10 years of indecision!

Cherrydreams

Hi everyone,

I have loved the UK since I was a child, and have visited a few times (stayed there once for 6 months). I'm not an expat, however through my Mum I am now a very happy little British Citizen.

My story goes - for at least the past 15 years I've wanted to move to the UK, my heart always aches to be there, but I've never moved because I didn't want to leave my family (parents and brother), and life in Australia just took over. Friends and family have rolled their eyes many times when I've said I was planning to go, only to NOT go.

Last December I had my British Citizenship ceremony (a very proud moment!) and then got my passport. I said to all, "Once I get my passport I know I'm off!", but ten months later I'm still here. One reason I don't go is because I keep saying I'll stay in Australia and try and do what's best here, make a life here and try and be happy and do what's right, but deep down I want to cry because the UK is where I want to be be wholeheartedly. I love the UK and its people. I really feel I should have been born there! I don't know what's stopping me. I'm single, financially able to move, and have no financial commitments (i.e. mortgage, etc.). Downside is my brother's about to have his first baby and I have a kitten, but surely I need to do what's right for me. If I don't go I'll always wonder.

I try so hard to make it work here in Australia, but it actually never works. I've quit jobs because I'd planned to go to the UK, but alas, to end up not going once again. And yet I spend the better half of every single day dreaming about being there. I know the novelty wears off wherever you go, so I'm not expecting to be miraculously happy forever there, but I know it's where I want to be.

What would you do if you were me? Or any advice? Am I just scared to take the plunge????

Thanks heaps,

Cherrydreams

Can you make a decision to come for another six months, or a year in the first instance? It's easier to commit to that than thinking it's a forever move. You can extend the time away for as long as you like after that.

Tell everyone that you're taking a gap year. That way you can come and try it, see if it lives up to what you're imagining it to be and you can live without your family around you. If the answer's yes, you can stay, if not you go home after a year of having an adventure.

I think you're hesitating because it's some thing you've wanted to for a long time, and now there nothing stopping you, it's scary.

We all go through those moments when we move, but many of us have partners/jobs/families to keep us going through the moments of doubt - you're doing it by yourself. Take the pressure off a bit and look at it as an extended break.

Hi and welcome to PIO!So whats scaring you?Finding a job?And accomo?Coming over alone?Perhaps try and connect with some younger aussies who live in the UK?Try this forum,or maybe post an ad on Gumtree UK?Or even the Oz Gumtree and ask if anyone is planning a trip over?Its actually quite a big thing to do on your own hon.I did it myself (Im 53 now but left Oz the first time when I was 18).Do you have extended family in the UK you could stay with initially?

I think as Caramac wisely suggested,come over on a kind of gap year mentality.That way you're under no pressure.

If the circumstances are that you've nothing to lose (ie giving up a job that might be very difficult to get back if you decided to go back to Australia) I would go for it. There is no shortage of work in London and personally I'd sooner be 35 and single in London than anywhere in Australia. As well as everything the UK has to offer you can get all over Europe so easily and cheaply (although I suspect you may have done this a lot in previous trips over).

It's and old cliche but it really sounds like you need to get it out of your system. The worst thing that can happen is that you move over, get homesick, decide to go home, and apply for jobs properly without having the idea of moving in the back of your mind.

Take a career break and go for a year - you have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain! Buy ticket right now! Aren't you lucky toget citizenship by descent! My DH was similarly lucky and had his ceremony over 2 years ago now. He loves it here much to his absolute astonishment

If I was from Sydney and all my family were there, then I wouldn't move to the UK for all the tea in China! As it happens, we are moving back in December for family reasons and although there are some positive things to look forward to, we wouldn't be leaving Oz unless it was to help take care of my mum for a while. From your post you sound as though you clearly won't be happy until you've given it a whirl and has others have pointed out, there's really nothing stopping you.

Don't fall into the 'London trap' unless you have friends there who can provide you a good support network and somewhere to stay on arrival. There are so many great places to be based in the UK other than London that can provide a great lifestyle without the huge expense. I'd plan to arrive in April so you get an Aussie summer followed by a British one, which would surely make the transition all the more pleasant :-)

Take care and good luck!

Mart.

Edited by Wanderer Returns

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies! :cute:

I want to reply to each of you, but you've all pretty much confirmed the same thing - 'get it out of my system', treat it as a break, do it now!!! And you all made very valid points, and sometimes hearing from people who aren't in your direct circle provides a different perspective.

I've always thought going meant forever, but if I have the mindset of an extended holiday/gap year/etc., then I can always come home if things don't work out or if I miss my family terribly. I don't think Australia will ever be home properly until I get the UK out of my system. However, I'd like to think of the UK on a more permanent basis, but I'll never know if I never go.

