Last man standing.

Melody93

Hey all,

im just after some information, feedback, anything really that doesnt involve a bias opinion.

6 years ago (this october) me and my family all emigrated to Australia from England. i was 14 at the time and being the stubborn teenager everyone is at 14, i dug my heels in and became really hard work for my mum and step dad. During the 1st 2 years here atleast. i shut myself off to the 'world' because i just didnt want to be here. simple.

Then a few years passed, i left school, moved out, got a taste of the real world. Made a life for myself here, moved back in with mum and dad (cause we all do that once atleast haha). Then out of nowhere, my family decide they want to move back to England... my mum ALWAYS plucked ideas out the air. Speacially when it came to moving, it was a different country every week!! so i sat on the fence for a few months. BUT sure enough, they were serious about going back to England, the house sale fell through twice, but they got there citizenship's and last August they all shipped off back home (England). much to my WHOLE families confusion, they were all dumbfounded that ME, the one that disliked being here the most, had infact decided to stay here. But, i did. and for the past year, i have continued to do so. Ofcourse i missed them, and it was hard at times. But i have a desire in me to do my own thing anyway by 18 i knew i wanted to travel america, and i recently got back from doing so, and am heading back next month to do some more travelling.

my thing is that im now just feeling like i exist here, im not living a life. in an ideal world America is where i want to be, but thats another story. my reasoning behind staying in australia was that i cant make the money in england that i can here. and everyone always bangs on about how **** it is for young people, bla bla bla.

but now im at the point where i dont want to be in australia, i spent xmas by myself and it was bloody awful. much like when i first arrived in australia at 14,im shutting myself off to everything because i dont want to be here, now i dont even know if i want to be in england, because i havnt been back since i emigrated here almost 6 years ago. But its where my family is, my friends that im still in regular contact with. i feel as though im missing that big part of me... iv got a nephew i have never even met.

so im just abit confused, and i am going back for xmas this year but im at the point now where its going to be a one way ticket. nothing is forever i can always come back to australia, i know that. i just have a weird sense of failure if i decide to go back? has anybody else had anything like this? or am i one of a kind?! haha..

ANYYYYYYTHING anybody has to offer me, ill gladly listen!

thanks so much!!

:)

You should go back to England and be with your family - buy that one way ticket - in fact I would not wait until Christmas - I would go as soon as I could if I were you. As you said you can always come back to Australia at a later date (get your citizenship if you haven't already done so). You say you want to be in America - go back to your family first and then work on that one. Really don't wait until Christmas to go. If you get to England and find it is not for you - go travel somewhere in Europe - it is so close. That is one huge positive for you going. Don't think of it as a failure just another step in your life. Sounds like you are getting a bit depressed and life is too short to sit on your own being depressed. Make your plans to go back and that will keep you busy until you leave - good luck!

i do have my citizenship, that was one thing i didnt want to waste, having the opportunity for dual citizenship.

i go back to america next month and get back mid september. Then its only 3 months to try sell/ship and pack up here. (not that i have much mainly my car and furniture).

Everything is so close to UK, which is something i look forward to being able to have even more opportunity, as i am young. Australia is so beautiful, and it is MY home, its where i have grown into the person i am today, leaving kind of scares me. but i know i have people waiting for me when i get to England.

thanks so much for your post.

Hey all,

im just after some information, feedback, anything really that doesnt involve a bias opinion.

6 years ago (this october) me and my family all emigrated to Australia from England. i was 14 at the time and being the stubborn teenager everyone is at 14, i dug my heels in and became really hard work for my mum and step dad. During the 1st 2 years here atleast. i shut myself off to the 'world' because i just didnt want to be here. simple.

Then a few years passed, i left school, moved out, got a taste of the real world. Made a life for myself here, moved back in with mum and dad (cause we all do that once atleast haha). Then out of nowhere, my family decide they want to move back to England... my mum ALWAYS plucked ideas out the air. Speacially when it came to moving, it was a different country every week!! so i sat on the fence for a few months. BUT sure enough, they were serious about going back to England, the house sale fell through twice, but they got there citizenship's and last August they all shipped off back home (England). much to my WHOLE families confusion, they were all dumbfounded that ME, the one that disliked being here the most, had infact decided to stay here. But, i did. and for the past year, i have continued to do so. Ofcourse i missed them, and it was hard at times. But i have a desire in me to do my own thing anyway by 18 i knew i wanted to travel america, and i recently got back from doing so, and am heading back next month to do some more travelling.

my thing is that im now just feeling like i exist here, im not living a life. in an ideal world America is where i want to be, but thats another story. my reasoning behind staying in australia was that i cant make the money in england that i can here. and everyone always bangs on about how **** it is for young people, bla bla bla.

but now im at the point where i dont want to be in australia, i spent xmas by myself and it was bloody awful. much like when i first arrived in australia at 14,im shutting myself off to everything because i dont want to be here, now i dont even know if i want to be in england, because i havnt been back since i emigrated here almost 6 years ago. But its where my family is, my friends that im still in regular contact with. i feel as though im missing that big part of me... iv got a nephew i have never even met.

so im just abit confused, and i am going back for xmas this year but im at the point now where its going to be a one way ticket. nothing is forever i can always come back to australia, i know that. i just have a weird sense of failure if i decide to go back? has anybody else had anything like this? or am i one of a kind?! haha..

