Oz Tax Return once i've moved back

kateNollie

Will it still be possible to go through the tax return and rebate process from the UK for the part of the tax year that I work in oz?

Ill keep the aussie bank account open so they can still pay into that. Just wondering whether i'll forgo any rebate because im not longer in Australia.

Along the same lines, we get centrelink benefits of which they hold back about 2k each year to ensure that we have estimated our income correctly. Will they still rebate that if i've moved back to the UK and cancelled my centerlink payments?

Thanks!

I've been thinking about both these issues myself as we've planned to leave in July next year. So technically we should be able to do our tax as normal depending on what date we actually go though you may find more specific answers on the ATO site.

It says if you are leaving permanently before the end of a tax year you should be able to file your tax return early. I'm assuming you'd just contact the ATO or an accountant when you're ready.

as for centrelink benefits as the rebate is usually given once you file your tax return I'd assume you'd just have to show them that you've filed with the ATO and they would then sort it out.

here are the two pages I've found useful:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Going-overseas/When-you-leave-Australia/

and

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/outside-australia

hope that helped you some.

• 4 weeks later...
Will it still be possible to go through the tax return and rebate process from the UK for the part of the tax year that I work in oz?

Ill keep the aussie bank account open so they can still pay into that. Just wondering whether i'll forgo any rebate because im not longer in Australia.

How will they know you've left, if you don't tell them?