I'll let you guys know how I get along. I need to talk to family and let them know that I need to go. Again thanks for your tips... and I'm off to watch Eastenders.

Cherry.

Nothing needs to be permenant, you don't need to make a commitment either way. Just go and do it, and remember, its only a case of boarding a flight to come back to Sydney (QF2 and BA15 operate to Sydney every day of the week!!). The more you travel, the more you realise that the world is a small place and home can be wherever you make it. Having a UK passport also opens up Europe to you, another adventure later on perhaps.

Edited by CaptainR

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies! :cute:

I want to reply to each of you, but you've all pretty much confirmed the same thing - 'get it out of my system', treat it as a break, do it now!!! And you all made very valid points, and sometimes hearing from people who aren't in your direct circle provides a different perspective.

I've always thought going meant forever, but if I have the mindset of an extended holiday/gap year/etc., then I can always come home if things don't work out or if I miss my family terribly. I don't think Australia will ever be home properly until I get the UK out of my system. However, I'd like to think of the UK on a more permanent basis, but I'll never know if I never go.

I'll let you guys know how I get along. I need to talk to family and let them know that I need to go. Again thanks for your tips... and I'm off to watch Eastenders.

Cherry.

Well, if that's not enough to put you off!! :wink:

I read this about failure to act on our desires in a book by Oliver Burkeman who I love

'You'll regret them for longer as they're imaginatively boundless. You can lose yourself forever in the infinite possibilities of what might have been .....that thing you've been wondering about doing? Do it!'

If I was from Sydney and all my family were there, then I wouldn't move to the UK for all the tea in China! As it happens, we are moving back in December for family reasons and although there are some positive things to look forward to, we wouldn't be leaving Oz unless it was to help take care of my mum for a while. From your post you sound as though you clearly won't be happy until you've given it a whirl and has others have pointed out, there's really nothing stopping you.

Don't fall into the 'London trap' unless you have friends there who can provide you a good support network and somewhere to stay on arrival. There are so many great places to be based in the UK other than London that can provide a great lifestyle without the huge expense. I'd plan to arrive in April so you get an Aussie summer followed by a British one, which would surely make the transition all the more pleasant :-)

Take care and good luck!

Mart.

This lad knows what they are on about... London is rubbish. My advice; Edinburgh or Newcastle Upon Tyne. April / May arrival = perfect.

This lad knows what they are on about... London is rubbish. My advice; Edinburgh or Newcastle Upon Tyne. April / May arrival = perfect.

Hey Surfndirt, I've heard Newcastle is an awesome place, and I do love the accent too. A couple of people have told me to go there.

I'd still like to check out London, but not really sure where I'd settle yet.

This thread is so much like my situation but i was born in England and moved when i was 11. I really want to move back to the uk but my only close relatives (younger brother and sister) wont go. I'm single no kids relatively financially secure whats stopping me. It's hard to make a decision to leave your family to start a new life back in the uk.

I couldn't disagree more. I spent two years in London - quit my job, left my family and moved over, it was the best decision of my life. I made some fantastic friends, and made the most of what London had to offer every day. I'm now living in York and whilst I love it for different reasons London will always have a piece of my heart. If your young id always suggest spending atleast a bit of time living in London!

Worked in Newcastle and some nice parts and good clubs but it is so frigging cold all of the time and the sun hardly shines...thanks but no thanks.

Worked in Newcastle and some nice parts and good clubs but it is so frigging cold all of the time and the sun hardly shines...thanks but no thanks.

Newcastle ace for a night out ...but it does have the same weather as Stratford ..

so the choice an ace night out in Newcastle ..or a dreary night out with the pensioners in Stratford ...same weather

This thread is so much like my situation but i was born in England and moved when i was 11. I really want to move back to the uk but my only close relatives (younger brother and sister) wont go. I'm single no kids relatively financially secure whats stopping me. It's hard to make a decision to leave your family to start a new life back in the uk.

If you're single, no kids, financially secure, then theoretically there is nothing stopping you. Sure you will miss your family in Australia but you have to live your life for yourself too. It is a hundred times harder when you've got a partner and/or kids as there's more people to please and more people to pay for. You've got the British citizenship so living and working there is no problem. You don't have to go forever either, try long holiday or just a year or so to start with and you can always come back again!

Honestly when I was young and before marriage and kids, whenever I got bored I just moved jobs, moved around UK, or travelled overseas and I have never regretted one moment of it. But then the commitments came and moving obvioulsy so much harder to the point that moving back to UK was unable to happen. What I'm getting at is that you should make the most of your freedom while you have it!

Seriously the longer you leave you'll always find an excuse not to do it. Don't miss out on something you may very well regret when you're older and go for it!