ANYYYYYYTHING anybody has to offer me, ill gladly listen!

thanks so much!!

Melody.......can i just say i have nothing but admiration for you ,be proud of yourself .

firstly , i have a daughter the same age as you Australian born .

If you were 10 yrs older, recently married , and wanted a great place to bring up a family , then there is no better place than Australia .

At 20 , i would be back in europe like a shot ....my daughter was out at a nightclub until 4 this morning....she has had 3 hours sleep and has now gone shopping with he mom to stratford on avon .....alright for some

Dont just view a few years back in the u.k ....as a life in england ....in the cold and rain :biglaugh:....

A weekend in Paris .....barcelona .....the alps .......the list is endless , and europe is the place , especially at your age .

i have seen a fair bit of the U.S , and i prefer europe .

God forbid , being poor, or ill on your travels in America .......at least we get free healthcare in the e.u ,as long as we get the free healthcard , before travelling

After a few years in a rubbish job , during the recession , my daughter has landed herself a good job recently

The mistake people make , is they go back to the u.k and slot back into their old lives .....use the u.k as a base ....and go for it

Thankyou for the admiration.

i think thats what has stopped me even going back to visit, because in my head i still see england as a 14year old school girl, then everything else that people say whom have also left england for there own reasons, added into the mix. i really dont have a very nice idea of England in my head. but its my family im missing out on, and that comes before any amount of sunshine in the sky. i cant even remember what its like to have my whole family around at christmas! so that excites me. :):)

to say the least tho, im scared! :/ but travelling america also scared me, i guess its just the fear of the unknown. thing that worries me most is finding work in UK, i hope to find work from here o i can just walk into a job (high hopes) economically i have NO IDEA where england is at with it all anymore. just kinda wishful thinking..... :/

Europe on my doorstep is so awesome! iv already planned paris for newyears! whether im in england on holiday or moved back. it cost $100's here to fly even WA wide.

thanks so much again :)

I would return to the UK first before heading to America.It might just give you some breathing space to decide what you really want.As for the UK being S*** for younger people,thats a matter of opinion.I know a lot of young people (including my own aussie born kids!)who absolutely love living in the UK.Where you live in the UK determines I think how happy you are or can be.The opportunities are endless!I know one thing though.Living life in limboland is totally pointless and debilitating.Sometimes you just have to stay firm with a decision and take whatever life throws at you!Where ever you end up though,try and live in the present time.Not somewhere "out there" in the future.Accept and Adapt is my own mantra!You could spend your whole life looking for "something"that isn't even there! My fav lyric to a song is "Sometimes I get this crazy dream,where I just take off in my car,but you can travel on 10,000 miles,and still be where you are!Good luck hon and follow that gut feeling!

i think thats what has stopped me even going back to visit, because in my head i still see england as a 14year old school girl, then everything else that people say whom have also left england for there own reasons, added into the mix. i really dont have a very nice idea of England in my head. but its my family im missing out on, and that comes before any amount of sunshine in the sky. i cant even remember what its like to have my whole family around at christmas! so that excites me. :):)

to say the least tho, im scared! :/ but travelling america also scared me, i guess its just the fear of the unknown. thing that worries me most is finding work in UK, i hope to find work from here o i can just walk into a job (high hopes) economically i have NO IDEA where england is at with it all anymore. just kinda wishful thinking..... :/

Europe on my doorstep is so awesome! iv already planned paris for newyears! whether im in england on holiday or moved back. it cost $100's here to fly even WA wide.

Well done again HUGE RESPECT .......treat england as a base .........in the u.k alone there is so much to do .......GO FOR IT

I would return to the UK first before heading to America.It might just give you some breathing space to decide what you really want.As for the UK being S*** for younger people,thats a matter of opinion.I know a lot of young people (including my own aussie born kids!)who absolutely love living in the UK.Where you live in the UK determines I think how happy you are or can be.The opportunities are endless!I know one thing though.Living life in limboland is totally pointless and debilitating.Sometimes you just have to stay firm with a decision and take whatever life throws at you!Where ever you end up though,try and live in the present time.Not somewhere "out there" in the future.Accept and Adapt is my own mantra!You could spend your whole life looking for "something"that isn't even there! My fav lyric to a song is "Sometimes I get this crazy dream,where I just take off in my car,but you can travel on 10,000 miles,and still be where you are!Good luck hon and follow that gut feeling!

just to confirm what melza said .........i love it when people say " the uk is ......" .......i had it said to me by a bloke who was in the pub at 4 on a friday .....just picked up his decent wages ....and his 3-4 holidays a year ....and his new car ......if he wants a bus its there ....a train .....a flight to anywhere in the world from an airport 15 minutes up the road .......london 2 hours away ......

i couldnt be bothered to explain to him , that he hadnt got a clue ........

