no worries, not sure about what you would have to do to get qualified but there will be some nurses along shortly I'm sure.

Thanks Quoll, I hear the job market is good but again they are all in oil and gas, I am concerned that David Cameron's proposed cuts will affect the hiring of nurses but I don't know much about the UK/Scotland political responsibility. He is going to try to look for a job from here and go from there, hopefully Australian experience is accepted

What about a trial? Take a year out, rent out your house in Australia and rent in Australia. You try Scotland without a firm commitment, if after the year you guys think yes this is for us, you stay, if not then you still have your place in Australia to return to and haven't lost anything. There is a real possibility that you will enjoy the experience for a year, but realise that it isn't quite as rosy as hubby realised, but at least you aren't throwing everything in and costing yourself a fortune in the process.

Very sensible post captain ,and the best option ...the reality of either place is often different to the dream .....

Thanks Quoll, I hear the job market is good but again they are all in oil and gas, I am concerned that David Cameron's proposed cuts will affect the hiring of nurses but I don't know much about the UK/Scotland political responsibility. He is going to try to look for a job from here and go from there, hopefully Australian experience is accepted

Sigh. I guess it is said so often that people start to believe it. There are no planned cuts to the NHS, just more plans to invest over and above inflation, same as every year since 2010. In any case, David Cameron does not run NHS Scotland, it is devolved. I am sure you would have no trouble picking up work.

Sigh. I guess it is said so often that people start to believe it. There are no planned cuts to the NHS, just more plans to invest over and above inflation, same as every year since 2010. In any case, David Cameron does not run NHS Scotland, it is devolved. I am sure you would have no trouble picking up work.

Thank you, it is hard to know what is really going on from overseas, I have barely grasped the last Australian budget let alone the UK one. Definitely food for thought.

I tend to agree, although picking the top of a market is hard. But it feels about right. The kids bit is hard. But I've always found the Scottish very accepting once they have realised I'm not English.

Er...they are very accepting of the English too!

We moved to Australia when my son was 5 and back to Scotland when he was 10, he would have never forgiven us for moving him from his homeland and I am sure would have been exactly like your husband. So will your children forgive you? Who knows but to be honest I do not think you can consider what feelings your children may or may not have at 5 and 7. A friend of mine from this site moved to Scotland with her Scottish husband with her 5 year old and two years on he is to all intents and purposes Scottish (& this is exactly what i expected my son to be like in Australia!)

There is a lot of work for Software Engineers in the Central Belt so your husband should have no problem finding work straight away - I don't know anything about nursing but it looks like you are finding out what you need to know. If your husband doesn't have a job to go to (& that could be a bit trickier but certainly not impossible) then you'll need a have a bit of capital to support your application.

I agree with the 'try before you buy' approach though - i wish we had done that moving the other way!

It's an interesting time politically in Scotland and it is very much a country on the up - I first moved here in 2002 and the hope and optimism in the air at the moment is amazing. It's almost like Australia on Australia Day :)

Thank you LR, everyone we know in Scotland is so optimistic abut the future, we have decided that we will aim to be out by September so that the kids can start school, it may be cutting it a bit fine though as we are away for three weeks in June, I actually feel really relaxed now that we have finally made a decision. My husband is emailing some contacts he has in Glasgow to start the job hunting process, I think I will try to organise my registration as much as I can from here and then sit the exams required once we are in the UK.

Thank you LR, everyone we know in Scotland is so optimistic abut the future, we have decided that we will aim to be out by September so that the kids can start school, it may be cutting it a bit fine though as we are away for three weeks in June, I actually feel really relaxed now that we have finally made a decision. My husband is emailing some contacts he has in Glasgow to start the job hunting process, I think I will try to organise my registration as much as I can from here and then sit the exams required once we are in the UK.

It's your visa you are going to need to get under way! September might be a bit close unless it's very straightforward!

I am Scottish and I've always had the burning desire to immigrate to Australia. Scotland is a great place with beautiful spots. The people here are nice - I may be a little biased there though.

Our financial climate is much better than a few years ago. Education is free, even uni tuition fees. The standard of education delivered here is of a high quality. I work in education here and I've worked internationally and specifically in Oz as well.

We get free prescriptions and the NHS is a great service, even though people moan about it.

Our public transport is good, although we don't have 'commuter' trains like Oz does. This means if your traveling by train it can be a bit more expensive compared to Australia.

Living costs are not too high.. Aberdeen is very expensive for rent and beats Edinburgh and Glasgow in terms of cost but nothing else. Also, the pubs here are brilliant. Running a car can be expensive - petrol costs, insurance and we have to get regular MOTS and services - something I didn't have to do by law in Australia if I remember right.

I had a friend who was a nurse from Oz. She got work in Edinburgh no problem at all. I do know she struggled to register in Ireland. I favour Edinburgh over Glasgow. Edinburgh is surrounded by areas like Fife where you can get a house cheaper, etc than paying city costs but still easily get in and out of the city.

Winter in Scotland is long, cold and dark. That's the biggest reason I would like to move. A lot of time in winter is spent inside. With the fire on. You would probably swap your hot summers inside for cold winters. Visiting for an extended period of time in winter might be a good idea.

I don't know if any of this will help but this post really interested me. I completely understand your dilemma as leaving Scotland for Oz, my family and all the benefits somewhat keeps me here. Could your husband come over for a 6 month or so (winter) period on his own before your family commits fully to the move?

I hope it all works out.

We tried to relocate back to UK about 3 years ago - didn't work out. Spouse visas are very difficult to obtain, even for my wife who had previously been a UK resident. The UK partner needs to have a well paying job and/or you both need to have a substantial amount of money parked in a UK bank account for about a year to qualify. Even if you tick all the boxes the application process and waiting times are horrendous - we were told could be 18 months. Didn't want to disrupt family life for that long so returned to Oz.

We tried to relocate back to UK about 3 years ago - didn't work out. Spouse visas are very difficult to obtain, even for my wife who had previously been a UK resident. The UK partner needs to have a well paying job and/or you both need to have a substantial amount of money parked in a UK bank account for about a year to qualify. Even if you tick all the boxes the application process and waiting times are horrendous - we were told could be 18 months. Didn't want to disrupt family life for that long so returned to Oz.
I believe from the information i have the savings only needs to be held for six months and doesn't have be in a UK bank. However if you have documentation to show the savings are as a result of selling a property/shares etc. the holding time can be waved. Waiting times we were told at Christmas time 2014 was 6/12 weeks.