New member with some boring questions

Leslie Chow

hello everyone. New person here, so please forgive me if my questions have been asked numerous times before.

Some background first...

I'm English and moved to Melbourne 8 years ago with my then girlfriend now wife. She is English by birth but an Australian citizen, I'm just a perm.resident. We recently had our son, so he is Australian by birth. Now, I am intent on moving home to London, my wife is almost on the same page, but we don't really know what to do to get home!

As far as I can see, we need to get our son a British passport? and I need to pay back into the National Insurance for the years I have missed contributing too?

Is that it? it seems a lot easier than the months of work and mounds of paperwork we needed when we moved to Australia.

Any light that can be shed or assistance would really be appreciated. Oh, we don't have a specific timeframe, but within 12 months is the plan/goal.

Many thanks in advance

LC

There is no obligation to pay up NI contributions. It is entirely up to you.

As you are both British citizens (in fact all three of you are), then it obviously would be a lot easier than moving to Australia when one of you was not Australian.

Good luck with the move back.

:wink:

hello everyone. New person here, so please forgive me if my questions have been asked numerous times before.

Some background first...

I'm English and moved to Melbourne 8 years ago with my then girlfriend now wife. She is English by birth but an Australian citizen, I'm just a perm.resident. We recently had our son, so he is Australian by birth. Now, I am intent on moving home to London, my wife is almost on the same page, but we don't really know what to do to get home!

As far as I can see, we need to get our son a British passport? and I need to pay back into the National Insurance for the years I have missed contributing too?

Is that it? it seems a lot easier than the months of work and mounds of paperwork we needed when we moved to Australia.

You're British, of course it's easier. You and your wife (assuming she has a UK passport) could just up and get on a flight tomorrow and you could just walk straight in. I'm not sure what the situation is with your son (I'm sure someone else will pitch in to tell you) but it should be straightforward as he is British by descent.

You don't need to backpay NI contributions if you don't want to. You may find you're not entitled to any benefits for quite some time after you get back to the UK.

My only suggestion - could you stick it out long enough to get citizenship? With your wife and son both being Australian, it would be worth keeping the door open so you can move freely between both countries in the future should the need arise.

Some background first...

Any light that can be shed or assistance would really be appreciated. Oh, we don't have a specific timeframe, but within 12 months is the plan/goal.

Many thanks in advance

LC

There are i think a limit on the number of years you can back pay to NI, but you need to look st how many years you have to pay in to get a full pension and consider that against how long you intend to work.

How is the job market back here for you and also if you are going to do it you need to start and look at the strength of the dollar against the pound, it has weakened over the last 9 months and will weaken again i think once the uk election is over.,

Thank you for the info. I think citizenship is the first thing to sort out for me.

We will leave the majority of our savings and super over here in Australia, the exchange rate to the pound is awful.

We aren't looking for any benefits when / if we move back. We are both young(ish) professionals so work shouldn't be too much of a problem, plus, neither of us are afraid of hard work so we'll take what we can, much like when we moved to Australia.