Definitely return to England. Check it out and see how you feel. Reconnect. Rather pointless remaining in OZ feeling as you do. Another world and usually loads of fun when young. Not having to concern yourself with where to stay only good.

Close to Europe close to America....Go for it....

Thankyou. I dont feel so crazy knowing that there are people that think i would be making a wise decision.

People are too quick to judge sometimes.

so thankyou!.

(:

Melody, I totally sympathise with your situation. My daughter was 13 when we left UK to live in Asia. She stayed in UK in boarding school and joined us for holidays for the next 9 years, but it was never really quite home. We moved then to Australia, and she stayed back in UK, but felt pretty rootless, and still does. However since then she has had some great experiences, 2 years in Mexico, nearly a year in India and then Africa, now Australia. Hope she stays, but that's a mother talking. She did miss us like mad at times, but it made her very independent, and it sounds as though you are as well. She is now 33 and enjoying living near us, but although she missed out on lots of family time, she balances that against all the fantastic times she had.

There are no easy answers, if you feel you need some family time, then have it and enjoy it, if you then want to travel some more go for it. Even though we have spent time apart over the years, we remain very close as a family, and love getting together, so time spent apart doesn't necessarily break up the family unit.

As parents we are always there for you, and welcome you home whenever you want to be with us.

good luck with whatever your decide to do.

Before my brother settled in Aus he travelled extensively from the moment he could get a student rail card. He worked hard when at home, long hours shop fitting which brought him the funds to save up for the next travelling adventure - he managed to save loads because he still lived at home (when he was there) with my dad - payed bored and towards bills/food when he was there, but not having the sole responsibility of running a house enabled him to travel. It might be that living back with your parents and saving is the best option for you.

Good luck with what you decide and enjoy your travels

I would say follow your heart, you're going back as a grown woman and that will make the experience a whole lot sweeter. You've grown, matured, learned and seen more than many of your old friends I imagine. Its certainly not a fail to return! Go be happy, you can do whatever you want to do. As Wellers said, world is indeed your oyster. See how you feel after Christmas, nothing is forever..if you don't want it to be. Good luck girl.

I would say follow your heart, you're going back as a grown woman and that will make the experience a whole lot sweeter. You've grown, matured, learned and seen more than many of your old friends I imagine. Its certainly not a fail to return! Go be happy, you can do whatever you want to do. As Wellers said, world is indeed your oyster. See how you feel after Christmas, nothing is forever..if you don't want it to be. Good luck girl.

Everything you just said rung so true, iv never thought that people are guna wanna hear MY stories and what iv been doing for the past 6 years.

Everything you just said rung so true, iv never thought that people are guna wanna hear MY stories and what iv been doing for the past 6 years.

You might melody ,a lot of people, outside of your family , wont want to here your stories .......it may bring into focus the fact that they have done jack since they last saw you ......with some people it just wont jell as it used to .....your experiences have been varied ......with others it will be like you have never been away .

Best of luck

Paris in the summer .......edinburgh for new years ........in my very humble opinion , Paris is the greatest city of them all ....love it

Edinbrugh is great! I spent last New Year's Eve there I'd recommend anyone go,

great atmosphere

Im 23 and been saying every year since i was 18 that i'll go! Im not sure if im too late to get tickets, i'll need to check. All the accommodation will prob be booked too, need to sleep on a park bench lol

Hey, sweetie, no failure in anything you have done, or propose to do. The world is your oyster and make of it the best that you can! Having been independent for a while then now is a good time to be independent wherever you move to - ie don't move back in with the folks!!!! If you and they are in UK then contact with them is going to be a breeze anyway - anything over 3 hrs drive is probably about far enough. I think every young person needs to get a taste of London living at least for a few months - give you a buzz and social whirl that will stay with you forever even if you decide to tone it down after a while. Travel to Europe/US is so much easier than from Aus. Go where your opportunities fall - you never know where you might end up! Good luck and have fun!

Hi Melody,

Like you I was moved abroad at 15 because my parent moved there (Spain) and I loved every minute of it but wanted to see what it was like to live as a working adult in the UK so at 23 I moved back to the UK but totally different area than I'd been brought up. Can I just say that I never felt a failure for moving back but felt a sense of achievement as I had lived in a different country and had very different experiences than if I'd been in the UK my whole life. So Id accomplished something most of the British hadn't and most of them said how brave I was for doing it. I lived there for years & years and moved to Australia in October last year. What I am trying to say is don't feel a failure for returning but be proud for having the B***ocks to try new things.

I don't know what kind of work you are looking for but if the jobcentre and newspapers don't have much then go to a temping agency, that was the route I took and it started my career. There will always be people that bad mouth the UK but it really is a beautiful country with lots of opportunities and loads to see and do. All the luck in the world and keep us all updated on here of how it going for you. :)