The Hague Convention; Child Abduction - Who has been through this....

Coops13

Hi everyone....

I have read through the various threads on the forum about The Hague Convention as it relates to Child Abduction and understand the process involved but would really like to speak with anyone who's been through it. Particularly interested in time-scales, support and effect on the children.

Unfortunately it looks like I will be heading down this route now as my wife has taken our children to the UK under the ruse of her mother having had a heart attack. After two weeks of little or no contact and my own calls to the hospital having confirmed that there had been no emergency she told me this morning that she is not coming back.

A lawyer in the UK has apparently told here that she has a good case and is willing to 'help' her (by help I think they mean charge)

There has been no physical or psychological abuse and I had thought things had improved somewhat but clearly this wasn't the case....

Really hoping I can get some information from some of you.

Feel free to PM me if you would prefer to keep it private.

I'm still in shock and more than a little lost and scared of what lies ahead.....

Thanks in advance

Guest The Pom Queen

I am so sorry to hear this. It must be a terrible situation for both of you and of course the poor children who are stuck in the middle.

Have you had a read through this thread: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/47091-children-what-happens-if-you-your-partner-decide-go-home.html

I am sure if you post on there someone will be able to advise.

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I am going through the same situation at the minute. My wife abducted the children back to the UK on 2nd November. I am currently applying to bring them back under the hague convention. Id be happy to chat, listen, support or answer any questions. Its bneen the most traumatic time of my life so I know how desperate you must be feeling and how helpless it feels. Stay positive.

Hi

Would be happy to share my experiences of things to date and will PM you tonight. I'm actually in the UK at the moment spending time with them things are in motion with the Hague Application....!

The link that is above to the other thread is an interesting one as well.

Chin up and stay positive as the law is on your side and you need to stay focussed and try and keep the emotion out of the process and get all your facts rights.

Having said that......I think I've openly cried in front of pretty much everyone I spoke to about it in the first four weeks.

So sorry to hear this. The only advise I can give is try to work out "something" both you and your partner can live with, be that you moving home, her moving back, or kids coming back to you for extended holidays. The Family Court is horrendous over here, and costs will wipe you out financially. If you can get Legal Aid (which is far from easy) the up side would be free advise, the down side would be your lawyer may simply not be available at a time you desperately need advise.

An awful situation to be in for all concerned.