What are main reasons for returning to uk?

Mazza227

I just wondered for those who decide to move back to the UK, what the reasons are?

just trying to get my head around feelings I may face when we move, I know I will miss family back home but I guess until I move won't know how I will cope with that side of it. Is that usually the biggest thing for people who don't settle, or are there other big factors I need to consider?:err:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-You may feel that you will never belong in Australia.

- missing family.

- lack of choice (food, cars, holidays, cloths, etc).

- the cost of living.

- it isn't Britain with sun

- it can be perceived as being behind the times.

We moved around the UK before we came to Australia. This helped as we knew who would stay in touch and who might not, and help use and others get used not being local.

I just wondered for those who decide to move back to the UK, what the reasons are?

just trying to get my head around feelings I may face when we move, I know I will miss family back home but I guess until I move won't know how I will cope with that side of it. Is that usually the biggest thing for people who don't settle, or are there other big factors I need to consider?:err:

I'd say that is definitely the biggest factor. I've been lurking around these forums for some time now, and it's very noticeable that people who are close to their family have the hardest time settling. When I read about people in floods of tears at the airport, I wonder why on earth they're even emigrating, but I think they talk themselves into believing they will manage.

Firstly, they see others managing to emigrate and think, well if they can handle the separation, so can I: but they forget that not all families are as close as theirs. When I married my first husband, I remember being amazed by how often he spoke to his mother, it had never occurred to me that kids stayed so close to their parents after they left home. In my family we rarely saw each other, so emigrating wasn't hard for me.

Secondly, they think there's always holidays: but then they get here and realise they're no better off financially (and if in Sydney, probably worse off) so they can't afford the high cost of flying back to the UK for frequent holidays.

Edited by Marisawright

* Family - Skype and phone just not the same as a family gathering around for Sunday lunch! I guess I value family very highly and want my children to as well

* Christmas - Its just not Christmas in the sun! -mulled wine, turkey with frosty mornings beats Christmas on the beach

* Belonging - To me, old friends are so important to have around - the ones you grew up with who really know you!

* Distance - Part of my family when I was growing up, were in New Zealand, I guess to me it was always a bit sad that I didnt really know that side of my family that well.

* Upbringing - I want my kids to have the upbringing I had - I had an awesome childhood! What seemed like endless summers playing with my cousins in the garden, walks with the family and dog in the New Forest, grandma knitting me jumpers and having to wear them when she visited, digging veggies in the garden with dad - the list is endless!

Nice weather and better wages are great and I have (really) enjoyed having both, but long term, I see myself with everything listed above!

Edited by H283

We were well settled and happy. But the immediate issue was that there were more work opportunities in the UK and we would be much better off financially. For five years we were happy to be financially worse off in return for the experience.

The longer term picture was that we could see we were missing out on family, like nieces and nephews growing up, though on a day to day basis we didn't actually miss them because we were the type of family that meets up a few times a year.

Much the same as the others really, we head back in July after 7 years out here. For me the reasons were that I missed the friends who we grew up with. I never had a sense of belonging and fitting in Aus - even though I lived here as a child too. We are in the suburbs of WA so there is not much going on so I really miss the fact we could jump on a train and go to London for the day/night or anyway else for that matter without having to get on an expensive flight. It's things you won't even realise at the time when you're in England that you'll miss, little things like the dog laws out here are crazy strict and I can't wait on our return to head to the woods and let our dog off for a proper walk. Also strangley enough I miss the seasons, its pretty much constant out here in WA, just the temperature drops a bit in winter but I do miss all the Christmas cold weather and build up.

Good luck to you Mazza227, everyone is different and for 5 years I was content and we have been very happy here it's just got to the stage where I can't see us spending the rest of our lives here but don't regret coming out here one bit, we have had a an amazing time and seen parts of the world we never would have done if we'd never come. We've always said never say never, and it helps to adjust and know England is still there. Enjoy your new adventure and at the end of the day if it gets too much you can always go back knowing you have been brave enough and experienced things you never would have otherwise.

:smile:

Lots of personal reasons for different people. For us,we needed a change (Had spent 30 yrs in Australia)and wanted to be able to afford to travel more.Over the years,on this forum I have read anything from missing family,family breakdowns,missing the culture,travelling,the beer (lol)food,diversity of places to go,etc.For some people,Australia just doesn't "fit"them.Maybe their expectations before emigrating didn't live up to the reality,for some,living in the sun isn't all its cracked up to be.I could quite happily move back to Australia and settle fwiw,as I am under no dilusion that Australia is the better country,its just different,thats all.

Anyone moved back with older kids middle teens? Feel we would mess their life up if we moved back :(

I'm sure you wont mess up your kids lives but it will get very tricky/expensive for you regarding university education if you leave at aged 16+ .......Mine are 18 and 21 and don't want to come back with us so that's another challenge!!

