Renting in the UK - what additional costs?

Aunt Agatha

After a short stay with the parentals, we'll be renting in the UK for a while. I know we'll be up for the rent itself, deposit & agency fees, bills like electricity and broadband (and the connections of those services) but does the tenant also pay council tax and water? I think we have been spoiled not having to pay rates or water here.

I'm guessing the landlord covers buildings insurance and we just need contents insurance?

That's interesting Wattsy, I thought the no rates thing must be Australia-wide.

It looks like we'll be paying about the same there as here - the rent is a bit less but council tax, water and TV license will cancel that out.

DH has been approached about a job so I thought I'd better check out houses just in case we need to move quickly. I think we'll end up still moving back in Feb but I like to be prepared.

That's interesting Wattsy, I thought the no rates thing must be Australia-wide.

It looks like we'll be paying about the same there as here - the rent is a bit less but council tax, water and TV license will cancel that out.

So, how much do those extras cost roughly?

Edited by Marisawright

I worked out a few costs monthly so we can budget properly but I think some will be payable quarterly or yearly. All prices are in pounds but I don't have a pound sign on my laptop!

Council tax - 115 for tax band C (bands run A to H with A being the cheapest)

Water - 34

TV license - 12

Then of course there are all the connection fees for landline, electricity, water, gas etc. I forsee an expensive time ahead!

I worked out a few costs monthly so we can budget properly but I think some will be payable quarterly or yearly. All prices are in pounds but I don't have a pound sign on my laptop!

Water - 34

TV license - 12

Then of course there are all the connection fees for landline, electricity, water, gas etc. I forsee an expensive time ahead!

Water might be nearer £50 a month, ours was anyway 18 months a go, family of 4 also.

Water - 34

TV license - 12

Oh! Now I know why rents in Bristol looked so cheap, in spite of everyone telling me it was an expensive city. That's nearly another 200 pounds a month.

Average 3 bed house will be band c, large 3 beds/4 beds will be a D, which was £150 a month.

Funny you should just post this, I have just been sorting through files on my old laptop and found our monthly bills spreadsheet.

Rent - £900

Council Tax - £150

Food - £400

Water - £50

Electricity - £50

Gas (or oil) - £50

Home Phone - £15

Broadband - £25 (can be free if you are in the right area though)

Sky - £45

Mobile Phones x 2 - £70 (joint)

Car Insurance (2 cars) £100

Fuel (2 cars) £200

Contents Insurance - £20

Life Insurance - £15

TV Licence - £12

Water - 34

TV license - 12

There aren't any connection fees.

Ooh that's handy! I had forgotten to add Sky to my budget so will include that. Don't forget car tax and MOT too.

I pay £55 per month for Sky, including phone line rental, evening calls & unlimited broadband. Have everything except sport and movies which would push the price up by a further 20 quid per month.

Car tax varies massively.. but normal cars range between 140 and 280 per year. MOT's 50 per year. Insurance. .. look at around 400 per year, maybe more if you don't have any no claims to use.

Thanks guys.

That's interesting @benthomas010, an estate agent told us we'd have to pay an admin fee to set up electricity accounts etc. I hadn't thought of being able to combine Sky with home phone and internet, that will save me a fair bit.

@robswife - that's the site I used to work our car and contents insurance! Really useful :-)

Thanks guys.

That's interesting @benthomas010, an estate agent told us we'd have to pay an admin fee to set up electricity accounts etc. I hadn't thought of being able to combine Sky with home phone and internet, that will save me a fair bit.

@robswife - that's the site I used to work our car and contents insurance! Really useful :-)

That's strange.. I've rented twice recently and never paid any administration fees to setup utility accounts.

That's interesting @benthomas010, an estate agent told us we'd have to pay an admin fee to set up electricity accounts etc.

I havent heard of that either.

What they will sting you with is connecting/re-connecting the phone line.

If the property has never had a phone line they charge (2007) £125 to do a first time connection.

Also, be aware that your tv licence direct debits will be more than £12 a month for the first few months (maybe 6-12 months) as they build up your account so that you are 6 months (i think) in advance. Cheek!