Anyone moved back with older kids middle teens? Feel we would mess their life up if we moved back :(

I understand your concern and we 'rushed' our move back after 5 years in Australia so our son was still at primary school. I think it depends on what you mean by 'mid-teens' GCSE courses are a two years so moving after 14 is tricky. If anything I would leave it to 16 and go straight to college - GCSE's are offered as one year courses and they could then do A levels or vocational courses. If they were high flyers they could even start straight on A levels and do a couple of GCSE's alongside.

I taught in a 6th form and saw kids achieve remarkable things - some arriving as refugees with no English, others from extremely deprived backgrounds with no qualifications going on to university after 3 years and lots of adults who believed they were 'thick' achieving things they never believed possible so moving from Aistralia with a loving family would really not be that hard.

A lot would depend on how they would feel about moving though, my son 'hated' Australia so it was easy!

There is no one answer, it depends on expectations and what you are leaving behind, my feeling is that if you're work and life opportunities are better in oz than uk then it will jell but if it is only marginally better then other minor irritations grow to be major problems and then the balance shifts and no amount of sun, sea and barbies make up for the irritants.

For us it was the realisation that the career opps in oz were more limited and limiting than the uk and then the other irritants started to become really irritating , the sexism, the nepotism, the amount of sucking up that was required to progress, and the unbelievable banality and criminal levels of corruption in public life, but that affected us directly because our work was allied to the political scene.

In short you have to have a better set of options in oz than you would have in the uk which sounds obvious and you have to be prepared for it to be very different from the uk because it is a foreign country with its own way of doing things, a different culture and a very different history and the people see you as outsiders even tho they, in the main, came from the same place as you.

Do keep your options open if you can, the two things which I am glad we did was to keep our bank accounts open in the uk and we kept on paying our NI contributions from a uk bank account, not strictly legal, the banking part but the ni is, when we returned after 10 years we didn't have a hole in our pensions, very cheap to do as well.

What were the irritants, well for us it was how limited choices were in pretty well everything, the lack competition which kept prices artificially high and finally the godawful politics and civil administration of the place, but unless you have a job which rubs up against it its fine, as I say if its better than what you had or could get back in the uk then i think it boils down to how much family means to you.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

Interesting - why are dog laws crazy strict??? Next to South Beach in Fremantle it is doggy heaven - every day heaps of dogs running free on the beach having a ball. Only place I think they are restricted is in national parks and for good reason

Could not agree more. Here where we live is doggy paradise . I walk dogs for a living in many suburbs . Lots of dog friendly areas. That comment just has me scratching my head.

Some people will never cope with moving to the other side of the world. No matter how much they think they will.

If you are mega close to your family and friends, but hate your job, the weather, standards of living etc and think that moving to Aus will make you happier then chances are it won't and you will struggle big time.

you need a pretty rock solid marriage/partnership if coming as a family unit.....cos it will be tested to the max.

If you need others in your life on a daily basis, ie your family/friends then you may struggle.

if you don't overthink it...see it as a new opportunity, embrace it, its easy to make new friends, family a different matter though but it is what it is...

nothing wrong with keeping a foot in both camps though. Never know what's round the corner .

Interesting - why are dog laws crazy strict??? Next to South Beach in Fremantle it is doggy heaven - every day heaps of dogs running free on the beach having a ball. Only place I think they are restricted is in national parks and for good reason

As mummy to two gorgeous furbabies brought over from the UK. I disagree with you, I think its rubbish for dogs used to off lead exercise here. I used to live near south beach too and agree it is fantastic, love the vibe there.

i live further south now, even closer to a doggy beach, but I don't like it. I have no off lead exercise area at all in my area. I do let them off, so we can play ball together in my local parks. I also walk them 7k most nights and sneak them off lead in park areas, but am aware I may be caught out.

would love to be able to walk them thru a nice wooded area, where they could run about, sniffing and peeing!!

Perth isn't anti dog.....just some strange rules. Let us play ball in our local park off lead. Don't hit us good dog owners with trained dogs with the idiots

In the UK it is illegal to let a dog off lead in a public place. So it is actually illegal to do so.......I asked a ranger here once while I was walking a huge GSD through a park in Waikiki why he was turning a blind eye to a woman walking a a little lap dog through the park unleashed and he said unless there is a sign on the park saying dogs on leash only, then there was nothing he could do. Still a bit confused to be honest. Any dogs I walk are always on the lead due to our duty of care and I only let mine off on the dog beach, but he's a moron and would run off to play with any dog regardless if they bit him or not. So still not sure what the ridiculous dog laws are?